Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Gandara

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Gandara »

jmeks23 wrote:Gandara, I see you're in Milwaukee as well! Pretty small world I guess. We should run once you start doing that!
Dude, nice! I'm actually in the 'burbs (Waukesha county to be more precise) but Miltown is only about a 15 minute drive from my place.

And yeah, I'm focusing on the dieting + light exercise right now. The way my knees and feet have been acting these past few days, I'm positive I can't push it too fast.

Speaking of, I think that I've determined the root of my foot and knee problem - I think it's my shoes. I bought a pair of "running" shoes for el cheapo, and they were very nice... for about the first two days I wore 'em. There's something wrong with those things, 'cause my feet were screaming hellions by the time I got to work today, and when I switched into my work shoes (rather heavy steel toe boots w/ massive inserts) they instantly felt better.

Oh well, twenty bones down the toilet. I'll get some new athletic shoes soon, hopefully shoes that are better suited to my feet.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
Akros

Post by Akros »

Gandara wrote:and when I switched into my work shoes (rather heavy steel toe boots w/ massive inserts) they instantly felt better.
dude, what do you exactly do?
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Akros wrote:dude, what do you exactly do?
Not as much as you might think. I work within the Cuisine department of a rather large production plant. We're required to wear steel-toe shoes because we often have to go out onto the plant floor where there's forklifts and other heavy machinery flying around. I've gotten my damn feet saved several times by those steel toes.

The boots in question have very large inserts in them, with arch support, that make walking on them feel like heaven. Granted, I'm on my feet an average of 5 hours a day, so by the end I'm a little sore regardless of comfort level. Having said that, the glaring difference between my new (see: garbage) running shoes and my work boots gives solidity to my theory that the new shoes are garbage.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
Synthus

Post by Synthus »

With shoes, you generally get what you pay for. Don't skimp, we're all too poor to buy cheap. :)
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

gRaViJa wrote:The first minute i sometimes have slight pains too, but they should fade quickly. If not, you should warm-up longer :)
I guess the darn thing is normal after all. I was a bit worried that this might hurt me in the long run. Thanks for the tip then.

I always feel a kind of numb pain the first few minutes when I do strenuous exercise of any kind. It sucks but it always goes away soon enough. Like gRaViJa said it might be a good idea to warm up a bit longer, of course I still get that annoying numbness regardless of how much I warm up so it might be something you just have to deal with.

Maybe i'll try this Emi thing, I really don't want to come up with my own routine and the girlfriend is more or less demanding that I get in shape. Evil woman.
I'll just keep going then. It does fade away after a few min. as you guys said.
side note: Show that woman who's the dominant one by being more physically fit then! wahahahaha
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Megumeru wrote:
ZXRN wrote:back to runnin again. Got a whole lot slower but i'm just happy this pain thing is gone.

wanted to ask, do you guys feel a little pain at the start of your run? Coz I always seem to feel like my joints are...i dunno getting pulled or something. (It's kinda irritating at the start...)
warm up mate, warm up.

I'm done with week four. Next week is five and I believe I'll collapse by the time I reach the third day...but we'll see
I'm worried about that as well. Since I was kinda 4 min. slower than before when I started week 4 again. Imagine what that 21 min. thing will do to me. (well, if my heart does pop out, at least I died trying!)
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

I just finished the Bridge to 10k program. I'm probably going to limit my running to twice a week now, as opposed to thrice as I did before. Two 60-minute runs a week is still more exercise than three 30-minute runs a week anyway.
Synthus wrote:With shoes, you generally get what you pay for. Don't skimp, we're all too poor to buy cheap. :)
And even expensive running shoes are nothing compared to the price of American healthcare.

Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Weekly Status Report

I'm down another 3.5 lbs. That makes it a total of 35.5 lbs. so far! I am officially 20% of the way to my target weight.

Weekly highlights:

1) Kept up with daily walking and my 2x weekly swim, despite having extremely sore knees and feet. I didn't walk as MUCH as I normally would (avg. 3 miles per day, rather than 5 miles) but I kept on it. Thank you to my Fitocrat friends and folks on here for keeping me motivated!

2) Moment of weakness - Unfortunately, I had fast food once this week. HOWEVER, I checked the nutrition facts and made sure to keep track of the calories. All told, the meal came out to about 1300 calories, so I went -slightly- over my 2000 calorie per day soft cap. That was the only day this week I broke 2k calories. I did not have a soda. All in all, it could have gone better but it certainly could have gone worse. I'm happy with the end result.
Tempester wrote:
Synthus wrote:With shoes, you generally get what you pay for. Don't skimp, we're all too poor to buy cheap. :)
And even expensive running shoes are nothing compared to the price of American healthcare.
Yes, yes. I shouldn't have bought the cheap shoes. It's just a little rough when you struggle to find enough money to pay for rent + bills. I'm currently subsiding on frozen chicken breasts and water until I can be sure I'll have enough money to go grocery shopping (Thursday's pay day) - spending a hundred dollars on a pair of freaking shoes is simply out of the question.

I do have a possible route to take though. The "shoemobile" is coming through my work next week, and I get a yearly $50 credit towards shoes through my job. I'm hoping I can either find a decent pair of athletic shoes for that much, or maybe talk them down to that much. Here's hoping.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Gandara wrote:I'm down another 3.5 lbs. That makes it a total of 35.5 lbs. so far! I am officially 20% of the way to my target weight.
Congratulations! :D That's really epic :D

I'm kinda faltering on my pushups at the minute, due to being tired all the time. I did however manage to do a kind of mini-endurance test yesterday. It wasn't the maximum amount I could do, but I was dead impressed that I managed to be able to do 50 without getting really exhausted, and when I was already starting off being pretty tired. Epic win :D

On the down side, one of the reasons I stopped was that my shoulder kept clicking when I extended my arms to full up position, which seemed to be a bad thing. Little bit worried about that, since I haven't done any pushups or hard arm exercise for a few days now, so I wouldn't have thought it'd be anything to do with overuse or something. I also have similar clicks in my hands when I do pushups, so I normally slightly dome my hands or clench my fists and do pushups from my palms which seems to stop them clicking.
Any thoughts?
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Gandara wrote:Weekly Status Report
I'm down another 3.5 lbs. That makes it a total of 35.5 lbs. so far! I am officially 20% of the way to my target weight.
Way to go, man!

Had to walk a fast 10 km yesterday and also to run for a few minutes, with a damn backpack. Since it uses some different muscle groups than biking I am totally sore this morning :?
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Today my exams are over and it raining non-stop. Whyyyyyyyyy?
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

gRaViJa wrote:Today my exams are over and it raining non-stop. Whyyyyyyyyy?
aww, that's ok dood. Your on week 4 as well right?

Look on the bright side, at least we get to finish at the same time. (Coz I couldn't run today either due to waking up too late...thank you brother and ps3...)
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Althamus wrote:
Gandara wrote:I'm down another 3.5 lbs. That makes it a total of 35.5 lbs. so far! I am officially 20% of the way to my target weight.
Congratulations! :D That's really epic :D

I'm kinda faltering on my pushups at the minute, due to being tired all the time. I did however manage to do a kind of mini-endurance test yesterday. It wasn't the maximum amount I could do, but I was dead impressed that I managed to be able to do 50 without getting really exhausted, and when I was already starting off being pretty tired. Epic win :D

On the down side, one of the reasons I stopped was that my shoulder kept clicking when I extended my arms to full up position, which seemed to be a bad thing. Little bit worried about that, since I haven't done any pushups or hard arm exercise for a few days now, so I wouldn't have thought it'd be anything to do with overuse or something. I also have similar clicks in my hands when I do pushups, so I normally slightly dome my hands or clench my fists and do pushups from my palms which seems to stop them clicking.
Any thoughts?
I don't know if this is gonna work. I had a similar problem once when I did push-ups before and what I did was to put some kinda cushion on your hand to avoid pain.
As for the clicking..maybe it's just starting get used to it again. (try warm up?) These are just my thoughts though...so don't mind me wahaha
Akros

Post by Akros »

ZXRN wrote:
gRaViJa wrote:Today my exams are over and it raining non-stop. Whyyyyyyyyy?
aww, that's ok dood. Your on week 4 as well right?

Look on the bright side, at least we get to finish at the same time. (Coz I couldn't run today either due to waking up too late...thank you brother and ps3...)
I thought he was done already, he is just doing runs now :\
Congrats on getting closer to your goal Gandara !
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

screw week 5.

I'm restarting week 4. Can't even finish the first day of week 5 and collapse on the third 5-minute run.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story