An overwhelming experience...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tomate

Re: An overwhelming experience...

Post by Tomate »

Bringerof_D wrote: no spoilers >:( i havent seen the bad ending yet!
Oh, Sorry mate.
Just Added the spoiler tag.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Joeshmoelb

Post by Joeshmoelb »

I think the point that everyone is missing here is that he has no delusions on this being a real or not, its the depression that comes with realizing it isn't real. These characters where just done so well that they can find there way into your heart regardless of what sensibilities you have, and like any good story they leave you longing after them. It's a simple matter of (thinking you are) realizing that no person will ever give you that fulfilling sense of being these characters seem to give Hisao in the end.
KaneTaker

Post by KaneTaker »

Can totally empathize. I did not date in high school so I have no reference for most of what happens making it feel very real for me. I am married now but always feel like I was missing some of that emotional base. I honestly feel I have become a better person and husband for having played. I appreciate what my wife and I have all the more! Hope that makes sense.
Joeshmoelb

Post by Joeshmoelb »

KaneTaker wrote:Can totally empathize. I did not date in high school so I have no reference for most of what happens making it feel very real for me. I am married now but always feel like I was missing some of that emotional base. I honestly feel I have become a better person and husband for having played. I appreciate what my wife and I have all the more! Hope that makes sense.
It does, you're one of the lucky few who can simply look at this for what is is, a well written story intended to inspire and captivate.
Valtameri

Post by Valtameri »

Joeshmoelb wrote:I think the point that everyone is missing here is that he has no delusions on this being a real or not, its the depression that comes with realizing it isn't real. These characters where just done so well that they can find there way into your heart regardless of what sensibilities you have, and like any good story they leave you longing after them. It's a simple matter of (thinking you are) realizing that no person will ever give you that fulfilling sense of being these characters seem to give Hisao in the end.
Yes, yes. This is exactly what it is. I now it's selfish, but i feel so depressed to know that theres no one in this world who could be like these characters are, and even if there were, chances on finding her are pretty much zero.
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
Joeshmoelb

Post by Joeshmoelb »

Valtameri wrote:
Joeshmoelb wrote:I think the point that everyone is missing here is that he has no delusions on this being a real or not, its the depression that comes with realizing it isn't real. These characters where just done so well that they can find there way into your heart regardless of what sensibilities you have, and like any good story they leave you longing after them. It's a simple matter of (thinking you are) realizing that no person will ever give you that fulfilling sense of being these characters seem to give Hisao in the end.
Yes, yes. This is exactly what it is. I now it's selfish, but i feel so depressed to know that theres no one in this world who could be like these characters are, and even if there were, chances on finding her are pretty much zero.
It is not selfish, it is a natural emotional response to being emotionally connected to someone(real or not), once they leave you will feel "sad"(hollow, depressed etc). Some people simply are more resilient then others. Personally this story really wasn't as impactful to myself as I initially thought it was, it was just a reminder of an overwhelming feeling I already possessed about the world around me. While this is clearly not a good thing, the difficulty(at least for myself) with dealing with this is the knowledge that no amount of reality will dull this for me, and that I will always feel this way.

The main difference person to person is how well you can internalize this damage to you, just as a real person has the power to break your heart, an ideal has the same impact.

Edit: One thing I didn't think to add until reading some other posts here, my main reason for this set of feelings stems from a personal issue I have, many people I have met think its a beautiful part of me and I would hate to say otherwise, but I'm overly empathetic. I make connections to easily, and get depressed to easily when they are broken. And when I say depressed easily, I don't mean I feel upset for a few days or a week or two, but each of these experiences have eaten away at me. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of each and everyone of those heartbreaks, and its terrifying.
Teizan

Post by Teizan »

I started having this feeling about Lilly, like that I had fallen in love with a fictional character after finishing her route. Especially around the ending with her leaving

Although I believe it was more of the fact it reminded me of my freshman year in High School (around 12 years ago) when the first girl I fell in love with ended up moving to another state, but in this case unlike the game I couldn't stop it or do anything about it being 14 at the time.

Lilly just reminds me of this girl and it still hurts that I was to late on confessing my feelings for her. Although after 12 years of never hearing or seeing her you would figure that feelings towards her would have gone away by now.
C27

Post by C27 »

Valtameri wrote:

The only solution is to saw your arms off and get onto the news
Rin Tezuka, Painter, withdraws from society...
Rin Tezuka, Painter has begun a mysterious construction!
Valtameri

Post by Valtameri »

C27 wrote:
Valtameri wrote:

The only solution is to saw your arms off and get onto the news
But how do i saw off the other hand, without the other? I can't use my legs like Rin does :D
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

You need to find a mechanical saw or something (or a friend willing to do it for you :P)
Or we could all get together somewhere and help each other! :D
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
Valtameri

Post by Valtameri »

charmisokay wrote:You need to find a mechanical saw or something (or a friend willing to do it for you :P)
Or we could all get together somewhere and help each other! :D
Sure, KScon 2012 or whatever. That'd be a one bloody event.
Offtopic; Where's that picture from on your profile? Haven't seen that before.
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Valtameri wrote: Sure, KScon 2012 or whatever. That'd be a one bloody event.
Where its from as in the game or where I found it on the internet?

If you mean the internet I basically searched for katawa shoujo over google, found the picture (in another size, 600x800 or something, which is too big) then copied it and put it into "image search" I quickly found a fair-sized picture.
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

I think this is the right topic to post this link http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13462
Someone will need it, soon enough.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Valtameri

Post by Valtameri »

charmisokay wrote:
Valtameri wrote: Sure, KScon 2012 or whatever. That'd be a one bloody event.
Where its from as in the game or where I found it on the internet?

If you mean the internet I basically searched for katawa shoujo over google, found the picture (in another size, 600x800 or something, which is too big) then copied it and put it into "image search" I quickly found a fair-sized picture.
Ok thanks. I haven't seen it in-game, i assume it's from Lilly's route or something? I can't bring myself to play that route so that explains it.

OR! i just can't remember seeing it due to emotional trauma. :D Who knows.
It sits in silence
Eats away at me
It feeds like cancer
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

Ahh yes (spoiler about Lilly's route) Its from Lilly's route, act three, Northern Sojourn just after they catch the train. There's also some other versions of this pic there, one where its night with the two girls sleeping and one where they are playing some card game :D