Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SemisoftCheese

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by SemisoftCheese »

Sleeve wrote:Thanks again Semisoft, you're a saint.
Is there a disadvantage to just doing some regular cycling for maintenance? I find stationary bikes dreadfully dull :P.
No problem man, just make sure you're getting your heart racing for a good half an hour or so each day. Maybe take an extra loop or something--the real goal is just to make sure your body doesn't think it's time to relax. Cycling does work different muscles than running though, so be sure to try running after 1 week of rest.
BionicKraken wrote: I'd super appreciate the help.
I think one of the best ways to force yourself to workout is to train with a team or a buddy. It's really easy to wake up at 5AM, look at the alarm clock, and roll back to sleep. It's a little different if you've got someone waiting at the track for you--you feel obligated to wake up, because otherwise you're letting them down. Better yet, they can pace you and push you forwards. When I run with my team, I always run a little faster than I do by myself.

If this isn't the case with your friend (she lives far away, non-compatible schedules, you get the idea), and there isn't a local club she can join, then the key to motivating yourself is to take it step by step. Make it a goal one week to run one mile every morning. Then the next week, two. It's not hard to get a serious workout schedule if you break it into little steps. You don't need to motivate yourself a ton if you just set a tiny goal in front of yourself. Just take it a day at a time.

As for diet and stuff... for now, just use common sense. Grilled chicken is better than a hamburger. After a strenuous workout, protein (steak, beans, eggs). Drink lots of water. Avoid sodas. There's a ton of complicated stuff with carbs and what fat does in the body and whatever that I'm going to write about soon (I promise), but in general, your common sense won't lead you wrong.
YZQ wrote: Next, be aware of what and when you eat. Cut back (NOT eliminate) on foods with high fat/sugar.
Gaaah. So many things to say about nutrition. And fats. And sugars. This is true, in a sense, but there are other things like sodium and water weight and... I really need to just bang this out one of these days.

also i forgot to mention:
Sleeve wrote:the girl I introduced to KS.
whaaaa---
BionicKraken

Post by BionicKraken »

Yeah, I could hear the desperation in her voice. It's definitely serious. But I'm skinny as a rail, and losing a whole bunch of weight is a much different situation. I can't just make her start running with me. So that's the kind of advice I'm looking for; from somebody who has been in that situation.
Much love to the Emi workout thread for kickstarting many positive changes in both my life and my mindset.
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

Hello everyone, hope you have all been swell.

Been a long time since I have been here, got a bit of catching up to do, but it does inspire me to see that people are still running here.

Unfortunately I must apologize, I was a regular here quite a few months back and stuck with this for a good while. However at some point I stopped running, it happened all at once and I quit doing running and checking this forum altogether. So I must apologize to you all, my internet friends, and to Emi as well. However now, I am back, and I am determined again to get back into this, so I will reset where I was and start running again. I hope to get to know you all again over these next 9+ weeks.

Let's all have fun and get to that elusive runners high!
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed
Sleeve

Post by Sleeve »

SemisoftCheese wrote:
whaaaa---
I was enjoying it so much I wanted to share it with someone. She is into anime and Japan in general so I suggested it to her.
She seemed to like it, she even played to 100% (yes, she had adult content on).

I personally would have found it much harder introducing it to one of my male friends, they have typical young man pride issues.
Alternatively I suppose it could be feminist mind control.
"But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing, and you were supposed to sing, or to dance, while the music was being played." - Alan Watts
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Sk3tch wrote:Hello everyone, hope you have all been swell.

Been a long time since I have been here, got a bit of catching up to do, but it does inspire me to see that people are still running here.

Unfortunately I must apologize, I was a regular here quite a few months back and stuck with this for a good while. However at some point I stopped running, it happened all at once and I quit doing running and checking this forum altogether. So I must apologize to you all, my internet friends, and to Emi as well. However now, I am back, and I am determined again to get back into this, so I will reset where I was and start running again. I hope to get to know you all again over these next 9+ weeks.

Let's all have fun and get to that elusive runners high!

Welcome back Sk3tch! No need to apologise to us, just glad you've resolved to start again. Restarting something difficult like this after stopping isn't easy; good on you. Let us know how it goes!
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Sleeve wrote:
SemisoftCheese wrote:
whaaaa---
I was enjoying it so much I wanted to share it with someone. She is into anime and Japan in general so I suggested it to her.
She seemed to like it, she even played to 100% (yes, she had adult content on).

I personally would have found it much harder introducing it to one of my male friends, they have typical young man pride issues.
Alternatively I suppose it could be feminist mind control.
Yeah, young guys are like that. What can you do? I don't see a big deal in at least mentioning it though, particularly if any of them are into anime. I figure just being casual about it, and emphasizing that its free might be a good idea. Who knows, they might get bored and decide to have a look. :)

I've had a lot of luck introducing it to my female friends on Second Life. I think at this point I've hooked about 4-5 people into trying it. I usually try to emphasize the sweet, romantic angle. They know i'm a nice, sensitive person so they tend to check it out on my recommendation.

Anyway, gettign back on topic, while i'm not a runner, I do tend to ride my bike to and from the grocery on ocassions (about 1.5 miles each way). I really need to get out there today now that you mention it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

Walrusfella wrote:snip
It's neat to see you still here, I think when we started you were either 1 or 2 weeks ahead of me. And now to see, had I really stuck with it, I would probably be around where you are.

Half Marathon, that is damn impressive.

Now my goal has become to catch up with you now.
Sleeve

Post by Sleeve »

pandaphil wrote: Yeah, young guys are like that. What can you do? I don't see a big deal in at least mentioning it though, particularly if any of them are into anime. I figure just being casual about it, and emphasizing that its free might be a good idea. Who knows, they might get bored and decide to have a look. :)
Don't really feel the need now I've got someone to discuss it with. I just wanted someone to make feminism/lemon-lube/Anal. jokes with at college if i'm honest :P.

I must say I'm also very impressed Walrusfella, by both the running and your damn cool jacket. Planning to progress to half marathon myself after my charity run.
Think there are a few half marathons throughout the year in my area, so I'll see if I can complete an event before I go to Japan. An event to work towards has only helped my current goal.

Good news is my leg is feeling much better now, I should be able to jump back in no problem on Monday.
Bad news is I wasn't able to track down those orthotics you mentioned, Semisoft. I think they aren't really available here in the UK.

I would really appreciate a guide on running shoes. I don't mind spending some more money to get it right (my current shoes were bought with vouchers for a crappy chain store I hate anyway).

On the topic of motivation my tip would be to try shifting your sleep schedule; early to bed early to rise as the saying goes.
I made an extreme shift when I started running, I made my bed time 8pm, causing me to naturally wake at around 4am once I got used to it.
This avoids the fight against the alarm clock, no matter when I wake I have time to run and shower (as well as last minute homework).
Running at this time avoids waits at traffics lights, means that the road is safe to run on and is incredibly serene. It feels like I have the whole world to myself.
Waking up without an alarm clock is also the best way to ensure you are getting enough sleep.

Best of luck in your endeavors this week guys.
"But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing, and you were supposed to sing, or to dance, while the music was being played." - Alan Watts
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

Alright, day 1 of my new beginnings, is over.

Woke up at 5:30, the most miserable time of the day, to run. Considering I am a night owl that tends to wake up at like 7:15 and leave for school 2 minutes later since it starts at 7:30 I call that a victory in of itself.

I was wearing a hoodie since I figured it might be a bit cold but I didn't account for my hands, which were freezing for the whole run, next time I'll wear gloves.

Also it was a good choice for me to start on Week 2 instead of Week 1. This run was just hard enough for me to push myself and work for it, but not too much that I wasn't able to do it.

Hope all of your runs go well!
SemisoftCheese

Post by SemisoftCheese »

okay. i've been thinking about writing this for a while, so figured i might as well give it a shot.

i think i'll also try to make some guides on injuries, getting swole, racing--hopefully these will help people who are having difficulty with their running. and not just me spouting hot air and useless knowledge.

SemisoftCheese's Guide to Buying Running Shoes:

So. Look at you. You've got money in your pocket and you're going to buy some new running shoes. Well, why should you buy running shoes in the first place?

Conventional sneakers fall into three categories:

Converse (Chuck Taylors): These shoes offer little support in all directions and little traction on the soles. People only buy them because they're in style and comfy.

Tennis/Basketball Shoes: Tennis and basketball emphasize movement in all directions, not just forwards. Tennis and basketball shoes have an "even" sole; in that both the toe-box and the heel are equidistant from the ground at rest. This allows the player to move in any direction from a neutral position with ease.

Running Shoes: Conventional running emphasizes a heel-striking movement, as well as unidirectional (forwards) movement. Thus, running shoes today have a raised heel--at rest, your heel is higher than your toes; because this helps you push off when you run. This is why running shoes are terrible for tennis--you'll twist your ankles because your foot platform isn't level.

Okay, so now you know why you want a pair of running shoes. How much do they cost?

A good pair of running shoes will run you about 50-70 USD (38-54 Euro, 33-46 GBP). Yes, there are quality ones to be had for less, and yes, there are rip-offs at higher prices, but in general, this is the normal pricing range.

Running shoes fall into a few categories:

Race/Spikes: These shoes look like this. During a race, these shoes are meant to protect your feet from the elements and offer traction. No support whatsoever. They're super-light, but you really trade off a ton of benefits. For obvious reasons, these shoes should be not worn for training runs, nor should you purchase them unless you race and your 5k time is below twenty minutes (above that, training will pay off more than gear).

Cross-trainers: These shoes look like normal running shoes. A good example is this. These differentiate from running shoes in that they're marketed as "trainers," meaning that they're a somewhat heavier (more support) and feature less of a bias towards the heel (more level). It's not a disaster to run in these, but if you're buying a pair of running shoes, you might as well buy a pair of actual running shoes. These shoes are meant for daily wear (walking around, school, etc,) as well as all-purpose workout shoes (gym lifting, agility exercises, cardio, etc.) Again, you can tell shoes are cross-trainers by the presence of "trainer" or "cross-trainer" in their name. These are frequently the kind of shoe you pick up at a chain store and think it's a proper running shoe--it's not. Like I said, they're not terrible, but why not just buy a real pair of running shoes.

Standard Running Shoes: There should be a better title for this... I couldn't really think of it. Anyway, these are the kinds of shoes I'm going to talk about in detail below, because for most of you, you're going to end up buying these. These are purpose-built running shoes, as indicated by the manufacturer and by its target audience. These shoes feature a decent level of support, a mid-level weight, as well as a higher level of heel-to-toe bias than training shoes. A good example is these. These shoes are just running shoes you could pick up in a running store. They're purposely made for runners. They're not notably light on features such as racing shoes, yet nor are they as heavy or feature oriented as "support shoes" (I'll go into this later). They're standard, decent, purpose built running shoes. I'll go into how to pick these later, but I've got one more category to discuss.

Support Shoes: For people who keep injuring themselves (like me), the answer may lie in your shoe. Delicate bone structure or weaker muscles in certain areas mean that you require more cushioning and support than your average runner. This is fine--you just need to pick a shoe that takes care of this. Your tradeoff (there always is one) is that these shoes tend to be a little heavier (an ounce or two), but for the price of no injuries, it's well worth the tradeoff. A classic example of support shoes are the Asics Gel-Kayano series.

So, as of now, if you aren't constantly getting shin splints and other assorted injuries, and would like a new pair of running shoes, go buy a pair of "standard' running shoes. A pair of running shoes lasts no more than 6 months. After that, the supportive properties bite the dust. You'll know when your shoes feel really soft and rubbery--the rubber and upper lining of your shoe has ceased to support your foot.

If you're injuring yourself with a pair of "standard" running shoes, try buying a pair of support shoes. Keep in mind this may be because of other things like running form, conditioning, etc, but if this is a constant problem, you might as well try a new pair of shoes.

Well, now that we've talked about the shoes so much, how do you buy them?

The best option is to locate your local running store. If they're worth their salt, they'll put you on a treadmill, watch you run for a bit, and pick out the perfect pair of shoes for you in your budget range. Their pricing tends to be fair if not better than a large chain store, and they really have the attention and knowledge that makes all the difference. If not, they'll at least listen to your problems and recommend a pair. Either way, it's better than going at it on your own in Sports Authority.

If you can't locate a running store near you, I would advise doing some research on your own and ordering shoes online, or choosing one of the pairs I've listed below. Sports chain stores rarely stock quality running shoes--most of the stuff they stock is fashion and workout gear. Avoid them.

I'll list my picks/avoids, and then, if you don't like any of them, I'll advise you how to pick your own.

Most if not all are my picks are Asics shoes. All of the picks I've made here I've owned/had experience with, and I've just been an asics runner my entire career.

I put some "avoids" in the "standard" category because those shoes, despite their marketing, aren't meant for you to run in.

"Standard' Running Shoes:

Asics Gel 21xx series: These shoes are reasonably priced, well-made, running shoes. I've run in the 2140 (now defunct), 2160 (rare, expensive because rare), and 2170 series. They're pretty standard shoes. A little expensive, but they're well made and do the job to perfection. You can find these everywhere online.

Nike Freeruns: I own these shoes for school and such. They're really comfy. Despite what Nike says, these absolutely suck at running. They offer no support whatsoever and are only good for perfectly even surface running with no turns (a treadmill). Avoid.

Nike Lunar Lites: These are slightly better than freeruns... but they're still just a bunch of marketing without any foot support. Avoid.

"Support" Running Shoes:

Most of my experience is with support shoes--I'm a really injury-prone guy. My picks here are what I've seriously figured out over the past few years--I've spent alot of time researching and demoing support shoes for my feet. The ones listed below are my top picks--I can provide an extended list if necessary.

Asics Gel-Kayano Series: These shoes are a staple of the running world. Tons of runners prefer them for their comfort, the fact that asics tends to bundle up the latest technology in each release, and that they offer a ton of support without adding too much weight. I posted a review about the 19's above... but to be honest, asics hasn't done anything really super-innovative since the Gel-Kayano 16's. The 16's can be found for around $80 online as opposed to the $150 19's, which is a pretty good savings.

Asics Gel-3020: These shoes are my personal pick. I'm a serious overpronator (flat-foot, my soles roll on the inside of my foot when I run), and as a result, I get large amounts of shin splints and ankle stress. I've run the 3020's in my entire career (3 pairs so far)--they're made light by plastic instead of rubber, and they're pretty comfortable too. The last time I purchased a pair (August), I grabbed one for around $120. These are still sorta-around--there's a successor, the gel-3030, but it's cheaper and not as well-made. If you can get a pair of 3020's, get them.

A word of advice about support shoes: Support shoes are really like a glove. You have to sort of poke around until you find one that solves your problems. When I first started having foot problems, I switched to a pair of Gel-Kayanos, which alleviated the problem halfway. I thought that was it. Then I bought a pair of 3020's on impulse, and they solved my problem completely. You never really know unless you sort of poke around with your feet. Unless you're made of money (you can buy a ton of shoes,) this is one of the reasons why I suggest you go to a running store.

"Racing Shoes"

I've only ever run one race in racing shoes, and I had to sit out for a week afterwards (no running at all). Make sure your feet really can handle the abuse these give you. I did cut a minute and a half off my time, so if you're serious about your race, these might be a good investment.

Nike Mayfly's: These shoes have been around for a while, and with very good reason--they're super light, offer a little more cushioning than "track" flats, and they're very, very, light. One of my buddies used these to win the sectional championship. They don't offer much support, like I said, but they're killer for races. They're about $50.

So above are the shoes I've used/recommended. Quick recap:

1) Run in running shoes, not basketball or cross-trainer shoes
2) A pair of running shoes lasts 6 months--no more. If you choose to run in them longer than that, and your feet don't hurt, then you've got good feet--shoes stop supporting around that point.
3) If you have problems with your feet, get support shoes. If not, get standard shoes.
4) It may not be your shoes--you can have poor form, bone problems--whatever. Shoes are only one of the steps you can take to alleviate the problem.
5) Go to a running store if you can because they can answer all your questions personally. Seriously, every running store I've been in is stocked with nice dudes.

EDIT: Socks!

Socks! I forgot to write about these.

Socks: If you get blisters, don't forget about the virtues of good, padded, socks. They make your shoes fit like a glove, which allow them to support your feet better. If you get blisters a ton, just pop down to your local clothing store and buy some nice, well-fitting, brand-name athletic socks. Socks should fit like a glove--buy a pair to try and then buy a bunch of the ones that fit.

You sort of want your socks to cover your ankles so the shoe doesn't irritate the skin, but I've run in low-cut (you can't see the socks) socks without much of a problem. Mid-calves are sort of nice because they lend your ankle a teensy (really small) bit of support, but some people find them terribly irritating, so it's up to you to decide.

If you've got sweaty feet (gross, sorry), and you keep on getting blisters no-matter what you wear, I recommend Thorlo socks. I know they're terribly expensive, but I've had some for two years now and they haven't worn away at all-still as soft and cushy as the first day. You don't have to buy these unless you're constantly getting blisters--a pack of socks by champion or nike or whatever will do just as good a job.

Avoid, saggy, droopy, socks. They aren't good for you.

Hopefully people find this helpful and not full of hot air. As always, I'm around for q's.
Last edited by SemisoftCheese on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

SemisoftCheese, I was just wondering about this! My 4 year old new balance shoes aren't doing much to keep my feet from blistering with the new workout regime, so thank you very much for the guide. On socks: do you think Champion is a good brand?
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
SemisoftCheese

Post by SemisoftCheese »

muliebrity wrote:SemisoftCheese, I was just wondering about this! My 4 year old new balance shoes aren't doing much to keep my feet from blistering with the new workout regime, so thank you very much for the guide.
no problem dude, glad to help!
On socks: do you think Champion is a good brand?
uh oh. time for a sock guide.

to be honest, just look for a good pair of padded athletic socks. in my sock drawer, i've got some nike socks, some adidas socks, actually lots of champion socks, some runner's world socks, and some thorlo socks.

quick guide:

look at this sock.

this may sound a little bullshitty, but just go with me here. if you look at this sock and how it fits, you can see it just sort of loosely wraps about the foot. the ankle elastic is sort of loose, meaning it's comfortable if you're just wearing them with sneakers. these socks are loose. they are not meant for athletics. they will give you blisters.

this sock is a generic (hanes) sock. it's meant for wearing around a mall or something. don't run in this sock. you will get a blister.

look at this sock

okay. these socks costs twice as much as the other socks. damn.

well, you can't really judge a sock by it's picture on amazon (canned laughter here), but you can sort of see that these socks will hug your feet, giving you no blisters.

i guess i'll just rattle off some sock brands. try and buy ankle length or higher length socks. lo-cut socks have difficulty grabbing onto the foot.

nike, adidas, ironman, mizuno, pearl izumi, champion, under armour, asics, athletic dna... basically if it's a sports brand, it's ok.

btw

if your blisters keep bothering you, post or pm me and i'll write something on how to fit shoes. shoe-fit can cause blisters because your foot rubs around the inside of the shoe, no-matter how new it is. new shoes can solve this sometimes, but also make sure your shoes fit. with your foot firmly planted in the heel, there should be around 1mm of wiggle room. your pinky toe shouldn't be super-pressed up in the toe-box, and the bridge (the part under your laces) shouldn't feel squished.

as always, around for more q's.
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Thanks for the tips, I would have thought below the ankle was better, I appreciate the insight.
SemisoftCheese wrote:if your blisters keep bothering you, post or pm me and i'll write something on how to fit shoes. shoe-fit can cause blisters because your foot rubs around the inside of the shoe, no-matter how new it is. new shoes can solve this sometimes, but also make sure your shoes fit. with your foot firmly planted in the heel, there should be around 1mm of wiggle room. your pinky toe shouldn't be super-pressed up in the toe-box, and the bridge (the part under your laces) shouldn't feel squished.
This is all great to know. I'll definitely take you up on your offer if the problems persist.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
A Forum Member

Post by A Forum Member »

I remember visiting this thread almost 3 months ago shortly after I finished my first path (Emi) and it is still going, which is really nice to see. I've gone from being able to run about 0,7 miles to about 2 miles since I started my routine in early January 2013, and then I only use running as a warmup before my workout. It really is motivating to watch as your stamina increases and now I can't break out of this routine without feeling absolutly terrible about myself.

Keep on running.
Parliament

Post by Parliament »

Hi again everyone! Checking in quickly =)
Haven't been able to work out the past 3-4 days on account of getting sick. Too much congestion to sleep a decent amount let alone hop on a bike for an hour. Leaving for a beach trip tomorrow, hopefully I'll be better by the time I'm back so I can get back into the swing of things.

In the mean time, I hope the rest of you are well and able to get on with your exercise routines, I know I've been missing that delicious feeling you get right after a good sweat.

Also Semisoft, thanks so much for compiling all that info. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates all the effort =)
I wish I had some kind of succinct piece of wisdom to put here. Oh well, bathrobes are comfy =)