Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dwarduk

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by dwarduk »

Remembered how to update my signature! I'll be doing the next day of 100PU then 200SU in about 2 and a half hours, hopefully. Wonder if the second day really is the worst when resuming a schedule you had let lapse...
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

EC25K W1D2 done.

I came back from work absolutely wiped out today. I aimed to go running as soon as I got in, but lay down in bed for 5 mins and woke up 2 hours later. By the time I'd then eaten dinner and gone out, it was 9:30.

Made it OK still, even if it was in the almost-dark. I also measured my route when I got back (it's almost perfectly the distance to my local park, around the perimeter and abck again), and it came out at something like 1.3-1.5m, about 2-2.5k. I'm halfway there already! :D

Also, rofl. Just put it onto Fitocracy. Yesterday I didn't really work out how far I'd gone, but today I was interested in doing so. I also work in miles, but converted it to kilometers for you guys, and got myself confused in the process, and figured "Well, 12 mins walking, 8 mins running, I went about 50/50 walking and running? So that's 1.2 miles for each one roughly". Put it into Fitocracy and advanced almost an entire level because I got km amd m mixed up, so broke half a dozen records xD
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
ook

Post by ook »

Keneshiro wrote:Suggestions for the starting week?
I'd start with week 1 day 1 and see how it goes. If it feels way too easy, then move up to week 2.
andros414 wrote:Managing to keep up with the 100 push-up challenge, started Wk2D1 last night. :D

Took a break from c25k Monday night because I hurt my ankle, but it wasn't bothering me enough to stop me from doing pushups last night, so back to running tonight.

When looking around online for a C25k chart with non-KS art, I came across this version: http://i3.lulzimg.com/22baf9f526.png

For those that run, what do you think? This looks to be closer to what I'm actually able to do at the moment, in my attempts to do the Emi-version.

I'm thinking that if I can start with something more in line with my current abilities, it'd make progressing a bit easier than forcing myself to reach a point that I can't get to at the moment.
That looks even tougher than the Emi version for the first couple weeks. As althamus found out earlier, one minute can seem like a looooooong time. I can't imagine running for 3 minutes straight at the end of week 1. :shock:
IMO the shorter intervals in the Emi version are better. The walking parts are usually enough time to recover, so it's easier all around than having only one continuous jog.

Now a weight loss anecdote:

Today I was carrying some boxes through a door that closes automatically. I was leaning back a little, but normally the door would close and land softly on my cushy behind as I was walking through. I guess my behind isn't as cushy as it used to be, because the door hit me in the back of the head. :lol:
that's never happened before....

also I found a Richard Simmons video at a Goodwill store, so I was sweatin' to the oldies today!
Last edited by ook on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I finally bothered to measure how long a lap around my block is in relation to a lap around the track, and to my pleasant surprise it's just about twice as long as the track. So to put it plainly, I've been running about 4.5 (9km) every other night. 0_o And I ran the last one in 32 minutes. Hallelujah, my running has paid off! :D
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Akros

Post by Akros »

Pseudogenesis wrote:I finally bothered to measure how long a lap around my block is in relation to a lap around the track, and to my pleasant surprise it's just about twice as long as the track. So to put it plainly, I've been running about 4.5 (9km) every other night. 0_o And I ran the last one in 32 minutes. Hallelujah, my running has paid off! :D
9km in 32 min? you sure about that? it looks like a lot, unless you've been running for a long while now or you being an athlete or something xD

anyway, EC25K done now, so, any suggestions about what to do from now on?
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Akros wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:I finally bothered to measure how long a lap around my block is in relation to a lap around the track, and to my pleasant surprise it's just about twice as long as the track. So to put it plainly, I've been running about 4.5 (9km) every other night. 0_o And I ran the last one in 32 minutes. Hallelujah, my running has paid off! :D
9km in 32 min? you sure about that? it looks like a lot, unless you've been running for a long while now or you being an athlete or something xD

10.5 miles per hour on average? Wow...
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

dwarduk wrote:
Akros wrote:

10.5 miles per hour on average? Wow...

LOL Putting it that way I'm bat shit crazy. I still haven't made a scientific approximation yet, so this is just me being generous. xP Still, it's at least a bit over 3 miles. I'll do all the math later, when I've stopped being lazy.
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

ook

Post by ook »

On google maps, if you go to "Maps labs" at the bottom left, you can enable the distance measurement tool and then trace your block (using sattelite view for more accuracy).
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Um, 3 miles ~ 4-5km.

The world record for a mile is about 4 mins. I would be dead impressed if you were doing them in 6 :P I normally walk quickly and do a mile in about 12, maybe I could jog it in like 9. 6 would be a big upgrade :P

Also, thanks for the google maps tip :D My run today was 3.3km, 2 miles.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Althamus wrote:Um, 3 miles ~ 4-5km.

The world record for a mile is about 4 mins. I would be dead impressed if you were doing them in 6 :P I normally walk quickly and do a mile in about 12, maybe I could jog it in like 9. 6 would be a big upgrade :P

Also, thanks for the google maps tip :D My run today was 3.3km, 2 miles.
I've decided I want to run. Only problem is living in the middle of the countryside, and in England to boot, so there is no nice convenient grid layout to run around. The shortest circuit I've managed to find* where I am that isn't just my garden is 3 miles, and I really hate anything that involves a return journey. I'll need to think more and ask mum her advice as she runs a lot. But then she's a 10k person, so might not know routes suitable for someone less able :lol:

*Which doesn't involve too much trespassing
andros414

Post by andros414 »

ook wrote:
andros414 wrote:When looking around online for a C25k chart with non-KS art, I came across this version: http://i3.lulzimg.com/22baf9f526.png
That looks even tougher than the Emi version for the first couple weeks. As althamus found out earlier, one minute can seem like a looooooong time. I can't imagine running for 3 minutes straight at the end of week 1. :shock:
IMO the shorter intervals in the Emi version are better. The walking parts are usually enough time to recover, so it's easier all around than having only one continuous jog.
If I do switch charts, I wouldn't be running the whole 2 minutes at one time. Before, my routine was:
[*]Walk to the outside of my neighborhood (Approx. 9.5 minutes)
[*]Stand in place to rest for two minutes
[*]Run for 1 minute
[*]Walk for 2-3 minutes
[*]Run for 1 minute
[*]Walk the next 1-2 minutes
And by then I'm back on my doorstep.

Thanks to ook telling us about the Google Maps measuring tool, I know that the ~9 minute walk out of my area is just about 700 meters (says it is 710.641m from my doorstep to my resting spot), so round trip that looks like a solid 1.4km a night. :)
Shizune > Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

andros414 wrote:When looking around online for a C25k chart with non-KS art, I came across this version: http://i3.lulzimg.com/22baf9f526.png

For those that run, what do you think? This looks to be closer to what I'm actually able to do at the moment, in my attempts to do the Emi-version.

I'm thinking that if I can start with something more in line with my current abilities, it'd make progressing a bit easier than forcing myself to reach a point that I can't get to at the moment.
I hope your ankle heals up quickly.

Like Ook said, it seems way too difficult at the start. Also in the middle it seems to include warm-up and cool-down walks and one large chunk of running in the middle. The more frequent intervals in the Emi chart seem like they squeeze more out of you without breaking you. I suppose I'm biased in favour of it because the Emi chart worked for me, but it does seem superior to that one. It also has Emi on it. :) I suppose if you need a version without Emi to show someone without explaining who she is, you could print it out and just cut out the chart.
Keneshiro wrote:Suggestions for the starting week?
I suppose just run at double time (for you) for all eight running portions in the day. The important thing this early in the chart is actually time run rather than specific distance. You're just building up tolerance. I didn't even start measuring the distance I ran until I was into the pure running days toward the end. If you find week one way to easy for you, skip to week 2 and try that.

Althamus, don't feel too bad - I think they did that with litres and gallons of space shuttle fuel one time. :) You can go back dates on the track screen (the arrows are beside the date) and fix it by changing to Kms and hitting the submit button again. Edit: which I see you've already done; pay no mind.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

ook wrote:On google maps, if you go to "Maps labs" at the bottom left, you can enable the distance measurement tool and then trace your block (using sattelite view for more accuracy).

Thanks for the tip, that saved me loads of time (And imprecise measurement). Final distance for 10 laps around the block comes out to be 3.93 miles (6.33 kilometers). Still fucking awesome, considering where I was before. I couldn't run a single mile in eight minutes without wheezing like a dying man. Now I finish these in record time and still feel like I have more energy. So this is what it means to be youthful. :D

As for the hideous unit conversions above (I'm using Google for the ones in this post), if I told you I'm dreadful at math that would be an understatement. Besides that, we use the outdated and inefficient Imperial system here in 'Murica, so my conversion's even worse. I've always just thought of Kilometers as 1/2 a mile as a general rule of thumb. >_> Precision is clearly not my strong suit.

Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

Just did W5D2 of the 100 PU and I can't believe that I just did 100 pushups, albeit there were (many I might add) breaks. But even so. In fact the second rep I did was my complete max when I first started this program, amazing the amount of change I have seen. It's nice to able to visualize progress :D
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Ah, today I rode my bike for the first time after a bad fall last week. Damn I missed the workout. Used to do about 220 km every week.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me