Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

NoOne3

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by NoOne3 »

ook wrote:I would try day 3 at least once though. It's like a confidence booster when you finish it and realize you can now run without stopping.
You know what? I think I'm gonna do it. And be aware, if you start getting hatemail and threats, my lungs will be writing those.
zanger

Post by zanger »

Althamus wrote:Do people reckon it's OK to leave longer breaks between sets though, and concentrate on increasing the number I can do, even if it means it takes per day than it should? Or is this kinda defying the point of it, and I really should be working to get my times down?
You should take as long as you need to, a minute-long rest doesn't really make any sense in actuality
the world would be a different place without you or me but who else would realize it?
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

zanger wrote:
Althamus wrote:Do people reckon it's OK to leave longer breaks between sets though, and concentrate on increasing the number I can do, even if it means it takes per day than it should? Or is this kinda defying the point of it, and I really should be working to get my times down?
You should take as long as you need to, a minute-long rest doesn't really make any sense in actuality
Going along with it (Cause zanger is right about taking a break you deem appropriate.) it's more of a yes and no.

Basically the shorter break you take, the more you're stressing and stretching out your muscles and not allowing them to return back to its original state. (Which is what your doing with any routine)

So as long as it's a reasonable break to fit the routine then there's no problem. (I aim for 45 sec ~ 1 min rest.)

EDIT: But to increase your stamina stick to some cardio. What I do is when I'm on a bike/machine I monitor my time running at an appropriate pace to keep my heart racing until 15 mins have past, then the last 5 minutes I alternate each minute with running my hardest, then running back to the pace I was before. The last 5 minutes are when I allow myself to run casually and rest a bit, essentially my "walk". (Run 25 mins total)
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

NoOne3 wrote:I, on the other hand ran today 8min non-stop. Twice. (week 5 day 2)
Not very impressed? You may all laugh, but I'm not sure if I've ran for so long since... ever? Maybe back in P.E. in high-school there was some long run, but I sucked at that even without the coke-belly I have now.
Still, I don't feel man enough to run full day 3, so I'll just repeat week 5 day 3 three more times, and then I'll try.

And I dismissed what the scale was showing for some time now, but today morning I couldn't deny it. I lost 10kg (that's like 22lb for those imperially inclined) since taking up running with Emi.
Easter is coming so I'm bound to gain some (since any holiday here is just eating, watching TV and talking about nothing in particular) but as long as I do my runs, I can expect being on a downhill slope in this departament.
Feels good man. Just 30min thrice a week...

Cheap shoes doing ok. Have to look for some mud on the way though, since you could pick any colour you wanted at the store, as long as it was white, and I don't like the shine of new white running shoes. It just don't go with me well, I'm more an olive-khaki man.

And another somewhat interesting story I have: Everyone has it's own laps.
I basically run in circles on a forest path very close to the residential I live. On the first time around I went pass an elderly man, looking somewhat seventish maybe. He was walking slowly, using a stabilised cane (like this one here). He had a track suit, and it looked like he was recovering from broken legs, or someting (hip operation maybe?) and just practicing walking.
When I passed him the second time he was resting on a bench, some 100m further the road, and while I was running pass again, lurching somewhat and wheezing, he was laboriously walking back to the project. I'm not gonna give him Emi's schedule, or anything, I didn't even say hello (since I don't really know him) but I felt for a moment some kind of vague solidarity.
We both did our laps today.
Congrats on losing weight. 10kg is no small amount when it comes to losing weight with no crash dieting. As for the old guy with the cane, if you see him regularly at all I say you should say hi and try to strike up a conversation. Showing up and seeing one another every once in awhile to compare progress would be pretty cool and running into each other doing laps sometimes would be nice just to see you are both out still going at it.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
Danze

Post by Danze »

Completed Week 5 Day 2 yesterday, and didn't actually feel too bad after the end. Tonight was the last night of a 4 day in a row gym stretch, so I'm gonna take the weekend off and do W5D3 on monday. 21 mins straight...I can only imagine what my legs will feel like. >.<

@NoOne3: That's awesome to hear about your weight loss man, I bet that's a great feeling.

@gRaViJa: I tried doing full blown running after being used to fast jogging once a couple weeks ago and crashed out after only about 3 mins. Have you thought about doing suicide runs? Those will really destroy you!
"The last thing you'll never see"
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Danze wrote: @NoOne3: That's awesome to hear about your weight loss man, I bet that's a great feeling.
Mentally I felt a little confidence boost maybe. Physically I didn't notice it much. But I don't really feel like "getting better", more like "getting back to normal", since I was gaining before, and seeing 100kg on the scale one day was one of the reasons that made me take up 5k plan.
The weightloss isn't showing. I don't really look for my weight either. My GF was shocked, when I told her how much I weighted three months ago.
HurricaneHarvey wrote:Showing up and seeing one another every once in awhile to compare progress would be pretty cool and running into each other doing laps sometimes would be nice just to see you are both out still going at it.
To be honest I don't feel confident enough to talk to strangers on the street like that. After all I'm prancing around just for fun and games, and the guy's really struggling, relearning how to walk. I guess I'll leave it at that.
completesky

Post by completesky »

Danze wrote:21 mins straight...I can only imagine what my legs will feel like. >.<
I remember the 21 minute run being surprisingly easy, but if your legs hurt outside of running it may be worth your time to invest in a sports recovery drink/supplement. I know I benefited hugely from them and would recommend them to anyone who has an active schedule on top of running.
Emi's Couch to 5K - Done
Emi's Couch to 10K - Done
100 Push-Up Challenge - Pending
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Ok... I'm struggling not to tell another cheesy knee joke.
I must've pulled a muscle or tendon slihtly, since after few minutes into planned 21 I started feeling some pain at the back of right knee. I stopped to check it out, and then decided it's not worth it to hurt something more. Now it seems ok, but it feels slightly sore. It's not the pain I have before I bought running shoes, since it was at the front, and more at the joint itself, but I guess I'll wait till monday, and try to jog some then.

So I consider my attempt a dud. But no pain, no gain, and whatnot... I'm not gonna just quit now.
Manman

Post by Manman »

I'm currently on the last day of week 4 on the 5k and second week on 100 push (starting on week 3),

I've had a fever the last three days and I leaving on vacation for 3 days with some freinds. I'll fall about a week behind, will this matter?
How fast does your fitness (right word?) decrease? Should i redo a week? Ofcourse I'll notice myself when i start running , but I dont wanna set my mind to one a run and not be able to finish it. So far I have finished every week without faillll.

tips?

kthanksbye.
Danze

Post by Danze »

completesky wrote:
Danze wrote:21 mins straight...I can only imagine what my legs will feel like. >.<
I remember the 21 minute run being surprisingly easy, but if your legs hurt outside of running it may be worth your time to invest in a sports recovery drink/supplement. I know I benefited hugely from them and would recommend them to anyone who has an active schedule on top of running.
Yup, I agree. I usually drink just water on the days when I do all weight-training but any days I do running I always bring a sports drink, makes a nice difference. And some kind of protein shake/drink makes a big difference in recovery too. Actually helps my muscles feel not so sore afterwards.

I was able to do the 8/5/8 no problem and I've gone as long as 11 mins straight running so far, so I think I should be ok for W5D3. We'll see, I suppose.
"The last thing you'll never see"
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

For the last two weeks I haven't been jogging at all do to falling down the stairs and hurting my ankle. I guess that part is a little like Emi too.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Manman wrote:How fast does your fitness (right word?) decrease? Should i redo a week?
I guess a week, or two even won't matter much. After I took a week break I noticed I have even more energy at the first run. I guess it came partly from motivation/guilt and secondly the extra recovery time. A week is not a major setback.
I've redone the week then, but I think I could have tried harder and got the next one done.
Notguest wrote:For the last two weeks I haven't been jogging at all do to falling down the stairs and hurting my ankle.
Sorry, but seeing all those workout/calories tables everywhere I just thought for a moment how much calories can one burn falling down a single flight of stairs. Some scientists should be at it right now.
NL-=3

Post by NL-=3 »

Long time no post, but I'm almost @ week 4. I kinda look forward to just running with no pauses, because I feel a lot more exhausted when I stop running and then need to start up again.

Yesterday I went running in the rain, at first I was like: aw, rain? But instead of being a hindrance, it was a nice cool shower when running. :)
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Woohoo, 45 km yesterday, mixed down- and uphill track. 2:45 straight, with only a few short breaks for hydrating and chewing a bit of a fruit bar. And that even wit a somewhat bad shifting due to (probably) a bent sprocket and a lost cleat on exactly half way :D
Also lost 8 kilos since February. That makes a minus of 47 kg altogether. I can do it!
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

I think I strained a muscle last time I did my pushups, as it's not been hurting, but I could tell it hasn't been right over the last couple days. Finally felt OK today, so I repeated last time's exercises again.

12/17/13/13/13 again, this time with 2-2.5 min breaks inbetween sets. Didn't quite manage to get to 17+ on the final set, but my muscle was starting to twinge again a little. Arms kinda hurt now, but I'm enjoying it (leastways, enjoying it all except the last few pushups on each set xP) and looking forward to Monday and starting properly :D
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101