Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Maakasu_Taihaku

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Maakasu_Taihaku »

Thanks for the input i'll consider, i really would love to bike again
Hanako....can't stop thinking about her.....
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Biking is fun, but very expensive if you want a decent machine :(
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Maakasu_Taihaku

Very true...just running might be cheaper, but i feel better biking than running XD, even if sometimes i look like a tool walking my bike up a steep hill.... Im no Tour de France person XD I go up hills....but my one hill As Hisao said "Oh hell no...."
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

heh, same here. I live on the top of a hill and it gives even more experienced bikers with light road bikes the creeps. I am heavy myself and got a very sturdy (means heavy) mountainbike. Well, that builds character I guess :D
Maakasu_Taihaku

Hardships in life are meant to build character, not destroy us.

No matter what type of hardship it is, from working out to emotional drama.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

dunkelfalke wrote:Biking is fun, but very expensive if you want a decent machine :(
Stick to the indecent one, then. I bought my bike in a pawn shop for equivalent of 50 euro, together with a wall clock.

So while Dunkelfalke's front fork is worth more than the car I ride, so some kind of cultural/geographical factors may influence the value, I still don't believe there is no possibility to buy a riding, almost-unquestionably-not-stolen bike for 200 euros anywhere in the world.

By the way, I went down with a flu, so I'm suspending my running until able to put of aspirin (If Rin's path tought me anything, it's keeping clear from codeine :P). No fun running in snow with a fewer.
I'm still pretty determined though.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

NoOne3 wrote:Stick to the indecent one, then. I bought my bike in a pawn shop for equivalent of 50 euro, together with a wall clock.

So while Dunkelfalke's front fork is worth more than the car I ride, so some kind of cultural/geographical factors may influence the value, I still don't believe there is no possibility to buy a riding, almost-unquestionably-not-stolen bike for 200 euros anywhere in the world.
I made the same mistake with my first one. Never again a cheap bike. Never ever. The cheapest usable bikes start around €500 new over here (really good ones start at around two thousand), and about €350 used, but you have to buy it off some bicycle enthusiast, since pawn shop bikes aren't worth the money. If it is a MTB or a trekking bike, then the drivetrain and the brakes should start at the Deore level, better SLX (SRAM is nice in their own way, but Shimano gives you more bang for the buck due to better economy of scale). Anything below is either pure crap right away or starts to feel like that as soon as the weather gets a bit rainy or you try to ride even a little bit off plastered roads.

It is not snobbery, just that the difference between a bad bike and a good one is really huge.
urishima

Post by urishima »

dunkelfalke wrote: It is not snobbery, just that the difference between a bad bike and a good one is really huge.
Well, just as the old German saying goes: Wer billig kauft, kauft doppelt (buy cheap = buy twice)

My running shoes were 130 € and those are worth every buck :D
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Yep, so it is. The same goes for the difference between Meindl mountain boots and cheap discounter ones.

That reminds me of the Vimes' theory of socioeconomic unfairness:
“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.
Maakasu_Taihaku

I actually should buy new good shoes......but SCV comes out XD.......

i don't mind running in the snow, if i run. I like the snow, like Lilly lol. thats why i think shes my 2nd favourite, Hanako being first.
I could see myself getting along with those 2.

Hmmmm man, getting healthy can be hole in ur wallet
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Maakasu_Taihaku wrote:Hmmmm man, getting healthy can be hole in ur wallet
Only if you let it to. You can workout without a dime if you want to.

I won't argue about bike prices though, as I said - geographical considerations.
dunkelfalke wrote:I made the same mistake with my first one. Never again a cheap bike.
Not a mistake in my case. I never said it was ready to go. Had to change some spokes, and the tires. I'm planning to buy a new rear axle sometime in the spring (is it hard to ride a fixed-gear bike? I might want to try it), and I love buing second hand, since you never know what you get (which can be a good thing sometimes - the front axle appeared to be some kind of a posh classic, and the spoke-guy wanted to buy it from me on the spot). The bike still have some miles in it.

And still, I have a clock.
urishima wrote:My running shoes were 130 € and those are worth every buck :D
Emi is not impressed. I read an online interview with an amputee sportsman. Prices for a single below-the-knee prosthesis suitable for some sport activity starts at 10000 €. Running blades are usually more expensive. And they have to be changed or extensively repaired every three-four years (for grownups).

So actually whatever we say, we have it cheap.

Edit: Terry Pratchett FTW!
Last edited by NoOne3 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maakasu_Taihaku

Very true we don't need to pay so much...eating healthy though can be expensive XD, plus u need to form a habit to do so, which can be hard
urishima

Post by urishima »

Maakasu_Taihaku wrote:eating healthy though can be expensive XD
It can but it doesn't have to be.
If you don't know what to cook, keep an eye out for cooking books like 'eat healthy and cheap' or whatever those are named. Many of those are garbage but there might be some good ones out there.
Maakasu_Taihaku wrote: plus u need to form a habit to do so, which can be hard
I actually found it rather easy to start my running routine. All I do is set my alarm clock, next morning I get up at 5, go running, do my stretching and get ready for work.
The trick is not to think about it too much, just do it.
Everyone calls me crazy for getting up so early but I prefer it over running out after work. I know myself good enough to know that I just don't want to do anything when I get home after work. My 'innerer Schweinehund' is actually more of a stubborn mule :D
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako
Number 905

Post by Number 905 »

I just got done with day one of that couch to 5k plan that was posted earlier in the thread.

I'm exhausted.
ForLackofaBetterName

Post by ForLackofaBetterName »

Number 905 wrote:I just got done with day one of that couch to 5k plan that was posted earlier in the thread.

I'm exhausted.
It's never easy. I guess I've always been active in some form or another. But I'll always have spurts of laziness. The hardest part comes from having yourself take a beating/ get exhausted from a workout and deciding to keep going back.

Your future self will thank you though for keeping going.

And good work on starting! :D Keep it up!
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.