Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:85 minutes on a hilly course the day after a workout and a pick-up run. Tired as all heck and ready for a day off, but it felt really good to run somewhere different.
Yeah, I can imagine it did :) Is where you run usually fairly flat?
My neighborhood and the surrounding areas have some light rolling hills here and there, but nothing substantial. The park I went to was about 45 minutes away and it has really tall hills all over the place, which is great for workouts and strengthening runs, plus it's scenic as all heck, but it takes its toll afterwards.

Thank you, dr2. I try. Just remember, I've been building up to stuff like this since seventh grade, so it took a long time to get there. I'm fairly quick, but I'm no prodigy by any means.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
TK8305

Post by TK8305 »

Emi's Route certainly inspired me to get more exercise in. I go out for long walks every day and do stomach crunches all the time. I've cut back on junk quite a bit. Only a few Mint Oreos here and there.

I definitely have her to thank for my drop from 210 to 196. Hoping to shed more soon!
My YouTube | My Twitter[/font][/size]<p>Currently LPing: Pokemon Diamond (NDS) / Link's Birthday DX (ZC)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

TK8305 wrote:I definitely have her to thank for my drop from 210 to 196. Hoping to shed more soon!
Hey, that's definitely some really nice progress there. Keep it up, and remember that it's more than just the numbers, but the great benefits that come with them that will matter.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

TK8305 wrote:Emi's Route certainly inspired me to get more exercise in. I go out for long walks every day and do stomach crunches all the time. I've cut back on junk quite a bit. Only a few Mint Oreos here and there.

I definitely have her to thank for my drop from 210 to 196. Hoping to shed more soon!
That's fantastic :D It's gonna sound counter-intuitive, but make sure you don't do stomach crunches too frequently as it might increase your chances of abdominal injury if it's too much :) But as long as it's not feeling like someone's permanently ironing your gut it should be fine!

Jeez, that's a whole stone isn't it? Keep at it, you're doing fantastic :) And as Spunky said, take pride in what you've achieved because the confidence changes are actually more awesome!
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Zarys

Post by Zarys »

It's a good thing I'm not a emibro; running is too tiring. :mrgreen:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Zarys wrote:It's a good thing I'm not a emibro; running is too tiring. :mrgreen:
Haha, I'm afraid I switched allegiance (Emibro to Rinfidel), but it got me into running which has really improved my general outlook on myself and life (I'm still by no means Mr. Optimist, but I'm more like I used to be a few years back now). You should try it, or go cycling :D
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

metalangel

Post by metalangel »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:You should try it, or go cycling :D
Absolutely this. I can't run, I have two bad knees and a bad ankle. Cycling, meanwhile, is much lower impact.

I have no idea how much weight I've lost doing it and hiking - in terms of numbers. In terms of appearance, I've had to go out and buy slim fit everything because normal stuff looks too big on me now. I put on a t-shirt that someone got me for my birthday a few years ago that was way too small. Now it fits perfectly, like a glove, showing off my lean torso.

My goal is still 170lbs (6'2") but I might keep going after that for 165lbs, which is what I was at the end of high school. I'm not muscular/ripped/shredded, never was. But I look in the mirror now and like what I see, and want to keep it like that.
ShadowKnight

Post by ShadowKnight »

I'm about 185cm(6'1'') tall and weigh about 70kg(155lbs) and started running today. It's kinda true, it clears your mind and I hope it also will increase my condition, so I'm able to play paintball as aggressivly as i want to :D
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

So, I'm going to a convention next week, and was planning on using the hotel's treadmill. I've never used one before, so if anyone had some advice to offer, that'd be great.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Hoitash wrote:So, I'm going to a convention next week, and was planning on using the hotel's treadmill. I've never used one before, so if anyone had some advice to offer, that'd be great.
Don't go mental on it xD You're better off building up speed on one than going straight for a fast speed. Seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many try it. Also, maybe bring something to focus on, as the sensation of not moving anywhere despite the effort drives me up the wall!

Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Hoitash wrote:So, I'm going to a convention next week, and was planning on using the hotel's treadmill. I've never used one before, so if anyone had some advice to offer, that'd be great.
Don't go mental on it xD You're better off building up speed on one than going straight for a fast speed. Seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many try it. Also, maybe bring something to focus on, as the sensation of not moving anywhere despite the effort drives me up the wall!
I listen to music when I jog to help focus my mind, would that work?

And I was wondering about the speed. I build up to a sprint normally and average 6 miles an hour, but I figure for something consistent 4 or 5 would make more sense. Especially if I'm walking 'round a convention when I'm not at an event.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Hoitash wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
I listen to music when I jog to help focus my mind, would that work?

And I was wondering about the speed. I build up to a sprint normally and average 6 miles an hour, but I figure for something consistent 4 or 5 would make more sense. Especially if I'm walking 'round a convention when I'm not at an event.
Yeah, that would probably work. Just something to take away from the feeling you're going nowhere despite the effort :p
A consistent 4 or 5 would be good, and then whack it up to a 6 if you feel like you're up to it.

metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I walk at 4mph, so 5 or more seems better for a sustained jog on a treadmill.

Have you considered long walks or hiking? You don't need any expensive equipment, you don't have to just stare at the walls, fresh air, less impact than running or jogging on your joints. It's good as a regular thing too.
LordMarluxia
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.

Post by LordMarluxia »

Wait wait wait... I've seen Hanabro before but thought it was a one-shot. But now I've read, in the same paragraph, both Emibro and Rinfidel.
WHAT IS THIS!?

Also, I used to run. But I have a chronic leg injury and too much strain causes the knee cap to dislodge, and the pains are horrendous.
I was a karteka for many many years, but sadly due to work (and leg pains) I had to stop.
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

metalangel wrote:I walk at 4mph, so 5 or more seems better for a sustained jog on a treadmill.

Have you considered long walks or hiking? You don't need any expensive equipment, you don't have to just stare at the walls, fresh air, less impact than running or jogging on your joints. It's good as a regular thing too.
I jog outside without a problem (including this last winter, which sucked) it's just I'll be at a convention in an unfamiliar city (and it'll be pre-dawn in some cases), and I haven't missed a run in two years (jogging while sick... can be kinda exhilarating, actually) and I wanna try and keep at it during the convention.

With a 24 hour sports room and a 6 am leave time Thursday, a treadmill seems like a decent option for five days.