My VN pitch

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Francis

My VN pitch

Post by Francis »

This is borderline KS-related, so I'll let the mods take the call on whether it deserves its own thread or should be moved back to the other VN's thread.

Anyway. Some days ago I came to these forums with an idea that I wanted to transcribe into VN form. I was suggested to make a pitch. Here it is.

(http://i.imgur.com/aWeSi.png For those of you with lower resolutions, or in case the image tag hates me - Edit: it seems to, so click here unless you wish to see a truncated picture.)

I don't draw, so this has been a new (horrid) experience for me. However, I hope it can serve to catch someone's attention. (And again, sorry for my massacre of anime.)

A little blurb about the mentality behind my concept:
Closure (working title) is a plan for a VN that seeks to deal maturely with the "fear of living". Like most of us, (late teens to early-mid twenties males, pretty much,) the MC has to face the challenge of sorting out his life, although in an accelerated fashion (having only a few months/years to do so, instead of decades.) However, his condition, if anything, serves as a dramatisation of the fear of moving on which lingers in us. After all, whether we live to be twenty or eighty, we will all have, at a point or another, to make these choices which define not only who we are, but what we will leave behind as we move on. Trying to leave an imprint while dealing with depression, self-questioning, and existential doubt are the main themes proposed in this pitch.
On a technical side, such a VN would offer the opportunity of branching paths covering a complex script, while allowing large development of the main character and focus on the player-to-MC relationship (through VN choices), as well as his [the player's] involvement in the VN's fictive universe.

That's all I have for now. If the project interests you in some sort of way, let me know! I will probably be posting on 4chan in the next few days, as I'm desperately in need of (actual) artists.
gekiganwing

Re: My VN pitch

Post by gekiganwing »

If you're striving to create your own visual novel, then the best place to get feedback is the Lemma Soft Forums. It's pretty much the central hub for English speaking fans who are making western visual novels.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend posting on 4chan. No matter how polite and well written your post may be, it will likely result in little more than trolling, flamebait, and useless comments.

Incidentally, I've been to Montreal, and it wasn't bad. That was almost seven years ago. The book store and the independent game store which I visited are probably long-since-closed...
Francis

Post by Francis »

gekiganwing wrote:If you're striving to create your own visual novel, then the best place to get feedback is the Lemma Soft Forums. It's pretty much the central hub for English speaking fans who are making western visual novels.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend posting on 4chan. No matter how polite and well written your post may be, it will likely result in little more than trolling, flamebait, and useless comments.

Incidentally, I've been to Montreal, and it wasn't bad. That was almost seven years ago. The book store and the independent game store which I visited are probably long-since-closed...
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to look into that.
4chan remains an opportunity. I don't see the loss in posting there.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Francis wrote:
gekiganwing wrote:If you're striving to create your own visual novel, then the best place to get feedback is the Lemma Soft Forums. It's pretty much the central hub for English speaking fans who are making western visual novels.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to look into that.
4chan remains an opportunity. I don't see the loss in posting there.
Just try not to take things they say too close to heart :P
Francis

Post by Francis »

Weaver wrote:Just try not to take things they say too close to heart :P
If you can tell apart the idiots from the constructive ragers (which shouldn't be too hard), then the 4chan response (even bad) is generally insightful. (And I say generally.)
purple haired Katawa Shoujo character

Post by purple haired Katawa Shoujo character »

The guy on the left looks like he's taking a shit.