Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Minyalos

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Minyalos »

I caught a flu and high fever last week, right after I'd finished week 1, so I couldn't run for some time. Today I finally felt good enough to try again and once I had decided that I was really impatient and restless at work. Now I've had time to shower and eat a little afterwards, and I feel really, surprisingly good :)
If I feel this good after next time I might skip w1d3 and go straight to week 2.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

I really wanted to try week 5 again, starting today, but had to change my plans.

My mp3 dropped on his highly sophisticated, electronic head once too many, and at first stopped playing on one channel, and then the buttons ceased working at all. I can turn it on, look sadly on the display, and turn it off. Tried to mingle with it's insides, and can see broken soldering on the plug part, which could be managed, and broken inside plug connected to the "steering wheel", but damn thing is just too small, to even try to fix it somehow (my phone-fixing-for-a-living friend backed me up there). So, that would be the 4th playered I used up (and 3rd Sansa). I'm hunting on a local equivalent of e-bay now for some replacement.
If someone want to share his experience with mp3 players, now would be a good time.

I owned so far a strange device branded by "Ministry of Sound", with 128MB of storage space (good, old times...), decent enough, but since then I grew up to accept 2GB as minimum for such device.
Then two Sansa c250, one after the other (first one could actually be c240). Managable players, but with short battery span, diminishing even more with time, and I got them both bricked, which may, or may not be because I started using RockBox on those, and tweaked it some.
My last one was Sansa Fuze, which until recently was really my perfect choice, for such thing: quite big display making it especially easy to search back and forth through the files stored, 4GB of space and SD slot for 2GB cards (have two of them in my wallet, one with audiobooks, the other with crash-course of basic japanese). Waaay more affordable than any Ipod, and with RockBox quite versatile too (the "steering wheel" works great when playing "bubbles").

And as for the running I figured I can just see how long I can run, and try to add some additional minute or two with every run.
With my life record set today officially, as 15min of non-stop run, I'll try to run for 17 minutes on wednesday, and 19min on friday. What will be the result, we'll see.
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

http://nensho.net/en/top.html
"Developer Creative Freaks' "Gal Game and Health Care & Fitness" iOS/Android app Burn Your Fat with Me has officially caught on. Counting demo versions, the "moévation!" has crossed one million units downloaded. For this milestone, the app has previewed a new exercise and updated plans for an English version."

Oh boy here we go. This looks like fun if it costs next to nothing once the English version comes out but I would not pay much if anything for it. Custom skins means we could get KS girls in it however.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
Manman

Post by Manman »

I've been on a break for almost 1 week now. When I tried to run the last time I had to give up after just 30 seconds. My legs hurt that much.
More specifically my chins. Is my running technic wrong? I've made it to the end of week 7 without any problems.
Could it be that i did both day 1 and 2 of week 7 with only one day of rest?
Maybe new shoes?
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

ZXRN wrote:The best running spot around here is the parking lot of the mall which is cement. And as for the shoes...well, they're rubber shoes. I don't really know if they're for running or just normal rubber shoes coz I ain't good at that. wahahaha~ (unless someone can tell me)

I actually did some jogging before, but that was long ago and had no guide to follow so I just kept jogging until I was tired. I guess that's the reason why the rock feeling thing in my feet disappeared after a few hours. Oh yeah, others here told me that walking is a good warm-up too, so I think I might stick with that.
Rubber shoes sound better suited than combats or workboots, at least. I'm not sure what type they would be either.

I'd wreck myself in a single week if I ran on cement (I'm tall, heavy, and I have a wonky gait), but some people can do it without harm. I think Kilo runs on cement. A track, a trail, or grass is better if you're getting injured.

I don't warm up with walking, at least at my point in the programme, but I'd still advise you to do the stretching in addition. As I understand it it's not really related to flexibility, you're just stretching your muscles to avoid damaging them. That said, I'm not an expert, I've just made some mistakes and had to correct them. Good luck!
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Akros

Post by Akros »

Did W3D1 today, didn't get tired at all, but my legs kind of hurt towards the end, but that must be because after the 5k part I keep running non-stop for about 10 min or so, till I get about 2K done in one go. I'm running more and more everyday, so I guess this is working :D

ZXRN wrote:I actually did some jogging before, but that was long ago and had no guide to follow so I just kept jogging until I was tired. I guess that's the reason why the rock feeling thing in my feet disappeared after a few hours. Oh yeah, others here told me that walking is a good warm-up too, so I think I might stick with that.
What I do for warm-up is ride a bike a bit, on my way to where I usually do my runs, which is on a riverside, also for cooldown on my way back home, so I'm actually doing more than just running. I can do that cause where I'm leaving now the city's got this kind of rental thing with bikes going on, so that's great.
NoOne3 wrote:My mp3 dropped on his highly sophisticated, electronic head once too many, and at first stopped playing on one channel, and then the buttons ceased working at all. I can turn it on, look sadly on the display, and turn it off. Tried to mingle with it's insides, and can see broken soldering on the plug part, which could be managed, and broken inside plug connected to the "steering wheel", but damn thing is just too small, to even try to fix it somehow (my phone-fixing-for-a-living friend backed me up there). So, that would be the 4th playered I used up (and 3rd Sansa). I'm hunting on a local equivalent of e-bay now for some replacement.
If someone want to share his experience with mp3 players, now would be a good time.
I've actually had many players in the past, but now I'm stuck with a classic Zune ( yes it's huge but it fits my pocket, doesn't bother me and works ok). Maybe you could try something like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sports-usb ... een-106055
or if you don't want to get a card:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-rechar ... -2gb-30107
I'll probably get a hold on one of this sometime soon
Last edited by Akros on Wed May 09, 2012 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

ZXRN wrote:Never felt that before, so does that mean I have to forget about the warm-up walking I said before and just stretch? (coz I hate stretching...My body's just not flexible.)
Ideally do both. Stretching and warm up walking do a similar sort of thing. Stretching stretches the muscles and warms them, warm up walking does that to a lesser extent (I think), but also gets your circulation flowing and gets you starting to convert fat back into energy in readiness for exercise.

Of course, depends on how thoroughly you want to do things. If you're not very flexible naturally though, I would suggest stretching as being useful for you.

/Old PE lessons come in handy.

Anyways, 100 PU!

W5D1 today. I intended to do 36/40/30/24/40+.
I actually did 36/40/35/28/40.

It didn't look like much more than W4D3 on paper, but felt so much harder. Getting complacent halfway through and doing an extra 9 was a bit silly too.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Manman wrote:I've been on a break for almost 1 week now. When I tried to run the last time I had to give up after just 30 seconds. My legs hurt that much.
More specifically my chins. Is my running technic wrong? I've made it to the end of week 7 without any problems.
Maybe new shoes?
Ouch. :( That sounds an awful lot like what I get: Posterior Shin Splints. Is the pain on the inward or outward part of the leg? Does it feel like the bone itself hurts? Did it come on suddenly, or build up over several running sessions?

Mine are caused by a awkward running step and slightly flat arches. I sorted mine out for the moment with a new pair of running shoes and some arch support insoles, and putting ice on it three times a day. It sounds like your problem is worse, and you should probably see a doctor about it before deciding anything.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Laytnor

Post by Laytnor »

What the hell is wrong with week 5 day 1 mix?
The start song ends at 4 minutes, while the run is 5 minutes long, the rest song is 4 freaking minutes long, when its supposed to be 3 minutes.

Now I need to find proper version.
DAMN.
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

Laytnor wrote:What the hell is wrong with week 5 day 1 mix?
The start song ends at 4 minutes, while the run is 5 minutes long, the rest song is 4 freaking minutes long, when its supposed to be 3 minutes.

Now I need to find proper version.
DAMN.
Don't know whats up with that. Sorry, I have never used them I just got them from a 4chan KS pastebin so I have not tested most of the music other than to see if the links work.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
Manman

Post by Manman »

Walrusfella wrote:
Manman wrote:I've been on a break for almost 1 week now. When I tried to run the last time I had to give up after just 30 seconds. My legs hurt that much.
Maybe new shoes?
Ouch. :( That sounds an awful lot like what I get: Posterior Shin Splints. Is the pain on the inward or outward part of the leg? Does it feel like the bone itself hurts? Did it come on suddenly, or build up over several running sessions?

Mine are caused by a awkward running step and slightly flat arches. I sorted mine out for the moment with a new pair of running shoes and some arch support insoles, and putting ice on it three times a day. It sounds like your problem is worse, and you should probably see a doctor about it before deciding anything.
I ran today. I used some new shoes. I actually think my old shoes made my feet land weird, so with my new shoes i didn't put as much weight on my chins.
So im fine now, just think i needed to rest. JUST TWO WEEKS LEFT!
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Akros wrote:Did W3D1 today, didn't get tired at all, but my legs kind of hurt towards the end, but that must be because after the 5k part I keep running non-stop for about 10 min or so, till I get about 2K done in one go. I'm running more and more everyday, so I guess this is working :D

ZXRN wrote:I actually did some jogging before, but that was long ago and had no guide to follow so I just kept jogging until I was tired. I guess that's the reason why the rock feeling thing in my feet disappeared after a few hours. Oh yeah, others here told me that walking is a good warm-up too, so I think I might stick with that.
What I do for warm-up is ride a bike a bit, on my way to where I usually do my runs, which is on a riverside, I also for cooldown on my way back home, so I'm actually doing more than just running. I can do that cause where I'm leaving now the city's got this kind of rental thing with bikes going on, so that's great.
NoOne3 wrote:My mp3 dropped on his highly sophisticated, electronic head once too many, and at first stopped playing on one channel, and then the buttons ceased working at all. I can turn it on, look sadly on the display, and turn it off. Tried to mingle with it's insides, and can see broken soldering on the plug part, which could be managed, and broken inside plug connected to the "steering wheel", but damn thing is just too small, to even try to fix it somehow (my phone-fixing-for-a-living friend backed me up there). So, that would be the 4th playered I used up (and 3rd Sansa). I'm hunting on a local equivalent of e-bay now for some replacement.
I've actually had many players in the past, but now I'm stuck with a classic Zune ( yes it's huge but it fits my pocket, doesn't bother me and works ok). Maybe you could try something like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sports-usb ... een-106055
or if you don't want to get a card:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-rechar ... -2gb-30107
I'll probably get a hold on one of this sometime soon

haha that place is awesome. Riverside and all. But when your in the Philippines...yep, good luck trying to find something like that in the city. (the good places in here are just too far away.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Oh yeah, quick question. I've passed day 2 and all. And I know this is a stupid question but, do I jog for 1 min. or should I run like hell for the whole min.?

I was just wondering coz I've read some posts here that they're feet were feeling sore afterwards. And I was feeling...well, not much.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Akros

Post by Akros »

@ZXRN just for the record I live in a really crowded place in Spain, thank god there's something like that, even though there's cemment, since couples and such go there for a walk.
Try going to a park or something like that. About running, I guess that's up to you, if you want to build stamina faster maybe you should go for it, run like hell, then just walk slow, but if you wanna keep the rhythm try jogging and walk fast then, so there's not such a huge different. Anyway I'm no expert, let's wait for someone to clear this up.
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

First run after being sick for a week, and it went pretty good, 5k in 30m18s, next time im going for 6k under 31m :)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25