Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

NoOne3

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by NoOne3 »

Number 905 wrote:I just got done with day one of that couch to 5k plan that was posted earlier in the thread.

I'm exhausted.
If you ran today, you can expect muscle ache tommorow (especially if you're straight from the couch, as I am), and a crisis during the next running. After that it's gonna be easier, so keep up the good work..
zanger

Post by zanger »

NoOne3 wrote:If you ran today, you can expect muscle ache tommorow (especially if you're straight from the couch, as I am), and a crisis during the next running. After that it's gonna be easier, so keep up the good work..
That's kind of weird, I've never experienced muscle soreness after running for the first time in a long while (did track for 4 years in high school and I never ran in the offseason and nothing ever happened to me; I would also randomly decide to start running again throughout college and beyond and I also never got muscle aches). I don't think you should be getting muscle ache, that occurs due to lactic acid buildup in anaerobic muscles and running is a cardiovascular exercise that uses your aerobic muscles. Were you running in a hilly area? because you should really try to keep to flat surfaces if you're just starting out.

Also, building stamina is nice, but building muscle is also easy and you don't need fancy weight equipment or a gym membership. I just started on the one hundred pushup goal workout plan after being a lazy fatass for three years and it's amazing what it does for your upper body even after just two weeks.

www.hundredpushups.com

They also have plans written out for squats (200 goal), situps (200 goal) and dips (also 200 goal).
the world would be a different place without you or me but who else would realize it?
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

"Straight from the couch" is a key factor here, I guess.
If you keep yourself in some minimal fitness, it could not be the case, but remember that some of us put a pair of sweatpants just after finishing Emi's route, so it's kind of a crash-course of not sitting on yo' ass for some.
Like me.
We need "couch to 100 pushups" poster with Rin now. Oh... wait...

Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

zanger wrote:I don't think you should be getting muscle ache, that occurs due to lactic acid buildup in anaerobic muscles and running is a cardiovascular exercise that uses your aerobic muscles.
That's seventies science. Current knowledge states that DOMS occures due to small fissures in the muscle tissue.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
The Local Hentai

Post by The Local Hentai »

I started running because I want to get ripped so I can go as fundoshi Jin Saotome from MarvelvsCapcom for an anime convention that's supposed to happen in a few months. After going through emi's arc though, it solidified my desire to run more often because I fucking hate her. Music is usually my companion during my runs, but imagining Emi's face... just makes me want to run more... out of pure anger. Whenever I do it feels like there's an end goal somewhere where she's standing there with her face held out, begging a swift jump spin hook kick to the side or a superman punch to it. So yeah, I'm fairly inspired.

Oh and running should be done every other day, just like any kind of workout. Stretching is very important. Remember to warm your body up (by doing jumping jacks and rapid movements) before doing stretches. Always do dynamic stretching BEFORE your run and static stretches AFTER. Land with the balls of your feet when you run, this will allow you to run much longer since there's less impact. Don't use too much movement, your feet should be landing below you while you are stepping down, inefficient running will only cut your energy short which is quite demoralizing.

I loved her. She broke my heart.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

This thread is totally awesome.

I walk quite a lot, and am thin with a decent amount of muscle mass, but my stamina is terrible and I don't do any short-sharp-shock type activities (tennis, football etc, as opposed to walking which is different IMHO).

After reading the Emi arc, I was inspired to start doing some running, but never thought that anyone else out there would be inspired as well.

As I say, my stamina is terrible. I haven't done any real stamina-strengthening activities regularly for a couple of years or more, so when I first started running I felt like my legs were gonna drop off, but I've made sure that I've gone out EVERY DAY since starting (maybe 3 weeks ago?) and although I don't go out for very long each day, I think it's really important for me to go out every day to get/keep a routine going - after all, if I don't go out today for a good excuse, it means I might not go out tomorrow for a bad excuse. And like they say, it's really easy to do, but that also makes it really easy not to do.

Also, the picture of Emi's workout routine on page 1 is awesome. Have saved, and intend to modify my workout for it. At the moment though, I'm having trouble walking 3 mins, running 5 mins, walking 3 mins, end though. Still some way to go methinks.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Maakasu_Taihaku

Post by Maakasu_Taihaku »

At first i got to fix my sleeping habit lol

............man i wish people didn't need to sleep, oh well.
i am working on it though. Cause if i can't fix my sleep habit i won't get up at 5am, im usualy awake at the time Wahahahah~!
Hanako....can't stop thinking about her.....
Maakasu_Taihaku

Hmmm i just thought....maybe i should start slow, walking everyday, i got dogs to walk after all, my one dog is on the chubby side haha could do her good, aswell as my self

wahahahah
ForLackofaBetterName

Post by ForLackofaBetterName »

Maakasu_Taihaku wrote:At first i got to fix my sleeping habit lol

i am working on it though. Cause if i can't fix my sleep habit i won't get up at 5am, im usualy awake at the time Wahahahah~!
Read on, my friend:
http://www.highexistence.com/alternate-sleep-cycles/

I haven't tried any of these personally, since my lifestyle doesn't allow it, but I have heard it does work when you get used to it (and after the jarring initial zombie period.)
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Maakasu_Taihaku

ForLackofaBetterName wrote:
Maakasu_Taihaku wrote:At first i got to fix my sleeping habit lol

Read on, my friend:

I haven't tried any of these personally, since my lifestyle doesn't allow it, but I have heard it does work when you get used to it (and after the jarring initial zombie period.)

okay i'll try and take a look
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

I fixed my sleeping cycle (was going to bed at noon years ago when I was a student) with one week melatonin course.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Maakasu_Taihaku

Walking though could be a start to running. i just feel weird for some reason when i do stuff alone, walking biking running and etc

like Emi said its good for you to have someone to depend on and have them depending on you
urishima

Post by urishima »

ForLackofaBetterName wrote: Read on, my friend:

Oh, you fancy people and your fancy sleeping.
I don't need no fancy sleeping cycles, all I need to get is around 7 hours of sleep and I am a functioning individual with enough freetime to entertain myself.
As we IT folks say: If it aint broken, don't fix it!
Plus, sleeping is awesome!
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako
Maakasu_Taihaku

urishima wrote:
ForLackofaBetterName wrote: Read on, my friend:

Oh, you fancy people and your fancy sleeping.
I don't need no fancy sleeping cycles, all I need to get is around 7 hours of sleep and I am a functioning individual with enough freetime to entertain myself.
As we IT folks say: If it aint broken, don't fix it!
Plus, sleeping is awesome!

Ya but i never usualy even get 5hrs of sleep, and sleep is awesome... but i wish i didn't need it
urishima

Post by urishima »

Maakasu_Taihaku wrote: Ya but i never usualy even get 5hrs of sleep, and sleep is awesome... but i wish i didn't need it
Oh, I couldn't live with 5 hours of sleep. I mean I can pull it of for one day but if I don't get more sleep the next night then you might as well just put me in the broom closet for 8 hours at work. No coffeeshop can brew enough coffee to keep me going on days like these.
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako