Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

HurricaneHarvey

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

MoogleDee wrote:Emi's Couch to 5k is complete! I'd like to give a big shout-out to the people on this thread!

You guys rock.
congrats
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
completesky

Post by completesky »

MoogleDee wrote:Emi's Couch to 5k is complete! I'd like to give a big shout-out to the people on this thread!

You guys rock.
Congrats man :)
Althamus wrote:As in blisters? I'd suggest leaving it a few days to let your feet at least partially recover if the bandages aren't enough to avoid them keep irritating the wound, otherwise your feet won't be able to heal properly, getting the wound irritated every other day, and will scar.
Urite. Taking time off (which I'm doing now) sucks. I can probably start again in a couple of days, though.
Kilo wrote: I'm getting increasingly annoyed because of friends racing me, I losing and then they tell me that I'm not improving. :roll:
At least I can convince myself that I'm doing endurance training now and speed can wait a week.
Tell your friends to run 5k.
Emi's Couch to 5K - Done
Emi's Couch to 10K - Done
100 Push-Up Challenge - Pending
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Thanks for the pep talk Socio, those are some funny pictures. Perhaps by year's end I'll rate my very own badass pipe and bonnet. :)

Thanks also MoogleDee, Althamus, and Kilo. Now that I've stumbled onto the fitness train, I'm not getting off. I'm really pleased with the small improvement thus far. If my shin splints get a lot worse, I'll even resort to swimming. *shudder*.

You guys rock.
Good for you, Mog. That's an accomplishment to be proud of.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

This morning I participated in a charity 5k run/walk, with the benefits going to rehabilitation programs for stroke survivors. I ran/jogged for the entire 3.1 miles without stopping (I tried to record my time, but my phone ran out of batteries in the middle of the run -.-). This coincided with Week 9 Day 3 of my Couch to 5k program, which means I can officially say, as I sweatily sport the t-shirt I received for participating:

Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Slitsen wrote:Depending on the state of your body and condition, a sudden start of working out might make it go "WHOA!".
I think that actually taking it slow in the beginning is the best way to go and not take any shortcuts. It might tear a bit on the patience since usually when one gets into the mood of working out then it's hard to leave that feeling :P Focusing on letting the body recover properly before the next session can be crucial in the beginning for many depending on how active you usually are.
I myself am pretty out of shape right now compared to a year ago and I thought I'd start by taking long brisk walks every day as a starter before stepping it up. I'm not in a hurry right now anyway.
But, no matter how weird I feel admitting it, the Emi route did make feel like I should get my sh*t together and stop slacking so much.

Best of luck to everyone who are thinking about starting to work out a bit more!
yep, 'tis true. I kinda got inspired by Emi after finishing the game (coz I barely do any physical activity.) And asked my friend to help me with my work out (since he's already good at it). Then pulling some weights and barely finishing the set, my whole body was kinda aching...I had to roll out of the bed just to get up when I wake up. wahaha~ (I couldn't even bend my back.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Mirrormn wrote:*snip*
Congratulations as well! :D Everyone seems to be completing the program at once xD

Hot on the tail of that though, I've decided to delay my own program xP
I finished W4D3 yesterday, but fell short by 5 pushups on the final set. In addition, I've got company this weekend, and was meant to do my exhaustion test (which judging by last time, will leave my arms aching like crazy for a couple days), so decided to redo W4D3 next week Mon and Wed, and then do my exhaustion test on Friday, which should ensure that I'm really ready for W5 (which looks to be a 'fun' one :P)
After all, I'm in no rush to complete the program. I've got the rest of my life to be fit in :P And I'd rather not go too fast and either hurt something or end up cheating because I can't keep up.

On an unrelated issue, I went food shopping today. Normally I walk to the shops and back, but today I took the bus as I was pressed for time, and was reasonably glad I did. Admittedly, knowing I was going to be taking the bus I went a bit crazy on food shopping, but after the 0.25mile walk to the bus stop, and then 0.25 mile walk from the bus stop to home, I was pretty tired. I went and weighed myself, and found that I was just over 8 stone unemcumbered, but weighed over 13 stone when carrying all the bags. I carried over half my body weight in food shopping back.

Yes, that is a lot. Or at least, to me.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
ook

Post by ook »

Congrats guys. I, too, finished the program today with a 5k. I ran the whole time (well, as fast as I could, which was slower than some of the walkers lol). I finished in 51 minutes and got my t-shirt :D

As far as where to go from here, I'll probably keep running about 30 minutes and work on getting faster, rather than going the bridge to 10k.
My next goal will be to run a mile in under 12 minutes (for the fitocracy quest lol)

As well as other goals:

- Do 10 "real" pushups - I'll work on incline pushups for now til I build some muscle/lose more weight

- Do one pull-up - This'll take a while lol

etc, etc

Anyway this was great, thanks emi and you guys
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

ook wrote:Congrats guys. I, too, finished the program today with a 5k. I ran the whole time (well, as fast as I could, which was slower than some of the walkers lol). I finished in 51 minutes and got my t-shirt :D
Virtual high five!
ook wrote:As far as where to go from here, I'll probably keep running about 30 minutes and work on getting faster, rather than going the bridge to 10k.
Same for me. My plan of attack is to try to find a new running route that is an accurately measured 5km, and start timing myself. I'm signed up for a more competitive 5k event for the end of June, and I don't want everyone to run past me!
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Double high fives all around to the other EC25K finishers! I absolutely intend to continue running three times a week while trying to kick up my speed. I've said before how I prefer running in the mornings, but I've noticed that whenever I run in the afternoon I seem to perform better. Oh well, I'll keep experimenting with it.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Akros

Post by Akros »

well, so far week 1 is over and feeling great! Today I even did a little running ( soccer game )and no problem whatsoever :D
I'll keep doing de 5K run and start with the push-up challenge this coming week. I'm getting really motivited here and looking foward to those runs, hopefully progress should eventually start to appear :)
BTW the music from the first post it's great, it really helps me to keep the times and besides, there's even KOF music in it, so it can't be bad xD
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P

Post by Guest »

MAN!
It really makes me happy seeing so many people completing their runs.

I'm currently on the third day of week 6, so im atlseast more than half way in (if ya know what i mean).
StepmaniaFreak

Post by StepmaniaFreak »

I'm such a lazy bastard and I just recently got a job where I'll be on my feet a lot. I'm thinking it's finally time I got around to doing this. It'll probably make my parents shut up about me not getting enough fresh air! :lol:

It's not my fault all my hobbies involve sitting on a chair or bench!
Musique

Post by Musique »

My story is, I've always been known as a bad runner, but I'm pretty inspired now. If Hisao can do it with a bad heart and risk his life but live. I can do it with no risk but by being hit by cars around my neighbourhood.
Not thinking about it too much, but if I finish this, I can imagine myself running with little effort now.
Any beginner tips before I start this program? :3.
Couch to 5k with Emi!

Week 1 D123--------Week 5 D123
Week 2 D123--------Week 6 D123
Week 3 D123--------Week 7 D123
Week 4 D123--------Week 8 D123
-----------Week 9 D123---------
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

Musique wrote:My story is, I've always been known as a bad runner, but I'm pretty inspired now. If Hisao can do it with a bad heart and risk his life but live. I can do it with no risk but by being hit by cars around my neighbourhood.
Not thinking about it too much, but if I finish this, I can imagine myself running with little effort now.
Any beginner tips before I start this program? :3.
Listening to something while you go helps most people a lot.

Nice work to ook and Mirrormn on the group 5k runs.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Musique wrote:Any beginner tips before I start this program? :3.
The thing I wish I'd done more of during week one is stretch beforehand. I did some, but obviously not enough. Especially the shins - mine tightened up like violin strings on the first two days. There's a good stretching diagram in the original post on this thread.

Congratulations MirrorMN and Ook! Lookin' good.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!