Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by SpunkySix »

wazuzu wrote:Also wow, today I ran 22 minutes non-stop. That was awesome. I even think that it's harder to run with breaks than without them.
Congrats! :D

And yes, you're totally 100% right. The worst possible thing that can happen during a workout is having to stop and wait for traffic... totally kills your rhythm.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

wazuzu wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:I think, as long as it isn't stupidly complex in how it's composed or as long as you can use it as a way to keep your mind busy, it's no problem - I've gone running to Shostakovich one day, and then to Cephalic Carnage for the next one :P
Well, the main thing I've learned from making my playlists is that music should be around 150-160 bpm and reflect your running and breathing speed. This way music actually helps you. Music with uneven BPM, like Cephalic Carnage gonna break your breathing or heartbeat rhythm, so I'd advise to refrain from it.

Also wow, today I ran 22 minutes non-stop. That was awesome. I even think that it's harder to run with breaks than without them.
Congrats on the 22 minuter! And yeah it is easier without breaks, provided you can distract yourself a bit while running. I find as soon as I'm aware I'm running a certain distance it hurts that much more.
(And it depends on the song, Warbots A.M. does have tempo changes but they're very easy to deal with, and Repangaea is over 12 minutes of constant tempo so that's a great one :D)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

wazuzu

Post by wazuzu »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:(And it depends on the song, Warbots A.M. does have tempo changes but they're very easy to deal with, and Repangaea is over 12 minutes of constant tempo so that's a great one :D)
I guess it does. I only listened to two of their albums (Xenosapien and Exploiting Dysfunction) both can be described as "prog-grind", so broken beats are common there. You can't run with music like this.
I ran so good that I actually went to my job even though it was my day off, which I remembered right before going home. My boss laughed at me hard.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

wazuzu wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:(And it depends on the song, Warbots A.M. does have tempo changes but they're very easy to deal with, and Repangaea is over 12 minutes of constant tempo so that's a great one :D)
I guess it does. I only listened to two of their albums (Xenosapien and Exploiting Dysfunction) both can be described as "prog-grind", so broken beats are common there. You can't run with music like this.
I ran so good that I actually went to my job even though it was my day off, which I remembered right before going home. My boss laughed at me hard.
Xenosapien is a killer album though. I own Misled by Certainty and, although it's still undoubtedly Cephalic Carnage, a lot of the grindcore element is gone from many tracks. But I do agree with the broken beat point, and this i think has prompted me to make a running playlist - think I'll call it "tracks that won't mess my heart up".
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Gamera Ramen

Post by Gamera Ramen »

I never thought about beats and rhythm of my running music before--I just have a big list of stuff that energizes me and I play whatever I feel like that day. I'll have to experiment with that next time!
Hellcat wrote:Hanako as a guest appearance for Marvel Vs Capcom 4, make it happen.
TheHivemind wrote:(the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

I thought music was there just to keep you entertained while running.
I can easily attune myself to running with a constant beat (even if it is a little slow I can always make up a few rules like take 4 steps per beat or something). If I need constant beat than I could easily just stick to baroque period and classical period music. Most likely Classical period because trills and turns could throw me off track really easily.
I wonder if Jazz is fine. I would like to listen to some folk music as well but folk music is already so ridiculously complicated in terms of time signature and beats.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:I thought music was there just to keep you entertained while running.
I can easily attune myself to running with a constant beat (even if it is a little slow I can always make up a few rules like take 4 steps per beat or something). If I need constant beat than I could easily just stick to baroque period and classical period music. Most likely Classical period because trills and turns could throw me off track really easily.
I wonder if Jazz is fine. I would like to listen to some folk music as well but folk music is already so ridiculously complicated in terms of time signature and beats.
Jazz is a tricky one. If it's a standard swing jazz then you should be alright, as long as the beat you take from it is a straight 4/4 or 12/8, as opposed to the swing bit. Unless you have a limp?
Thing is though, is that it's such a wide genre. Avant-garde jazz or free jazz you'd have NO chance against if you were using it to keep rhythm, for example, whereas the more traditional styles would be much easier. On the classical side of things, any kind of march would be suitable would it not?

As much as it pains me to say it, the easiest to run to is likely generic chart shite, as most of that is built around having a strong beat for drunk eejits to dance to. Punk might be an easy one as well, due to simple song structures, though the downside with punk (and hardcore punk) is that the songs are frequently too short to establish a rhythm with.

Forever_ambivalent

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:I thought music was there just to keep you entertained while running.
Jazz is a tricky one. If it's a standard swing jazz then you should be alright, as long as the beat you take from it is a straight 4/4 or 12/8, as opposed to the swing bit. Unless you have a limp?
Thing is though, is that it's such a wide genre. Avant-garde jazz or free jazz you'd have NO chance against if you were using it to keep rhythm, for example, whereas the more traditional styles would be much easier. On the classical side of things, any kind of march would be suitable would it not?

As much as it pains me to say it, the easiest to run to is likely generic chart shite, as most of that is built around having a strong beat for drunk eejits to dance to. Punk might be an easy one as well, due to simple song structures, though the downside with punk (and hardcore punk) is that the songs are frequently too short to establish a rhythm with.
How unfortunate. Well I sort of knew that Jazz would be impossible anyway.
The big problem I have with generic eletronic made shit with shallow rhythms is that 80% of the time it hurts my ears. It's too loud and too screechy and I have very very sensitive ears. I refuse to go through that sort of uncomfort and pain just to listen to shallow rhythms composed by some machines.
If its about having a strong beat than I should be fine with baroque or classical era music. The beats aren't as obvious as "generic chart shite" but it's not like I need the beat of the music to be spelled out for me. I'm not an idiot.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Forever_ambivalent wrote: As much as it pains me to say it, the easiest to run to is likely generic chart shite, as most of that is built around having a strong beat for drunk eejits to dance to. Punk might be an easy one as well, due to simple song structures, though the downside with punk (and hardcore punk) is that the songs are frequently too short to establish a rhythm with.
How unfortunate. Well I sort of knew that Jazz would be impossible anyway.
The big problem I have with generic eletronic made shit with shallow rhythms is that 80% of the time it hurts my ears. It's too loud and too screechy and I have very very sensitive ears. I refuse to go through that sort of uncomfort and pain just to listen to shallow rhythms composed by some machines.
If its about having a strong beat than I should be fine with baroque or classical era music. The beats aren't as obvious as "generic chart shite" but it's not like I need the beat of the music to be spelled out for me. I'm not an idiot.[/quote]
To be fair, I'm not sure how much of it IS about having a strong beat. Obviously something with some crazy structure like a Stanchinsky is gonna make life tricky, but as you said, you don't need the beat of the music to be spelled out, which I think is my main issue with it all. (I have sensitive ears too, but not as sensitive as yours I'd say. Things like hoovers and scratching nylon make them hurt, but then I listen to grindcore which is known for being abrasive). Personally, music when running is something for my mind to focus on, which inextricably does mean the rhythm, but it does obviously have to be something you enjoy. If that's baroque and classical era music, then go for it :)

Forever_ambivalent

Yea I don't think I would listen to stanchinsky (romantic era musician). There is a reason I specified the music eras to Baroque and Classical. Romance era music can be confusing and crazy. 20th century music is a mixed bag though. Largely full of crazy pieces that play with sounds marvelously but they also have a lot of music that is dedicated to certain time periods.
I have a few pieces in mind but does anybody know any good (20th-21st century) classical pieces? I'm fine with any good pieces done on an instrument so it can even be game music/film music/programme music. I would be happy with anything with a constant beat that isn't over-complicated that is played on an actual instrument. I already have a list of classical music for running but I wouldn't mind having a few modern gems included. I would appreciate it if there isn't a violin in any piece though. Those tend to really hurt my ears when they go for the higher notes and are generally uncomfortable. I will bear it though if I think the piece is good enough though. Violas and Cellos all the way!
I really need to open myself up to more modern pieces of music.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Check out Vanessa Mae, Lindsey Stirling and... John Williams (who composed a lot of the greatest movie scores, including Star Wars)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Hey guys... nightcore. Suddenly, every song is a running song.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

SpunkySix wrote:Hey guys... nightcore. Suddenly, every song is a running song.
That's just because you're speeding the song up 1.5 times :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Yea I don't think I would listen to stanchinsky (romantic era musician). There is a reason I specified the music eras to Baroque and Classical. Romance era music can be confusing and crazy. 20th century music is a mixed bag though. Largely full of crazy pieces that play with sounds marvelously but they also have a lot of music that is dedicated to certain time periods.
I have a few pieces in mind but does anybody know any good (20th-21st century) classical pieces? I'm fine with any good pieces done on an instrument so it can even be game music/film music/programme music. I would be happy with anything with a constant beat that isn't over-complicated that is played on an actual instrument. I already have a list of classical music for running but I wouldn't mind having a few modern gems included. I would appreciate it if there isn't a violin in any piece though. Those tend to really hurt my ears when they go for the higher notes and are generally uncomfortable. I will bear it though if I think the piece is good enough though. Violas and Cellos all the way!
I really need to open myself up to more modern pieces of music.
Is it uncomfortable with brass as well?
I'd recommend The Planets by Holst, though there is the odd violin passage and some of the brass sections go quite high so maybe it's not suitable. I too would recommend John Williams, though the guitarist one, as much of his classical guitar work is exceptional (same as Segovia and Albeniz, to start off). Could you suggest a few pieces you like, as I'm not all that knowledgeable about the baroque period?

Haven't been running for a bit, as I managed to twinge my right calf, but I went for one today and all was fine. Need to start working towards an hour now, which is gonna be a lot more work than the half hour, I can tell :/

Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

I've had success with power metal and hard rock, but maybe that's just me.

I've found J-pop useful, too, oddly enough.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8