Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
gRaViJa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by gRaViJa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:12 pm

completesky wrote:After weeks of lurking I have signed up to say I have completed Emi25K today and feel much better for it. I even woke up at 6 every morning to do it (which has the added benefit of keeping my sleeping cycle in check). I am lucky enough to have not suffered any injuries although on some days I could not use my legs properly after the workout.

Thank you to whoever posted the chart originally. I recommend everyone to try it.
25k? :D
Anyway, congrats man!

tomorrow i'm going to jog together with someone who's much more experienced in it then me. We'll be running 5k, so i should be okay... but still i feel a bit nervous haha :p
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25

User avatar
Maakasu_Taihaku
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:24 am
Location: At Hanako's side...

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Maakasu_Taihaku » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:51 pm

gRaViJa wrote:
completesky wrote:After weeks of lurking I have signed up to say I have completed Emi25K today and feel much better for it. I even woke up at 6 every morning to do it (which has the added benefit of keeping my sleeping cycle in check). I am lucky enough to have not suffered any injuries although on some days I could not use my legs properly after the workout.

Thank you to whoever posted the chart originally. I recommend everyone to try it.
25k? :D
Anyway, congrats man!

tomorrow i'm going to jog together with someone who's much more experienced in it then me. We'll be running 5k, so i should be okay... but still i feel a bit nervous haha :p
Well good for you :D, I wish i had someone to job with XD
Hanako....can't stop thinking about her.....

User avatar
HD23
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by HD23 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Holy crap D1W1 kicked my buttock. Probably cause I did it wrong. Instead of doing 1 run and 1.5 walk I did 1.5 run and 1 walk, as I did not have my chart where I was running and I was going on memory. Actually, what I did seems a lot more like a slightly harder version of week 2, since I gave up after 6 iterations (which is actually more running than D1W1 should be). Wednesday and Friday I think I'll do it properly. I'm curious what speed everyone considers walking and running to be. I was using a treadmill, and I ran at 6mph and walked at 2 mph.

I also started the 100 pushup program yesterday, and I was surprised to find that the only part of my body that was sore after doing them was my stomach. Hopefully that'll feel better for tomorrow.
Katawa Shoujo Progress - 100%
Katawa Crash High Score - 214549.79m
Real Life Emi Running Program - Did well, then stopped. Need to start it up again soon.

themocaw
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by themocaw » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm

HD23 wrote:I'm curious what speed everyone considers walking and running to be.
Walking and running are actually two very different and defined motions regardless of speed. The major difference is that in running, there is a point in your stride where both feet are off the ground, while in walking, there is always at least one foot on the ground at any one point in time.

I got all the way to week 3 day 1 of Ct5K, then skipped two weeks because of a bad cold, and have gone back to repeating week 2.

3 words of advice:
1. use music.
2. Start and end with about five minutes of walking as a warmup and cooldown.
3. when you start your last running segment, do about ten seconds of a hard sprint before you go back to jogging. Feels good, man.

User avatar
MoogleDee
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by MoogleDee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:26 pm

W6D1 finished. I can't wait to go back to constant running without the walking breaks ._.

On a sad note, my MP3 player is bork. At one point when fumbling the damn thing out of my pocket, it fell and the headphone plug bent something inside the player so now whenever the plug is fully inserted, I only hear what sounds like the rear channel of the music. When I pull the plug out to just before it clicks into place, I can hear everything fine. I've tried fiddling and poking around but to no avail. Sad day.
Image
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."

User avatar
gRaViJa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by gRaViJa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 pm

I always listen to music, except while i run. For some reason i don't like music while running. Weird.

My 5k session today went okay given the circumstances. I don't feel 100% (slight cold) you immediately feel it while running. Today i ran with a more experienced friend for the first time. It wasn't easy, but i was able to follow her. From now on we'll go run once a week together and i'm gonna try to run faster then her soon :D
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25

User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Megumeru » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:22 pm

gRaViJa wrote:I always listen to music, except while i run. For some reason i don't like music while running. Weird.

My 5k session today went okay given the circumstances. I don't feel 100% (slight cold) you immediately feel it while running. Today i ran with a more experienced friend for the first time. It wasn't easy, but i was able to follow her. From now on we'll go run once a week together and i'm gonna try to run faster then her soon :D
I smell an Emi-like event brewing here 8)
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

User avatar
NoOne3
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by NoOne3 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:00 pm

HD23 wrote: I'm curious what speed everyone considers walking and running to be. I was using a treadmill, and I ran at 6mph and walked at 2 mph.
The one I manage I consider a proper pace.

Walking is just not standing still, but keeping some tempo while walking is easy, you recover anyway. As for running, I usually start somewhat faster (not much), it seems to let me mobilize for the running part, and then I try to find a steady pace and breath to the rhytm (two steps for breathe in, then two for out), and the harder it gets, the slower I run, unless I feel some strenght left before the very end, then I try to use it all out. I know the songs I run to, so I try to use it at the last verse.
Running is for me every pace which mean there are both feet in the air for a second (kinda opposite to definition of walking for sport walkers).

Establishing exact speed, or checking the heart rate is hard if instead of a proper threadmill all you have at your disposal is pretty low tech forest path.
gRaViJa wrote:From now on we'll go run once a week together and i'm gonna try to run faster then her soon :D
Don't let it gnaw on your masculine pride (a.k.a. balls) that she's better at it than you. Don't change it into unhealthy kind of rivalry.
MoogleDee wrote:On a sad note, my MP3 player is bork.
From the sound of it you might have broken the socket. What model and made is it? There is a slight chance it's still salvagable, trawl the net. And anyway, if you consider it utterly bricked there is no harm in disasembling the thing, and checking what's inside.
If it's only the socket, you might ask around unbranded (as in not connected with a certain manufacturer) cellphone-repair places. Those guys can sometimes save you money with their tiny soldering irons.
Edit: Plus I learned a new word, thanks.

And BTW my own update: I ran for the first time after my knees went for vacation. I even felt eager to do it (like I was missing something last week), I might be developing a healthy habit there. First one in my life maybe.
Instead of proper running shoes I used a pair of sneakers (the kind being a base of half the chinese economy), and it worked unexpectedly good. Instead of relying on shock absorbing soles, I let my feet work a bit. Knees didn't mind. I'll try to keep at it this week, and see what's gonna happen.

User avatar
gRaViJa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by gRaViJa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Megumeru wrote:
gRaViJa wrote:I always listen to music, except while i run. For some reason i don't like music while running. Weird.

My 5k session today went okay given the circumstances. I don't feel 100% (slight cold) you immediately feel it while running. Today i ran with a more experienced friend for the first time. It wasn't easy, but i was able to follow her. From now on we'll go run once a week together and i'm gonna try to run faster then her soon :D
I smell an Emi-like event brewing here 8)
Naah, not gonna happen. i know her for at least 6 years now and she has a boyfriend for a pretty long while now and he's a good guy to her as well, so.

@ NoOne3: I'm not the kind of person who'll overdo anything. Probably my genetic laziness kicking in :p And keep it up! Look like you're creating a healthy habit indeed :)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25

User avatar
NoOne3
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by NoOne3 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:50 pm

I think he might have meant you going down on the track, and being hauled to the Nurse.

User avatar
gRaViJa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by gRaViJa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:03 pm

I thought he was referring to lemons or storage sheds =|
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25

User avatar
MoogleDee
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by MoogleDee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 pm

@NoOne3 - Yeah, it's just the socket that's dead. It's an old Creative ZEN that you can't find for sale anymore. There's no screws to take it apart so I can't really get into it without Hulk-smashing it open. From what I can see, there's two pieces of metal that transmit sound to the plug, the upper one is fine; I've bent that out of shape before and bent it back. The lower one is the one that's bent too far in. It still plays music, it's just that it sounds more like background noise. It's not a bad thing though so I think I'll continue to roll with it. Also, yay for borkborkbork.

@gRaViJa - Awesome, nice job on finding a running partner!
Image
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."

User avatar
Tempester
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Tempester » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:05 am

HD23 wrote:Holy crap D1W1 kicked my buttock. Probably cause I did it wrong. Instead of doing 1 run and 1.5 walk I did 1.5 run and 1 walk, as I did not have my chart where I was running and I was going on memory. Actually, what I did seems a lot more like a slightly harder version of week 2, since I gave up after 6 iterations (which is actually more running than D1W1 should be).
If your body is healthy and slender enough, Week 2 is actually a good start. I personally started my running plan with Week 2.
gRaViJa wrote:I always listen to music, except while i run. For some reason i don't like music while running. Weird.
Same here, and I'm a bit of a music geek. I like being able to hear and pace my own breathing, and the sounds of the birds and trees are nice.
gRaViJa wrote:My 5k session today went okay given the circumstances. I don't feel 100% (slight cold) you immediately feel it while running. Today i ran with a more experienced friend for the first time. It wasn't easy, but i was able to follow her. From now on we'll go run once a week together and i'm gonna try to run faster then her soon :D
You're quite lucky to have a running partner. I just do it all by myself.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.

User avatar
NoOne3
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by NoOne3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:54 am

MoogleDee wrote:There's no screws to take it apart so I can't really get into it without Hulk-smashing it open.
It's always better to channel the force. It's probably just snap-locked somehow, like this one here.
Still, if it's working in a way you can deal with, there's no must.
Tempester wrote: I just do it all by myself.
You're not all by yourself, Bro.
Image

User avatar
ook
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:17 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by ook » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:19 pm

mmm, today (week 6 day 2) was the first day I don't really feel like I completed the workout. I only ended up running 1 mile and then stopping. Looking back, I think I forgot to drink enough water beforehand. And it was so windy that the wind was blowing my pants down. :oops: :lol:

I'll probably repeat this day next time. Maybe I need to buy some new pants.

NoOne3 wrote: You're not all by yourself, Bro.
And this is true

Post Reply