Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Proud day for me today, as I ran my first unbroken 5k :D Did it in 31:47, which obviously means that my next target is to get that below 30:00 ;)
That said, I could've done that if I didn't have to slow down to almost a walk a couple of times - the base of my calves felt tight as anything when I reached the bottom of a hill. Anyone got any pointers for running down hills? I probably need to stretch my calves more during warmup, that might help.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Proud day for me today, as I ran my first unbroken 5k :D Did it in 31:47, which obviously means that my next target is to get that below 30:00 ;)
That said, I could've done that if I didn't have to slow down to almost a walk a couple of times - the base of my calves felt tight as anything when I reached the bottom of a hill. Anyone got any pointers for running down hills? I probably need to stretch my calves more during warmup, that might help.
Congrats! That's a big benchmark, and one that's fun to race once you get it down a little more. You'd be surprised how many 5Ks tend to pop up locally with a nice turn-out, good courses and even after parties.

Running down hills. Not sure how much you know, so I'll just give you everything I've got here. Stretching beforehand definitely helps, but make sure your stretches are dynamic, meaning that you're moving your legs in a controlled manner and doing multiple repeated stretches rather than one continuous, motionless static stretch, which can actually hurt you. Also, when running up hills, it helps to shorten your stride, whereas running down hills, it helps to lengthen your stride. Not too much, just enough to feel it. Lean forward slightly and try to make yourself move with the slope of the hill. Lastly, if the hill is really steep, then "snaking" side to side as you go down can prevent too much pounding and discourage injury.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Thank you very much, for both the congrats and for the advice. Stretching is definitely something I need to work on, if I do it at all I don't think it's as effective as it should be so thanks for the pointers. And longer strides would make sense on going downhill, yeah - uphill I'm fine on, but downhill is a nightmare for me at the moment. It's annoying as outside of the immediate area where I live, it's unavoidable to find hills, so I need to figure them out. Got a 5k run in July lined up, so if I can do this alright then that should be a doddle by July :D
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Got a 5k run in July lined up, so if I can do this alright then that should be a doddle by July :D
Cool. You're welcome, and good luck.
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Munchenhausen wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:I began the C25K this week and so far have done W1D1 and W1D2, and both have been relatively easy. Although, that's probably because I was definitely not out of shape to begin with. I'm not too excited about what's coming up though, but hopefully by those points I'll be handling it a lot better.
Fantastic, mate :D If I remember, shit really hits the fan at week five ;D
I haven't looked at the schedule in a while, honestly... I've just been going out and jogging a certain route.
I don't even know how far it is.
Yeah, W5D3 is where it gets nasty from the look of it :P I feel pretty confident that it'll be okay, but it's just kinda scary right now.
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:I began the C25K this week and so far have done W1D1 and W1D2, and both have been relatively easy. Although, that's probably because I was definitely not out of shape to begin with. I'm not too excited about what's coming up though, but hopefully by those points I'll be handling it a lot better.
Haha, you think you're not excited now, but if you're anything like me, it's surprising how quickly you can gain the necessary level of fitness to do it. It does take effort, but it is a lot of fun :D And good luck! :)
I'm really keen to see the results! I'm mostly doing this to help my performance in my chosen sport, but it'd be nice to be able to pick up running as something by itself as well. Thanks!
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

I was supposed to do W2D1 today, but I had three games of Field Hockey yesterday and my legs are dead. Completely dead.

Rest day it is!
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Walshy12238 wrote:I was supposed to do W2D1 today, but I had three games of Field Hockey yesterday and my legs are dead. Completely dead.

Rest day it is!
I'd say that's probably fair, your legs do take a bit of a beating playing that :P

Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Alright, so after yesterday's jogging session my shin was playing up. Kinda just felt like the bone itself hurt. This is normal, right? Just a sideaffect of the jolt-y movements jogging has? :P
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Mine does that sometimes. If I'm wearing my steel-cap boots (which I've learnt not to do now :L) it's worse, but I think most of it is the jolty movements which you guessed :) I think calf muscle tension's got something to do with it as well, so try stretching your calves more if you don't already (says the guy that frequently forgets to stretch at all -_-)

Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Mine does that sometimes. If I'm wearing my steel-cap boots (which I've learnt not to do now :L) it's worse, but I think most of it is the jolty movements which you guessed :) I think calf muscle tension's got something to do with it as well, so try stretching your calves more if you don't already (says the guy that frequently forgets to stretch at all -_-)
Hah sometimes I'm needed to run around at work. You're right, Steeltoes are not good for running :'(
I'll try that then, cheers :)
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:I was supposed to do W2D1 today, but I had three games of Field Hockey yesterday and my legs are dead. Completely dead.

Rest day it is!
I'd say that's probably fair, your legs do take a bit of a beating playing that :P
You're not wrong :P

Side note, I did notice I was able to keep up the intensity a lot more during my games than before doing the first week of the program. It's probably just a placebo effect as of now, but it's a good sign I hope!
Grimnir

Post by Grimnir »

Munchenhausen wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Mine does that sometimes. If I'm wearing my steel-cap boots (which I've learnt not to do now :L) it's worse, but I think most of it is the jolty movements which you guessed :) I think calf muscle tension's got something to do with it as well, so try stretching your calves more if you don't already (says the guy that frequently forgets to stretch at all -_-)
Hah sometimes I'm needed to run around at work. You're right, Steeltoes are not good for running :'(
I'll try that then, cheers :)
I don't run at all but I've experienced the same thing with steel toed boots at festivals or longer walks to concerts. I will keep that in mind for the future. (Or better yet, start running for a change. :? )
Misha: "Oh, Hi, I'm Misha and this is my hetero-life-mate, Silent Shicchan."
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:(says the guy that frequently forgets to stretch at all -_-)
Bad AaronIsCrunchy! You should always stretch before a run!

*Giggles, moves closer*

It's okay, I hate warming up too, and I don't even have to stretch my legs! :lol:
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

SpunkySix wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:(says the guy that frequently forgets to stretch at all -_-)

*Giggles, moves closer*

It's okay, I hate warming up too, and I don't even have to stretch my legs! :lol:
Helpful tip: stretching on rest days does absolute wonders. You have no idea how much better my legs feel now after a bit of a stretch compared to twenty minutes ago.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

SpunkySix wrote:

*Giggles, moves closer*

I dunno about you guys, but the mental images of that interaction were too much for me :lol:
especially since I imagine Spunky with a beard
have you ever imagines a bearded man act cutesy wutesy like emi
It's fucking terrifying
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---