Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mirrormn

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Mirrormn »

I win!

Today was supposed to be Week 7 Day 2 for me (25 minute jog), but by the time I was ~24 minutes in, I didn't feel tired at all.

So I just kept going.

Not only did I continue running for another 5 minutes, but I also started going faster and faster. By the 27 minute mark, I was more running than jogging, and even that didn't tire me, so I went faster still, so by the 29 minute mark I was at a full-out sprint.

It was a full 30 minute run in the end, which means I have effectively skipped 1 weeks of the program, and my next run will now be Week 9 Day 1.

I also signed up for a charity 5k run/walk on April 28th, and a 5k race near the end of June. It's completely baffling to me to do be in this good of shape, considering my personal history. I feel great!
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
NL-=3

Post by NL-=3 »

Mirrormn wrote:I win!

Today was supposed to be Week 7 Day 2 for me (25 minute jog), but by the time I was ~24 minutes in, I didn't feel tired at all.

So I just kept going.

Not only did I continue running for another 5 minutes, but I also started going faster and faster. By the 27 minute mark, I was more running than jogging, and even that didn't tire me, so I went faster still, so by the 29 minute mark I was at a full-out sprint.

It was a full 30 minute run in the end, which means I have effectively skipped 1 weeks of the program, and my next run will now be Week 9 Day 1.

I also signed up for a charity 5k run/walk on April 28th, and a 5k race near the end of June. It's completely baffling to me to do be in this good of shape, considering my personal history. I feel great!
Wow, that's nice. Do you plan to go futher than the couch to 5k, like doing 5 to 10k bridge?
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

NL-=3 wrote: Wow, that's nice. Do you plan to go futher than the couch to 5k, like doing 5 to 10k bridge?
I'm definitely going to keep running after finishing the Ct5K program, but I don't think I want to do the Bridge to 10k specifically, because those runs get a little too lengthy for my tastes. My plan is work on my speed over the course of a 30 minute run. Right now I think I'm actually only going about 4 kilometers in 30 minutes, so I need to pick up the pace a bit. I might actually work out a program for myself that's similar to Ct5K that alternates between jogging and running with increasing running period durations. Hopefully, in a few months, I'll be flying past people on the road!

Tempester

Post by Tempester »

Week 2 Day 3 of the Bridge to 10k. I was utterly spent by the time I finished the first 31 minutes (strange since I've ran 32 minutes non-stop before), so instead of doing a 1-minute walk, I rested for 15 minutes before completing the final 15-minute run. This marks the first time that I have "failed" a running session. One of the likely reasons is that I was running in the blazing sunlight in the middle of the day instead of the early morning like I did with the first 2 days of Week 2. However, I won't take any chances, so I'll repeat Week 2 before moving on to Week 3. I've heard that the Bt10k is quite a bit harder than the Ct5k anyway.

Also, how do you guys measure the distance that you run? I've been relying exclusively on time with my stopwatch up until now, with just a vague idea of how fast I'm running.

So I just kept going.

Great news! I had a similar experience when I completed 30 minutes on Week 8 Day 1 even though I was supposed to do 28. Sometimes you underestimate what your body is capable of achieving.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
Maakasu_Taihaku

Post by Maakasu_Taihaku »

ATTENTION everyone.... u just found a replacment for my pop......

Strawberry and banana fruit smooties that u buy in stores..... god..... its so good.......,..... its like heaven... and its healthy... must have more... but it could be costly -_- till i get a job its pop.... and sometimes smoothies XD

lol no one probably remembers me talking about it waaaaay back in the post
Last edited by Maakasu_Taihaku on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanako....can't stop thinking about her.....
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Tempester wrote: Also, how do you guys measure the distance that you run? I've been relying exclusively on time with my stopwatch up until now, with just a vague idea of how fast I'm running.
I've been "measuring" with Google maps satellite view and tracing my path out. Luckily, the trail I run on is a common area so the walking directions pick it up.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

:D Emi would be proud! As are we, but that's of lesser concern.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Minyalos

Post by Minyalos »

Just came back from running, and I'm dead. But I managed to finish it, even if I had to take slightly longer walking breaks towards the end. I'll do better on tuesday. Reading about all of your accomplishments makes me want to get better faster. :o
completesky

Post by completesky »

Tempester wrote:I've heard that the Bt10k is quite a bit harder than the Ct5k anyway.
This.

Anyone wanting to start the Bridge to 10K has to be prepared to feel like they are going to die halfway through the run. Don't let that put you off, though. You will feel like you can do anything once you have completed a day.
Emi's Couch to 5K - Done
Emi's Couch to 10K - Done
100 Push-Up Challenge - Pending
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Congratulations! This kind of accomplishment is a tonic to read. Makes me want to try harder.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Im thinking maybe I should try this...

I used to run the mile every day, but now that school is over Ive kinda let it go. Maybe this'll help?
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Camoufrage wrote:Im thinking maybe I should try this...

I used to run the mile every day, but now that school is over Ive kinda let it go. Maybe this'll help?
If you used to enjoy running, and now feel that you don't do as much exercise as you could, I'd recommend having a go :) It's more fun than you think, and the community spirit really helps me keep going :)

Edit: W4D1 done :D
21/25/21/21/32+ intended, 20/25/21/21/35 achieved! (I misremembered the number I needed on the first set, but the last set made up for it).

I never really know what to do with breathing when doing pushups. When I used to do 10 or something, I'd do them all in one breath. When I'm doing like 35 pushups, I can't really do them in one breath. I tried taking a breath every pushup, but it made me lose count of how many I'd done (Oh! A squirrel!), so now I do 5 pushups, breath deeply out, breath in deeply, do another 5, until I finish. Seemed to work pretty good in the last couple sets today :D I'll see how it goes on Wednesday.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Manman

Post by Manman »

MYYYYYY LEEEEEEEEGGSSS!

I did it, i ran the dreaded third day of the fifth week.
I actually went out thinking i wouldn't manage, but i did.
My tips for my fellow runners is to not look at the timer too much, it feelt like time went slower every time i looked at the watch.
Also, I was about to give up around 14 minutes in, but i keept saying "I'll just run past that tree over there ", then "I'll just run past that old man" and I kept doing it untill I was done.
Last edited by Manman on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Manman wrote: My tips for my fellow runner is to not look at the timer too much, it feelt like time went slower every time i looked at the watch.
Also, I was about to give up around 14 minutes in, but i keept saying "I'll just run past that tree over there ", then "I'll just run past that old man" and I kept doing it untill I was done.
Oh yes, very much this. I've found that if I focus how far I've already run, the voice inside my head starts saying "It wouldn't be so bad to quit now, all that running you just did would make anyone tired", and if I focus on how far I have left to go, the voice says "Wow, there's so much left, you'll never make it that far". It's best not to focus on either, and just think "I am currently running, and because of that fact, I know that I can continue running". Kind of a "Cucurri ergo possum currere" ("I am running, therefore I am able to run") type thing.

Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I had to take a two-day rest because of lack of opportunity.
Saturday was raining like there was no tomorrow here, and yesterday I spent the whole day at a birthday-paintball-pizza-eating thing.
I really want to get back to running now! :mrgreen:
Also... What is the minimum age for upper-body muscle exercise? I mean, like pushups and stuff.
Couchto5k Progress:
Kind-of-complete, increasing speed now.