Yuno

Re: ScumBag Emi

Post by Yuno »

What is this reddit garbage?
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Yuno wrote:What is this reddit garbage?
I'm glad to see someone else shares my dislike of Reddit.

Take what 4chan and SomethignAwful make -> run it into the ground.
Last edited by Weaver on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carnificus

Post by Carnificus »

Harco wrote:I didn't feel like that at all. Maybe because I do, in a way, the same thing? You see, my father died eight years ago, on December 31 in the morning. Yes, the last day of the year. I usually go visit his grave in the afternoon, after which I go home and celebrate -- yes, celebrate -- New Year's Eve with my friends and family. But hey, I guess I am a scumbag now. Because how dare I, partying and feeling happy on the anniversary of my father's death? I should sit in a corner and cry, dammit, because that's what people do on the anniversary of a loved one's death. At least, that's what everyone whose parents still live tells me...

Sarcasm aside, I think Emi just felt very nervous about taking her boyfriend to her father's grave and thereby letting him come close to her on an emotional level. That was kind of a big step for her, you know? And what happens to be the best way to relieve stress? Indeed, by having sex. And not sex because they were horny, but sex because they loved each other. At least, that was what it looked like to me. The sex they had up until that point felt playful, this was the real deal. I found it heartwarming to be honest.
True story, if it had just been a quickie with a stranger or if she had come back and had sex with Hisao even though she didn't care for him then I'd say yes, maybe she is a bit of a scumbag. But she had sex with the man that she loved after finally letting him into her life, not sure why that's in the slightest bit the act of a scumbag.
"Stories never begin nor do they end. They are comprised of people living, an endless cycle of interacting, influencing each other, and parting ways. As long as stories are told they shall not have clear endings." -Vice President Gustav St. Germain
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

Fronzel wrote:
Benkei wrote:...acting like she and her ex-boyfriend had never even been an item (something which is eerily experienced firsthand by Hisao in the Bad End)...
What are you talking about? Do you think her ex-boyfriend is the track captain for some reason? Is there any reason to think she was lying when she (and Rin) said he was gay?
What are you talking about? Did you not read while you were playing the game? Emi had a boyfriend before Hisao. And no, it wasn't the track captain. :roll:

She explains to Hisao that she had dumped her previous boyfriend some time last year when, just like Hisao, this young man had wanted to become more than sexfriends but Emi wasn't emotionally prepared to let him get closer. In the Emi Path Bad End, Hisao's fate is identical to the one experienced by Emi's previous boyfriend. IIRC Hisao even remarks on the similarities. Hisao goes down to the track to try and talk to Emi but she completely blows him off ... by acting like her original, chipper self. In an eerie twist of events, Hisao angrily tells Emi that the way she's acting, it's as if she's going to pretend as though they'd never even known one another. And then she says something to him along the lines of "If that's what you want ^-^" and continues to jog around the racetrack. This is what I was referring to when I said that she can be pretty insensitive at times. Because, and you've got to admit this, that is one cold thing to do to somebody. To see them in the hallway and be all "Hiiiiiii~ ^.^" and wave at them all cutesy-wootsy and act like nothing ever happened ... yet all the while denying this person any chance at being friends (or more than friends) with you.
Carnificus wrote:But she had sex with the man that she loved after finally letting him into her life, not sure why that's in the slightest bit the act of a scumbag.
I think the reason that some people might find the scene a little tasteless is because they believe it's tasteless to make love on the anniversary of a parent's, spouse's, or child's death. Your personal values may differ. Several members have already demonstrated that theirs do. But many people would not consider it appropriate to have sex on the anniversary of a parent's death. I don't think I would. Like I mentioned in my first post in the thread, I wouldn't go so far as to call her a scumbag for it -- that's a bit too much -- but like I said, I definitely raised an eyebrow myself when I got to this scene at the end of the game. I did feel that it was inappropriate for her to do this. If she wants to consummate her relationship with Hisao through sex, great, then do so. But do you really have to do it not even ten minutes after your mom drops you both back off at school after you were just at the cemetary honoring your father's memory?
Harco wrote:I didn't feel like that at all. Maybe because I do, in a way, the same thing? You see, my father died eight years ago, on December 31 in the morning. Yes, the last day of the year. I usually go visit his grave in the afternoon, after which I go home and celebrate -- yes, celebrate -- New Year's Eve with my friends and family. But hey, I guess I am a scumbag now. Because how dare I, partying and feeling happy on the anniversary of my father's death?
Your situation is different in one important way: your father's death falls on a widely-celebrated (and personally-celebrated) holiday. It would be one thing if you were to host a dinner party on the anniversary of your father's death and if that day was (say) September 3 or July 28 and if, where you lived and in your own household, those days were otherwise ordinary days not normally associated with festivities. But your father happened to pass away on New Year's Eve. So it is not surprising in the slightest, nor do I think it is inappropriate, that you pay your respects in the morning but then in the evening you usher in the new year with friends and family. As you already pointed out in your post, it would most likely go against your father's own wishes if you were to allow every New Year's Eve to be a downer just because it happens to be the anniversary of his death: that you are, by celebrating the arrival of the new year, honoring rather than dishonoring his memory. However, we do not have any reason to believe that Emi's father died on a holiday. I think that, depending on the individual, this can make for a compelling case against merrymaking on that day. Sure, she isn't dancing on his grave, but ... still. I dunno. I didn't think it was appropriate. But I didn't think she was less than dirt because of it either.
yuastnav

Post by yuastnav »

Kinda reminds me of this Scrubs moment (she did it with JD during the funeral of her former husband who has been comatose for about a year or so, so I guess there is still room for worse). :p
"[...] it's just a ride."
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

It depends on perspective. Let's say I'm the lone survivor of a shipwreck and was rescued, and a hundred plus passengers had died. Let's say the first thing I saw when I woke up in the hospital was my girlfriend, and while I'm tired and perhaps bruised but in proper condition my next impulse is to have sex and we did, and I was absolutely thrilled and happy to be alive. Is it appropriate then? A hundred other lives had died on that ship, maybe even my friends and family, should I be feeling like shit and brood and grief and push her away? Am I not allowed even this small comfort because of the fear of dishonoring those deaths?

Depending on your values, Emi's actions could be either inappropriate or of no consequences. The one thing I am sure about is that Emi's dad would want Emi to be happy regardless of bullshit honor (I don't really need to say this, but most parents will be willing go as far as to drink piss - to die is not a great enough word - if it means saving their child's life or preserving the happiness), and in that sense if one form of Emi's happiness is to fuck for whatever reasons already stated by posters, he would not grudge it one bit. Depending on his personality, he might even be proud of child, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

And, truth be told, Emi is the one girl most realistically close to our world. For whatever flaws you've pointed out here is most definitely present in either one of the girls around you (moody, bitchy, etc etc) and may just be the exact model of your girlfriend. It's in fact rare to find a super driven girl whose motives is to make everyone happy like Shizune, harder a benevolent, pure heart AND rich (kinda like a princess) person like Lily, a rather stereo-typically written Hanako who exhibited all the 'good' traits of a person (inner strength, growth) but lacking almost any 'bad' ones (suicidal tendency for example), and Rin. Well you can find a Rin in a psychiatrist ward easily, but that's beside the point.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Benkei wrote:She explains to Hisao that she had dumped her previous boyfriend some time last year when, just like Hisao, this young man had wanted to become more than sexfriends but Emi wasn't emotionally prepared to let him get closer.
No, that's not what she says, but I'm not going to open that can of worms again.
I think the reason that some people might find the scene a little tasteless is because they believe it's tasteless to make love on the anniversary of a parent's, spouse's, or child's death. Your personal values may differ. Several members have already demonstrated that theirs do. But many people would not consider it appropriate to have sex on the anniversary of a parent's death.
I do not mark the anniversaries of the deaths of loved ones. I prefer to remember them on their birthdays. I'm sure they would prefer me to remember the way they were when they were alive instead of the sadness I felt after their deaths. Incidentally it's the way I'd prefer to be remembered, too, after my death.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

As someone who is dating a person who lost one of their parents, I'd have to say that Emi's actions are totally realistic.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

The Local Hentai

Post by The Local Hentai »

What the hell, you guys virgins? It's sex. She didn't piss on her dad's grave and he's been dead for a really long time. Listen, I can understand that the people in this game aren't real and should behave properly based on a predetermined pattern, but sex is a normal thing. Not just that, visiting a grave isn't a sign to stop life from progressing.

With that said though, some of the stuff she did in her route made me genuinely want to smack her (Which probably means yell at her, which probably means sit her down and talk to her).
jatmdm

Post by jatmdm »

Yuno wrote:What is this reddit garbage?
Bro, I hate reddit too. Demotavational != Reddit.
Free the Bee

Post by Free the Bee »

Mary Shelley, author of Frankenstein, supposedly lost her virginity on her mother's grave.

Emi still has some serious leveling up to do.
Appius

Post by Appius »

The Local Hentai wrote:What the hell, you guys virgins? It's sex. She didn't piss on her dad's grave and he's been dead for a really long time. Listen, I can understand that the people in this game aren't real and should behave properly based on a predetermined pattern, but sex is a normal thing. Not just that, visiting a grave isn't a sign to stop life from progressing.
Basically this. (Even though I think this thread was started as a joke.) She's acutely aware of the fact that her father is dead and it was established that being around Hisao reduced her depression, so I don't find it all that shocking really.
"Everyone used to come here, but you know... you know what it feels like when all your teeth are falling out really slowly and you don't realize and then you notice that, well, they're really far apart. And then one day... you don't have any teeth anymore. "
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Yeah, I can't say i have a problem with her timing. People experiencing deep grief often engage in life-affirming behavior, and this is one of the more common ways for that to happen. There are some egregiously bad ways in which this could be done, but none of those happened here.
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

Benkei wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Benkei wrote:...acting like she and her ex-boyfriend had never even been an item (something which is eerily experienced firsthand by Hisao in the Bad End)...
What are you talking about? Do you think her ex-boyfriend is the track captain for some reason? Is there any reason to think she was lying when she (and Rin) said he was gay?
What are you talking about? Did you not read while you were playing the game? Emi had a boyfriend before Hisao. And no, it wasn't the track captain. :roll:
Her first boyfriend doesn't come up until the end so she wasn't lying to Hisao about not having had a boyfriend before, which is what I took your first post to mean.

If instead you mean she must have treated her ex like she treats Hisao in the bad end, I think you're assuming too much. We learn very little about the relationship and there's no reason to think it ended in a big fight.
Lunar Archivist

Post by Lunar Archivist »

Fronzel wrote:If instead you mean she must have treated her ex like she treats Hisao in the bad end, I think you're assuming too much. We learn very little about the relationship and there's no reason to think it ended in a big fight.
What seems lost on a lot of people is the sheer amount of posturing Emi and Hisao are engaging in in her bad ending. His "apology" is hollow, spiteful, bitter, and dripping with arrogance and she's doing her best to maintain her emotional distance by blowing him off and pretending nothing happened. Neither is willing to budge or back down due to ego and pride, which is why it all goes to hell in a handbasket.

The fact of the matter is that we know Emi has deeper feelings for Hisao than she did for her ex-boyfriend. As he pointed out, the fact that she went through the trouble of drafting a diet and exercise plan for someone she barely knew at that point is one indication. The fact that even her mother Meiko candidly admits that she's already closer to him than anyone else at Yamaku is another, as is the fact that she's the first boyfriend he's ever brought home to meet her. Hell, when she breaks down and cries during her "second chance" ending, she even admits it.

As for what happened with her ex-boyfriend, all she says is that he wanted the same thing Hisao did: to be let in and have a deeper connection, and her emotional intimacy problems caused her to freak out and push him away. It ended differently with Hisao because of his stubborn persistence, working harder to bring them closer together no matter how hard she tried to push him away.