Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Junpei

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Junpei »

I have been doing workouts lately because my dad gave me the membership or something as a gift, but then, after playing Emi's arc just now, I think, I'm more motivated to push myself even further, and of course, not risking to get a sudden heart attack. :lol:
Bix

Post by Bix »

I just got on the scale, and I've lost about 30 pounds since the beginning of the year, seeing as I have 100 pounds to lose for my ideal goal, this is a huge breakthrough for me. I have struggled with losing the same 10 pounds for the last year, so this was a welcome sight.
**Library 99% complete.**
1. Emi *Done*
2. Rin *Done*
3. Shizune *Done*
4. Hanako *Done*
5. Lilly *Done*
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Not really related to Rin, but after a recent all-nighter fueled by caffeine I plan on cutting it out bit by bit. And replace my fast food with something healthy. Just had carrots with Lite ranch today for lunch. And I plan a decent dinner, maybe a grilled chicken salad. Not sure. But I've had horrible habits ever since I was a kid. I was allowed to eat whatever I want since my family didn't have the heart to say no I guess. I mean I sliced off a big hunk of cheese and walked off with it. I never formed healthy habits. But seeing how badly my body has fall into disrepair I plan to work out, (But as soon as my condition kicks in I'll have to stop) It'll take a lot longer and will be considerably slower paced. But I will get healthy enough to walk around town without needing medicine to help. That's my dream anyway.
"We can not see past the present if we refuse to turn away from the steps we have already made in our wake."
urishima

Post by urishima »

Bix wrote:I just got on the scale, and I've lost about 30 pounds since the beginning of the year, seeing as I have 100 pounds to lose for my ideal goal, this is a huge breakthrough for me. I have struggled with losing the same 10 pounds for the last year, so this was a welcome sight.
And I thought I had it bad. Stood on the scale yesterday for the first time in roughly a year (batteries died and I couldn't be bothered to replace them) and ended up with 90 Kilo. Have to loose roughly 20 of those to get into the healthy zone again but on the other hand, I am fairly broad for my height (shoulders for example) so my ideal weight might be a bit more than what the BMI suggests. I mean, BMI isn't that accurate anyway.

I really envy my brother and his messed up metabolism. Fella wont gain weight no matter how much he eats.
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako
Chase

Post by Chase »

urishima wrote:I've also started working out but a little piece of advice here:

Working out daily isn't really healthy, your body needs a day to repair the damage done by your workout. I asked the trainers in the gym I go to (all professionals) and they urged me not to go running every day but every 2nd day instead.

Good luck to both of us ;)
I run college cross-country and when your not in shape at first taking it easy is all well and fine, but to get in decent shape you really should do it 5-6 times a week. It's more how you do it then anything. If your just jogging the damage to your body isn't that severe, as most of the difficulties people have when they begin running isn't their legs but their lungs. Learn your pace and go at that and you'll feel better.

Also pain in your legs from lactic acid buildup from going anaerobic is best fixed by actually doing a slight completely aerobic workout or icing/cooling your legs afterwards.
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

Well I have gotten to 1.75 miles up from my 1.25 a little over a week ago so I am getting farther in my jogs already. Also I had to go by the doctor yesterday and good news is my blood pressure has already shown a marked improvement which is extremely encouraging. So far I am liking going 6 days a week but only doing weights every few days. Keep at it.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
HurricaneHarvey

A friend who lost a couple hundred pounds over the last two years pointed something interesting out to me. If you lose any significant amount of weight from running, IE 10+ pounds, it becomes that much easier to do the same time and/or distance. His solution was, rather then run longer, to weigh himself once a week and then make ankle weights and a heavy backpack that made up the difference in weight from his original. While awkward from not being distributed across his body it meant he was still doing a relatively similar amount of work from the same runs rather then having take longer and longer.
jaycee

Post by jaycee »

the other 4 days are like the first 3?
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

jaycee wrote:the other 4 days are like the first 3?
Did You mean the workout plan poster?

Than no, it's meant as a plan of three runabouts weekly, with a day or two of recovering time in between.
I guess it's so designed as to let you adjust it to your weekly schedule, and not get you overworked and resign too soon. Remember it's just a health jog, it won't get you through olympic trials any time soon.
Last edited by NoOne3 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logan

Post by Logan »

I love this thread it shows a really good impact this game is having on people, anyway i have been meaning to get in a regular jogging routing for a while now and after playing KS it has given me the motivation to do so, at the moment i go on 45min jog/walk each morning at about 7.00Am four days a week (the other three i am at collage so i don't have time). I have just gotten into this routine so it is really hard to force myself up in the morning and get my feet hitting the ground, but as with anything i am confidant that it will get much easier over time if i just stick with it, anyway is wish all you guys the best of luck!
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Ok, i'm tinkering with something, that might be usefull for Emi-runners, and whatnot.

On my ineffective and infrequent attempts to run that beer-muscle of mine around (and I don't even drink beer, mind you) I was always finding an mp3-player an indispensable help. So, I got a pretty simple idea (I bet someone did that before).

I'm using an old player, with RockBox software (independent soft for many such devices) installed, so one of it's function is playing stored files, according to an .m3u playlists (you can compose a playlist using the player itself, but it can be done on your PC, with winamp, or anything else using .m3u format).
I've searched my stored music files, for those lasting roughly the proper amount of time, according to "run with Emi" poster and composed them into trenning-plan .m3u-s.
Because for some of the longer ones I had to combine up to four songs (having some Pink Floyd helps to fill 30min with just 3 songs) I looked for some voice command files... and while not finding any, i found a site with sample military bugles (orders given in the form of trumpet signals), and put them inbetween the songs, to indicate a change of pace.
I didn't know the one meaning "march" before, but it's distinct, since it consist of one long note. And for the running part I used the "charge" bugle, which is widely known signal, you can find it on every movie with cavalary in it (and Bugs Bunny cartoons, for those of the older persuasion, like myself).

Because .m3u-s takes next to none disk space, I composed a single one for every day of planned workout, and named them according to days and weeks, so they can be erased after every jogging practice, and put them in a separate folder on the mp3 player.

Now I'm considering making the whole deal more Katawa, by using the tracks from Enigmatic Box of Sound, which I found a minute ago to be released. It would probably take some editing (cutting tracks into the proper lasting time) though. Either way it's a fun idea I would like to share with anyone willing to use it.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Yep, started doing sports after Emi's path, replaying her path again every few days for staying motivated. Right now even pain won't stop me and I am also almost finished rebuilding my bicycle. Hope starting some weight training next month.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Bara

Post by Bara »

Darkish-One wrote:My little appartments to crampt to do much except basic push ups and sit ups and as for jogging, can someone who's 60+ pounds overweight and can't run a block without stopping to catch your breath or pulling all kinds of muscles you forgot you had? Sure he can but I really need a new location since Jersey City people making this harder on a dude like me. .-.
Well for something to get your heart rate up that can be done indoors maybe you can find a spot where you can skip rope (ground floor, basement or other common area. Yeah, not in an apartment)? Not the same muscle groups as running, but getting the pulse rate up is the important part to start.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
HurricaneHarvey

NoOne3 wrote:Ok, i'm tinkering with something, that might be usefull for Emi-runners, and whatnot.

On my ineffective and infrequent attempts to run that beer-muscle of mine around (and I don't even drink beer, mind you) I was always finding an mp3-player an indispensable help. So, I got a pretty simple idea (I bet someone did that before).

That is a great idea. I always listen to an audio book while I run. Less to keep track of time and more to keep my mind focused on something else so I don't notice the time going by or as much of the strain. Music works too but I find its not as good as actually having to pay attention to something like a book. Also music with too slow a pace tends to mess me up if I am running or riding a bike.

Oh and checking in at two weeks and still going, everyone keep going at it.
thisismyname09

Post by thisismyname09 »

I read Rin's route first, so instead of starting to exercise, I started eating oranges.