Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ook

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by ook »

Well, now seems to be a good time to start the pushups (Really thanks for making that chart. I like how you can see the coming weeks all at once, unlike the website. Gives me something to look forward to and think "soon I will be able to do that.") You'e definitely inspired me to start with that guide.

So here we go, week 1 day 1... complete.

And it was tough. :mrgreen:
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Great job on the chart, Althamus. I didn't like the multiple column streams on the hundred pushups website either. Your progression looks very sensible, from what I can tell. I've started "playtesting" it, starting with week 3 day 1. I'll be doing day two this evening. Thanks for taking the initiative to put it together. It looks like you've caused a push ups outbreak. :)
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

W3D1 after three weeks of not running actually went smoother than the first time I did W3D1.
I really don't understand how my body works.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Glad to have helped some people :)
Enemy | wrote:W3D1 after three weeks of not running actually went smoother than the first time I did W3D1.
I really don't understand how my body works.
I had the same thing with pushups as well. I think a couple of days isn't enough time to 100% recover from exrecising. It recovers enough such that you can exercise again, but not completely. Resting up for a week or so allows you to recover as completely as you can, so you'll be stronger and more able to do your exercise.
At least, that's my experiences.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Akros

Post by Akros »

Ok, so day 1 of what I'll call "summer training" was a failure.
It's been like 2 weeks since my last run, so I couldn't manage more than a 16 min run nonstop, I don't know if it's because my leg still hurts a bit, It was close to noon and hot, or if it had something to do with changing places ( can't do anymore river runs now :( ). Also I'm not used to morning runs, so tomorrow I'll attempt W8D3 again but this time I'll set up a route so I can leave at sometime around 23h or so.
I got back to doing sit-ups again and did the test for the 100 push-ups. I only managed to do like 15 without trembling too much, so I'll start off with that.

If the pain in my right leg is still there tomorrow after the soccer game that I'll be playing first thing in the morning I'll go check with a doctor or something.
BTW there's some progress going on with the mini arcade machine, so as soon as I get done I'll post some pics with the Hanako artwork :D
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Walrusfella wrote:Great job on the chart, Althamus. I didn't like the multiple column streams on the hundred pushups website either. Your progression looks very sensible, from what I can tell. I've started "playtesting" it, starting with week 3 day 1. I'll be doing day two this evening. Thanks for taking the initiative to put it together. It looks like you've caused a push ups outbreak. :)
Some people are just physically stronger than the others...I could only do 10 straight, so that's pretty impressive for meh.

update:
On Althamus's chart! W2D2 was pretty nice. Definitely less difficult than the one the site where my arms were wobbling just from day 1 alone...(but since I still struggled on my last set of 10, I can imagine day3 is gonna be a little rough for me. Must do my best then!)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
DrNonookee

Post by DrNonookee »

Well, after getting fed up with the whole 'power walking' thing (mostly because it made my feet hurt like hell), I've decided to bite the bullet and just try straight-out jogging. And happily enough, it seems to be working - I'm not experiencing the knee pain I was originally afraid of (mostly because I've found a gait that minimizes up/down movement of my torso). Even weirder, my feet don't hurt at all - apparantly the long stride of power walking somehow hurts them *more* than jogging. :shock:

Indeed, the physical stress hardly seems to be a problem at all - the big limiter so far is that of respiration. I'm nowhere near the '8 minutes a day of total jogging' mark listed on Week 1 of Emi's Running Chart(tm) - probably more around 3, if I'm being generous - and it's mostly because I can't go for more than 20 seconds or so at a stretch before getting too winded to continue. I have to slow to a walk and get my breath back before resuming, and since I keep running out, it takes a while to even get up that total 3 minutes. Grah, stupid fat lazy body. :| Ah, well...nobody ever said exercise was easy, especially when you weigh more than twice as much as most guys your age. I guess I'll just have to do what I can and hope I eventually improve. :?

One thing I did want to ask, though: what's the best time and way to hydrate? I'm sweating more than I was before now that I'm really getting active, and I want to know how best to replenish my fluids (and stay well-watered overall; it helps burn fat). I avoided drinking anything at all after my jog last night (mostly so I wouldn't have to pee in the middle of the night), and woke up groggy with my mouth and sinuses all dry. Bleh.

Should I drink a large amount of water earlier in the day *before* I jog, and then sweat it out? Should I jog first, and then drink the water? Or should I just drink a lot of water overall in small amounts throughout the day instead of one big shot to make up for sweating?
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

DrNonookee wrote:One thing I did want to ask, though: what's the best time and way to hydrate? I'm sweating more than I was before now that I'm really getting active, and I want to know how best to replenish my fluids (and stay well-watered overall; it helps burn fat). I avoided drinking anything at all after my jog last night (mostly so I wouldn't have to pee in the middle of the night), and woke up groggy with my mouth and sinuses all dry. Bleh.

Should I drink a large amount of water earlier in the day *before* I jog, and then sweat it out? Should I jog first, and then drink the water? Or should I just drink a lot of water overall in small amounts throughout the day instead of one big shot to make up for sweating?
Ending up with a dry throat means you're dehydrated, and this is a bad thing.

How long do you have between when you jog and when you sleep? If you have at least 30-45 mins, and you haven't had anyting to eat for an hour and a half or more, most of the water will pass through your system before you go to sleep anyways. Either way, I don't know your habits, but I'd recommend at least a small glass of water after exercise and before bed as it'll help replace some of the water you've lost in the run.

And if you've pretty dehydrated yourself (as in, in day-to-day, not "been in a desert a month" thing) then drinking a load of water in one go isn't the best way to sort yourself out, but in my experience it works pretty well, although if you can drink bits during the day it'll obviously be better for you.

Edit: Updated 100PU chart. Mostly aestetics changes and one clarification.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Babli

Post by Babli »

Yesterday, I started 5k to 10k and it went relatively fine. Considering I didnt eat much that day. I have habit of not eating much during very hot days. Hopefully, tomorrow and Friday will be better.

Also, I´d like to start that pushup challenge, but not until Rin chart is made. (make it red, please) :mrgreen:
Akros

Post by Akros »

Soccer game today was great :D
I'll attempt W8D3 again tomorrow and I'll also start with the push ups ( week 3 according to Althamus' chart), anyway, doing stuff like this on a daily basis feels great :D
Babli wrote:Yesterday, I started 5k to 10k and it went relatively fine. Considering I didnt eat much that day. I have habit of not eating much during very hot days. Hopefully, tomorrow and Friday will be better.

Also, I´d like to start that pushup challenge, but not until Rin chart is made. (make it red, please) :mrgreen:
+1 bro
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Babli wrote:Yesterday, I started 5k to 10k and it went relatively fine. Considering I didnt eat much that day. I have habit of not eating much during very hot days. Hopefully, tomorrow and Friday will be better.

booya, someone who agrees with meh! :lol:

@Dr. Nonokee
Well, after getting fed up with the whole 'power walking' thing (mostly because it made my feet hurt like hell), I've decided to bite the bullet and just try straight-out jogging. And happily enough, it seems to be working - I'm not experiencing the knee pain I was originally afraid of (mostly because I've found a gait that minimizes up/down movement of my torso). Even weirder, my feet don't hurt at all - apparantly the long stride of power walking somehow hurts them *more* than jogging.
You can try running in the morning maybe? I do that and since the breeze is nice on that place with all the nature thing going on, it feels pretty relaxing. And you might even run further coz well...it's relaxing. (Other than my opinion, Althamus pretty much said everything else that's right.)

Lastly, an update:
push-up challenge: W2D3 complete! Everything was fine but my last set (on the 10+ part) made my back hurt and was pretty crappy coz I could only go 8 and had to rest 15 sec. to reach 12...

running: Shall continue on Saturday.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Clicked out of curiosity and HNNNG. Why did Emi's picture have to be on these charts...Now I'm gonna feel bad for not exercising. :( Stupid heat...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Xanatos wrote:Clicked out of curiosity and HNNNG. Why did Emi's picture have to be on these charts...Now I'm gonna feel bad for not exercising. :( Stupid heat...
To help us relive the memory and keep motivation? ^^. And yeah, I find it really hard to exercise in the heat, too; luckily, nights are pretty cool where I am so I do most of mine at about 11pm.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

dwarduk wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Clicked out of curiosity and HNNNG. Why did Emi's picture have to be on these charts...Now I'm gonna feel bad for not exercising. :( Stupid heat...
To help us relive the memory and keep motivation? ^^. And yeah, I find it really hard to exercise in the heat, too; luckily, nights are pretty cool where I am so I do most of mine at about 11pm.
I'm actually mostly nocturnal these days so I could exercise when the sun is down...It's the humidity that killed me last time. :( I TRIED, EMI!
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
DrNonookee

Post by DrNonookee »

You can try running in the morning maybe? I do that and since the breeze is nice on that place with all the nature thing going on, it feels pretty relaxing.
Hell no. :p There are a number of reasons for this, but the biggest one is the heat. I live in the southeastern United States, and for the past several years the summer heat around here has been brutal - we're talking at least 90 degrees Farenheit most days, if not right around 100. And that's just the ambient temperature - not counting the direct sunlight blazing down on you making it feel even worse. Jogging in these conditions would be loopy for *normal* people...with my high body fat, that sort of activity in that heat would make me collapse from heat exhaustion. No thanks. :P

There's also the fact that I go to work in the afternoon, and my job involves standing near a metal detector and monitoring employees as they leave to prevent theft. I really don't want to burn out my legs in the morning, and then have to go to work and stand around all evening with them being all limp and noodley. :roll: Indeed, that's part of the point of working out for me - I want to improve my ability to walk and stand around without having to sit down every few minutes. By getting my exercise in before bed, I can let my muscles recover their strength while I sleep. When I wake up the next morning, they're rather stiff and sore, but after a few minutes of moving around the soreness goes away and I'm left with this delightful relaxed sensation, like my body is enjoying a reeeeealy good wake-up stretch that lasts for hours. It's like when you wake up the morning after sex, feeling tired but in a good way, and you just sort of lie there and enjoy it for a while. A morning-after-glow, if you will. ;)
Why did Emi's picture have to be on these charts...Now I'm gonna feel bad for not exercising.
That's kind of the point. :P The hardest part of exercise is keeping at it regularly. It's hard to establish new habits when they require so much effort (physical and otherwise), and I know from experience how easy it is to blow something off "for just one night". And then again, and again, until you're not even bothering with the pretense anymore.

Think of Emi as your personal trainer. ;) She's going out of her way to encourage complete strangers like us to get up and get active out of nothing more than the goodness of her heart. She has faith in you, even when you yourself don't. After all that, how can you let her down like that?

[shimmie]1068[/shimmie]
You don't want to make her *cry*, do you? :cry:

(On a side note, I think this is the reason why I like Emi and Shizune so much. They both push you towards self-actualization - to improve yourself, to try new things, to be better than you are. Emi does so through friendly encouragement and setting an earnest, energetic example...Shizune does it by playfully taunting you, goading you into taking risks. God bless you, ladies.) :mrgreen:
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!