Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

NoOne3

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by NoOne3 »

Guess I won't be the one to uncover The Great Calories Conspiracy. It's basically the same rotten, addictive stuff anywhere in the world. But some differences still occurs. Like no sodium in european Coke (checked different flavours even).

Anyway, I've just run week 3, and I'm still alive. I guess changing the music helped a little. Last time I had some sad song with limp rhytm. Today I found out, that Ride of the Valkiries has about 3 min. Man, I almost smelled the napalm burning!
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Does anyone else have exercise-induced asthma due to winter air?
I feel like I have to cough my lungs out :(
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

The cold air this morning felt kinda nice during my run today. When I was finished, my arms felt really cold but there wasn't any goosebumps. In the shower though, when the hot water hit my arms it felt warm and cold at the same time, it was weird. Note to self: bring a hoodie next time on morning run.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Just did my first evening run, and the cold air was nice, made me run better. But it's a good idea to wear a hoodie. I just started week 4 and i ran 8m, walked 2m, ran 8m. I could have ran 20 minutes straight but my shin hurted and i didn't want to overdo it. This saturday i'll go for the full 20 minute run! If someone said that i'd do that 4 weeks ago, i would have laughed at them! Thanks Emi!
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
urishima

Post by urishima »

Guys, don't make the mistake to think that you can go out lighty dressed during your workouts. You'll easily catch a cold or worse (pneumonia, anyone?).

I wear tracksuit pants, a shirt and over that my tracksuit top (very warm). Back when it was like 15 below zero in the morning I would wear one long sleeved shirt and a t-shirt under that and my tracksuit top over that.
I also still put on my scarf, gloves and a woollen hat.

Will stay like that until it gets significantly warmer.
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Well, I am dressed warm, maybe even too warm, but I don't want to get pneumonia again, once was enough. Still, that doesn't help about breathing cold, dry air with the mouth, and I am too fat to breathe through the nose on an ascent (living in the mountains doesn't help).
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

urishima wrote:Guys, don't make the mistake to think that you can go out lighty dressed during your workouts.
I hope nobody from Australia will take your advice. Remember that every one of us has it's own weather.
As for the northern hemisphere, and temperate zone You're 100% right. I already bragged about my thermal undies, they really help. And I guess the rule is many layers, and breathing materials.
MoogleDee wrote: In the shower though, when the hot water hit my arms it felt warm and cold at the same time, it was weird.
We'll never know how close you might have been to a first degree frostbite.

Anyway, there's funny thing about weather and temperature perception.
I lived in Ireland for a year, before getting back to my own, more continental climate, and noticed something strange. When autumn came, and temperatures dropped,while still hanging about 10-15 deg C, I started getting cold, while the locals didn't. I was already checking the stores, walking around in a flap-hat looking for a pair of longjohns, and passing on the streets some men in t-shirts, and girls with their bellies showing. Then when the winter really struck with snowfall and all (for a few days only, mind you) everyone started complaining about the blistering cold of-3. Not mentioning the traffic stopped almost completely under the heavy cover of 5cm of snow. I must admit I felt a little better then :P
urishima

Post by urishima »

urishima wrote:Guys, don't make the mistake to think that you can go out lighty dressed during your workouts.
I hope nobody from Australia will take your advice. Remember that every one of us has it's own weather.
[/quote]
Touché
NoOne3 wrote: As for the northern hemisphere, and temperate zone You're 100% right. I already bragged about my thermal undies, they really help. And I guess the rule is many layers, and breathing materials.
Runners are like onions :mrgreen:

I still have my long underpants from my time in the Bundeswehr. I remember during field exercise in Wildflecken we had a big Base set up and I was in the guard platoon. It was in the middle of winter, we were knee deep in snow and the only gear I needed to fend of the cold were my long undies and the flak-vest. Didn't even need the padded pants and stuff, that's how good those long underpants are :D
The only part of me freezing were my feet. Seriously, they need some proper winter-boots.
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

urishima wrote:I remember during field exercise in Wildflecken we had a big Base set up and I was in the guard platoon. It was in the middle of winter, we were knee deep in snow and the only gear I needed to fend of the cold were my long undies and the flak-vest.
"I had just a penknife and a bottle of hooch." :D
Anyway, as I said before: Thermal undies FTW.
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Money is a factor for me when picking workout patterns, so I'll be doing a lot of bodyweight stuff (need to put a pull-up bar in somewhere). I'm also thinking about getting myself a big old tire and a 16lb sledgehammer and adding that to my routine. My legs are already absurdly strong even for someone of my size, so what I really have to work on is my upper core and arms.

Between that and skating out or playing goalie 3 or 4 nights a week, keeping fit shouldn't be an issue. The real struggle will be portion control as my activity level increases further.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
Synthus

Post by Synthus »

You could check out the bodyweight exercise progression I posted a couple of pages back. If you're up to it, try jumping pistols.

A pullup bar and gymnastic rings will carry you a long way if you're sufficiently motivated. Throw in a weight vest or two for even more mileage. Ross Enamait has a lot of great demonstration videos and articles for homemade exercise equipment and routines, though bear in mind that they tend to be more focused on combat sports. His books are sheer quality too, I'd strongly recommend Never Gymless at the least. Other titles that I've found that'd be useful for your purposes are Building the Gymnastic Body and You Are Your Own Gym. For sheer motivation, check this lot. How's that for ghetto solutions? :wink:

The sledge and tyre will be great for conditioning and learning to generate power, but remember you can also do tyre flips for a whole-body workout.

Hope I've helped.
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Just tried the pistols. I can do regular pistol squats fine, whenever I add the jump I fall on my can though, need to work on balance. I'm not looking to turn into a 235lb muscled-out dude. I like being at about 200 and feel comfortable there. I'm just looking to exchange the 15 or so lbs of fat I'm carrying around for more muscle mass.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

dunkelfalke wrote:Does anyone else have exercise-induced asthma due to winter air?
I feel like I have to cough my lungs out :(
Yea I have the same kind of triggers for my asthma. Yea it's normal. Personally I take breaks, small minute to minute and a half breaks to catch my breath/drink some water.

Basically your lungs (like mine) are hypersensitive and get irritated by the cold air, causing them to become inflamed tightening the muscles around the bronchial tubes to narrow.

This PDF and this LINK provide some nice information on the matter and good tips to keep in mind.
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Thanks. Had asthma 4 years ago for a few months but since that only after a hard workout session
Synthus

Post by Synthus »

Thrasher Thetic wrote:Just tried the pistols. I can do regular pistol squats fine, whenever I add the jump I fall on my can though, need to work on balance. I'm not looking to turn into a 235lb muscled-out dude. I like being at about 200 and feel comfortable there. I'm just looking to exchange the 15 or so lbs of fat I'm carrying around for more muscle mass.
Gymnastic and combat sport routines won't cause immense muscle hypertrophy. It's especially undesirable for the latter because of the existence of weight classes.

EDIT: Also, you do realise how hard bodybuilders and the like have to work for their hypertrophy, don't you? Saying that you don't want to do strength training because you're afraid of gaining loads of muscle is like saying that you don't want to earn money because you don't wish to become rich by accident. :?
Last edited by Synthus on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.