Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

FBOF wrote:Seeing all the weights here... I can only dream of getting on a scale and getting those number at this moment in time... I start off at 104.0 kg with a height of 186 cm (229.3 pounds and 6 feet, 1 inch / 16.37 stone).

Never tried running before but had quite a bit of experience with cycling. Starting working out again this monday (6th of October) after a hiatus of about 5 to 6 months and it has given me a new goal in life. I've already lost about 300 gram/1 pound in a week's time so I reckon I'm doing ok. First milestone will be scraping off that 3rd numeral on the scale (getting below 100 kg, hence 218 pounds or 15.6 stone). After that I will be ecstatic to clear the 90 kg mark (dip under 200 pounds, 14.2 stone). My final goal, although that seems pretty out of reach, will be hitting 80 kilograms (176 pounds, 12.6 stone). If I can ever reach that last milestone, I can die a happy man. It's just so dear to me to get skinny and finally feel content with myself after a life being nothing but a tub o' lard.

One can only love another if he loves himself, one of the main reasons for going full-out on this. That, and this picture hit me hard (just an url, else it'll take up the entire screen):

http://i.imgur.com/90NHcwF.jpg
Awww goddamnit, posting that was just... I thought I'd got past this phase, y'know?

To be honest, You're quite tall so there is a certain amount to factor in just looking at weight. Just start at a level you feel is comfortable and work from there. I'm sure we're all behind you :) Good luck!
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

metalangel

Post by metalangel »

@Aaron: Yes, I cycle every weekend, usually around 40km, and I also try and walk home at least once a week, which is 7km. I’ve also started pretty serious calorie counting and stick to my target most of the time – I might go over once or twice a week but generally I am under my target for the week as a whole. I’d liked to lose another ten or so, now that winter is approaching I am also considering getting a gym membership to try and build some muscles on my upper body. The walking thing I do year round, even in two feet of snow and -30 windchills.

@FBOF: You can do it! It will take a lot of effort but once you get into the swing of things you’ll be having so much fun and be so motivated by the inches and pounds falling off that you won’t want to stop. It’s almost impossible to understand the addiction until you get into it. So long as you burn more calories than you take in, either by eating less, doing a lot of exercise of a combination of the two, you will lose weight. A calorie tracking app like MyFitnessPal is invaluable in doing this, be honest and diligent about putting everything in – right down to the toppings on your sub or the milk in your coffee.

Just be warned, having to buy new, smaller clothes gets expensive ;)

FWIW I’m an inch taller than you, the heaviest I ever got was 200lbs, which was at the height of working long desk job hours and spending most of my leisure time drinking beer and playing Xbox.
FBOF

Post by FBOF »

Much appreciate all the support from you guys, it has strenghten my resolve significantly!

Since I still had quite a bit of leg-muscles left, I've been able to increase my workout rapidly rather than having to grind my way to a new cap steadily. I was doing a 105 minute bout by this Monday, split into two sessions of 50 minutes (and an extra 5 to cool down after the day's practice was done) sweating off 1250 kcal's per day over the course of 55 km (34.18 miles). To keep myself focused, I alternated between 5 minutes of cylcing at a normal pace followed by 5 minute sprints (increasing my speed by 20 to 30% compared to the other phase). Rinse repeat until I reached my timer and building up an extra section each day (by increments of 10%). I felt battered and bruised by the end of it (much like Hisao on the track), but nothing a good night's sleep couldn't recover me from. Unable to seriously turn around my diet due to living with a few people that require extra care (diabetic type-2 patient to name the least vurnable), I've nearly halved my portions from what I ate before and cut out all snacks inbetween. Even though it can be hard at times, it breeds a newfound discipline I didn't aspire me capable of. Just the other day, one of my housemates offered me a bar of chocolate and was able to refuse it. Being an emotional eater, it felt strangely satisfying to be in such control of myself.

Inbetween this, I've finally been able to land my first job in 15 months (even if it's only a temporary one). I'll be starting the 20th of October, a bright day as I'll finally be able to scrape together a living again. Regardless, with each positive comes a negative. Considering I'll be working 40 hours a week, I won't be able to increase my excersises further hence I've settled for a different approach. 1000 kcal a day, done in one session at a steady brisk pace over 80 to 90 minutes. It should keep my energy expenses high while retaining some strength to complete housework after all that. I'm currently adapting to this longer yet slower approach to ease myself into it the next week after work.

For those eager to start themselves, do not force yourself to improve from day to day as your body won't be able to recuperate that fast if you've never done said sport before. Back in the day when I first picked up my bicycle, I only rode it for about 10 minutes after which I had to call it quits. Begin at a decent pace for a short amount of time until you feel the activity in your muscles. As long as your heart-rate is moderately elivated from its normal rate and you're perspiring slightly, the excersise is paying off as you've increasing your output. Continue said course for 5 to 10 minutes and you're golden. Stay at that level for 2 to 3 days (harder method) or when your body adapt to the excursion, then step it up by increasing either the time length (builds endurance) or your speed (builds force) by 10% (the latter only measurable if you pack the meters for it, hence can be tougher to manage outdoors). Gradually, you'll be able to burn more & more and hopefully reach your goal.

Remember though, try to keep the excersises intresting to avoid boredom. Listening to your favourite music, especially at times of great effort, can sharpen the mind to press you even further. Following Emi's suggestion is a great one as well, get yourself a partner and work out together to keep eachother going and motivated.

What a strange turn this post has taken... ^^" I just kept typing since hearing you guys' encouragement did invigorate my spirit. Well, hopefully my post can aid you a bit as well as yours have supported myself. Thanks again! :)
FBOF

Post by FBOF »

Just did another weigh-in and I'm happy to see my efforts pay off: 102.4 kg / 225.8 pounds /16.13 stone. It's a loss of 1.3 kg, little over 3 pounds or 0.24 stone in a single week. Might seem a bit fast but seeing how I've lowered my intake drastically and am now working out more than ever, I feel blessed the efforts are paying off. It won't always go this fast, but it's at least a boon to see results.

After all, I must do it... for her!

*stares at feel-pic again:

It's strange how many times this has motivated me to push on, I can only hope it will continue to keep my hope up in the future despite it just being fiction.
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

FBOF wrote:Just did another weigh-in and I'm happy to see my efforts pay off: 102.4 kg / 225.8 pounds /16.13 stone. It's a loss of 1.3 kg, little over 3 pounds or 0.24 stone in a single week. Might seem a bit fast but seeing how I've lowered my intake drastically and am now working out more than ever, I feel blessed the efforts are paying off. It won't always go this fast, but it's at least a boon to see results.

It's strange how many times this has motivated me to push on, I can only hope it will continue to keep my hope up in the future despite it just being fiction.
No kidding, that picture really is a good motivator. And I'm glad to hear that you're making such great progress! I've really fallen behind in my daily workouts, but coming here and reading about others who are doing well really encourages me. :)
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

FBOF wrote:Just did another weigh-in and I'm happy to see my efforts pay off: 102.4 kg / 225.8 pounds /16.13 stone. It's a loss of 1.3 kg, little over 3 pounds or 0.24 stone in a single week. Might seem a bit fast but seeing how I've lowered my intake drastically and am now working out more than ever, I feel blessed the efforts are paying off. It won't always go this fast, but it's at least a boon to see results.

Every time I see that picture, the Lilly and Misha ones hit me like a ton of bricks. You've done a fantastic job, keep it up :D
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Do it for yourself. I like my body and feel confident about it for the first time in years. I needed a new jacket for fall and went to grab the one I'd liked online... can you imagine how I felt when the medium (not the large) fit me best? (clue: fuck yes!!)

If the picture keeps you motivated, keep using it, just remember in the end this is for your own benefit. You are going to feel increasingly awesome. You have fought for every last inch you no longer have. You earned it.

I only managed two hours on my bike today - I was feeling a little unwell, plus it was pretty cold out. I did however conquer not one but TWO hills that I've never done before - one is a gradual but relentless climb, the other is short but incredibly steep. My bike doesn't like going into first gear (on the crankset, need to tighten a cable or two) so I had to do it in second but I still managed it.
FBOF

Post by FBOF »

metalangel wrote:

Do it for yourself. I like my body and feel confident about it for the first time in years. I needed a new jacket for fall and went to grab the one I'd liked online... can you imagine how I felt when the medium (not the large) fit me best? (clue: fuck yes!!)

If the picture keeps you motivated, keep using it, just remember in the end this is for your own benefit. You are going to feel increasingly awesome. You have fought for every last inch you no longer have. You earned it.

I only managed two hours on my bike today - I was feeling a little unwell, plus it was pretty cold out. I did however conquer not one but TWO hills that I've never done before - one is a gradual but relentless climb, the other is short but incredibly steep. My bike doesn't like going into first gear (on the crankset, need to tighten a cable or two) so I had to do it in second but I still managed it.
That I know for sure, it's in my own best intrest. The game only helps me get extra motivation in the sense: if I ever want to meet a girl, I must not only act the part but also look the part. Though the inner self is more valuable in the long run, none of that will matter if you can't get to lay that first contact. Ever person, no matter how deep, will judge one on his looks first in either large or small quantities. Having a fit body also boosts one's confidence and most importantly, one's health and enjoyment of life/activities in general. Besides, I would love to flaunt my body for that special someone if I ever find her/*insert whatever your prefer here*. Would feel to me that I'm willing to go to great lengths to make our time together special.

2 hours of cycling is nothing to scoff at, well done! That's what I love about cycling outdoors, it offers visual obstacles you can overcome hence points to focus on. Greatly improves the ability to hold on as you're convincing yourself constantly that you can beat the target you're setting for yourself.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

FBOF wrote: That I know for sure, it's in my own best intrest. The game only helps me get extra motivation in the sense: if I ever want to meet a girl, I must not only act the part but also look the part. Though the inner self is more valuable in the long run, none of that will matter if you can't get to lay that first contact. Ever person, no matter how deep, will judge one on his looks first in either large or small quantities. Having a fit body also boosts one's confidence and most importantly, one's health and enjoyment of life/activities in general. Besides, I would love to flaunt my body for that special someone if I ever find her/*insert whatever your prefer here*. Would feel to me that I'm willing to go to great lengths to make our time together special.
TL;DR: Looks are what gets your personality's foot in the door.

Being slim and fit is one great way, but so is being well dressed and nicely groomed.

It also means you can have some standards without seeing like a jerk: I've put a lot of effort into making myself look nice, I would expect a similar amount from a girl.
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

metalangel wrote:I would expect a similar amount from a girl.
Then you meet that crazy amazing girl that's nothing like anything you'd ever have imagined you could even be remotely interested in and even though you don't understand why you can't seem to get enough of her and you find yourself on Rin's route..
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

metalangel wrote: TL;DR: Looks are what gets your personality's foot in the door.

Being slim and fit is one great way, but so is being well dressed and nicely groomed.

It also means you can have some standards without seeing like a jerk: I've put a lot of effort into making myself look nice, I would expect a similar amount from a girl.
Hmm...generaly a good advice (you can looks better if you aren't overweight and badly dressed, obviously) but if you have a bad face or others uncheageable bad features ? :P
Not sure it's a very polite remark since no everyone could be good-looking even if they treat goodly themselves.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Zarys wrote:
metalangel wrote: TL;DR: Looks are what gets your personality's foot in the door.

Hmm...generaly a good advice (you can looks better if you aren't overweight and badly dressed, obviously) but if you have a bad face or others uncheageable bad features ? :P
Not sure it's a very polite remark since no everyone could be good-looking even if they treat goodly themselves.
I'm not sure how much that matters - it's more to do with the effort that goes into appearing presentable than being some kind of Adonis I think. I'd rather go out with a clean, overweight person that tries their best to look nice than a physically immaculate person that smells of piss and seems like they can't be bothered any day.

AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

My run today did not end well. After running 45 minutes, the left hand side of my chest tightened and my breathing became very short and difficult. Thankfully it passed when I stopped but given it's never done that before, I'm a tad concerned on that one to be honest.

FBOF

Post by FBOF »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:My run today did not end well. After running 45 minutes, the left hand side of my chest tightened and my breathing became very short and difficult. Thankfully it passed when I stopped but given it's never done that before, I'm a tad concerned on that one to be honest.
That's a serious concern indeed. If limbs go numb, vision gets blurry or breathing becomes eratic & insufficient, it means you're going too deep for your body to handle in its current state. Halt immediately and walk it off until the feeling passes. If you stop immediately, you can catch your breath for a few seconds but both muscles and the heart will have no way to disperse the excess energy you're pumping around. Cool down by walking and holding your arms behind your head, palms clasping the back if your skull. It opens up the lungs and should reduce the chance of strained tissue when returning home.

Always try to stay at a constant pace to maximize energy consumption. If this is difficult due to terrain or you're unable to put your mind to it, try swapping between light jogs & brisk runs every set amount of minutes (sets of 3, sets of 5,... pick a number that your body can maintain). Speed & distance are less important than the time you spend on exercises. As soon as your heart is going at an elevated pace compared to normal activity and you're sweating slightly, you've managed to increase your output and are burning those calories more efficiently. For your body to reach peak capacity, you'll need to calculate at least 12 - 15 minutes of warm-up after which your heart has adapted to the stress. 30 minutes of full-on working out coupled with a cooldown of 12-15 minutes grants you a total of +/- 1 hour, the daily recommended heightened activity an adult should have (18-65 year olds) to remain physically sound.

If there is anything else I can help with, I will gladly see if I can lend my aid. It's always a terrible downer to see your body break down and being unable to finish what you intended. We are here for you and know you can do it!

EDIT: This bit was for those who are looking to reduce overal fat rather than build power, that latter requires a different approach.
FBOF

Post by FBOF »

I have done another weigh-in this morning and felt somewhat puzzled by the results... It's either the shock of the moment or perhaps confusion, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Last week result was: 102.4 kg / 225.8 pounds / 16.13 stone.
This week's result: 99.3 kg / 218.9 pounds / 15.64 stone.

A drop of 3.1 kg / nearly 7 pounds or approximately half a stone in one week! I'm not sure what the think of this. Am I losing too much weight too quickly? I don't feel hungry nor overly exerted during the day, but it seems a nearly unhealthy drop in weight to me. Regardless, I have been working my butt off each and every single day while resisting any temptation... I bike about 45-50 km's (28-31 miles) per day in approximately 80 minutes (limit myself to 90 minutes in order to prevent myself from going overboard plus driving me to peddle at a strong pace). I deny myself any sort of treat between meals and eat normal portions at every lunch. I try to avoid fried foods and am opting for fresh fruits & vegetables far more than I ever did. I'm just taken aback by this major shift... I never expected this kind of result... Still, I feel accomplished what dedication and discipline has brought me already. I shall not waiver, for I must do it not only for myself but also for her!

*insert feelpic from earlier*