Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Hoitash
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Holy Terra
Contact:

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Hoitash » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Charmant wrote:
This is why I scrapped Emi's 'running' thing and went with a general exercise routine. I can do that fine indoors. Plus there are no proper running tracks outside of schools and running on concrete is seriously bad for the shins and knees.
I have accepted that I'll probably need knee replacement surgery.

I don't like it, but I've accepted it.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8

User avatar
Charmant
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Charmant » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Hoitash wrote:
Charmant wrote:
This is why I scrapped Emi's 'running' thing and went with a general exercise routine. I can do that fine indoors. Plus there are no proper running tracks outside of schools and running on concrete is seriously bad for the shins and knees.
I have accepted that I'll probably need knee replacement surgery.

I don't like it, but I've accepted it.
My knees are fucked up enough from natural defects, don't need to be wrecking them on the concrete too. :lol:
Worked out a month-long routine to replace the running though. Just started it off a little too intense so it needed adjustment.

UdongeEX
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:24 am

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by UdongeEX » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:34 am

I have followed Emi's running recently and just finish my week 4 atm, gonna start week 5 at tomorrow. I want to ask some questions that is what will all of you do in the others 3 days without running ? As for me I just go to Gym and walk for 30 mins though. Is it fine ? :D

User avatar
HereticNine
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by HereticNine » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:54 pm

UdongeEX wrote:I have followed Emi's running recently and just finish my week 4 atm, gonna start week 5 at tomorrow. I want to ask some questions that is what will all of you do in the others 3 days without running ? As for me I just go to Gym and walk for 30 mins though. Is it fine ? :D
Week 3 here. I do weight trainings 4 days a week, and I do only 2 days of cardio. I cut down 1 day as I'm looking to gain weight, not lose and thus I need to burn less calories and there don't have to eat as much. Sunday and Wednesdays are my good days to run, as my leg day for weight training is on Friday.

And as for what you currently do. Look to your goal(s). Is 30 minutes of walking in your other days helping you achieve them? (i.e. losing weight, just filling daily exercise) If your answer is yes, than it is fine :P

UdongeEX
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:24 am

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by UdongeEX » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:02 am

HereticNine wrote:
UdongeEX wrote:I have followed Emi's running recently and just finish my week 4 atm, gonna start week 5 at tomorrow. I want to ask some questions that is what will all of you do in the others 3 days without running ? As for me I just go to Gym and walk for 30 mins though. Is it fine ? :D
Week 3 here. I do weight trainings 4 days a week, and I do only 2 days of cardio. I cut down 1 day as I'm looking to gain weight, not lose and thus I need to burn less calories and there don't have to eat as much. Sunday and Wednesdays are my good days to run, as my leg day for weight training is on Friday.

And as for what you currently do. Look to your goal(s). Is 30 minutes of walking in your other days helping you achieve them? (i.e. losing weight, just filling daily exercise) If your answer is yes, than it is fine :P
Thanks for your answer :D

User avatar
Charmant
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Charmant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:39 pm

UdongeEX wrote:I have followed Emi's running recently and just finish my week 4 atm, gonna start week 5 at tomorrow. I want to ask some questions that is what will all of you do in the others 3 days without running ? As for me I just go to Gym and walk for 30 mins though. Is it fine ? :D
Well, I don't follow the Emi running chart exactly (as noted above) but I just take a break outright on Wednesday.

Gary
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Gary » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:46 pm

It's funny, I started in 2012 with running through this topic (my old accounts(!) are buried somewhere in this thread) and I'm still going strong, though I've not been using the Emi guides for a long time now (10k has been achieved :) ). Hows everyone's progress at the moment?
Last edited by Gary on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be A King"


User avatar
Gravy
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:36 pm
Location: Good ol' Kansas

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Gravy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Well, After reading (literally) all 180 pages, I decided why not. Gonna through this thing as well. KS really can be inspirational yea?
Hopefully things go well and I dont strain myself. I was a big runner back in high school but now that I went to a alternative, I almost never run anymore. Laziness and others caught up heh.

So best of luck to myself!
My name may be "Gravy", but that doesn't mean I like gravy.
I have Narcolepsy.

Favorites in order: Rin, Suzu, Emi, Lilly, Hanako,Mishaha!, Shizune
Image
Image

User avatar
HereticNine
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by HereticNine » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:11 am

Gravy wrote:Well, After reading (literally) all 180 pages, I decided why not. Gonna through this thing as well. KS really can be inspirational yea?
Hopefully things go well and I dont strain myself. I was a big runner back in high school but now that I went to a alternative, I almost never run anymore. Laziness and others caught up heh.

So best of luck to myself!
If youre a dude, do some weight lifting. If youre a girl, do weight lifting anyways its even better for you ^.^

Gary
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Gary » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:17 pm

Gravy wrote:Well, After reading (literally) all 180 pages, I decided why not. Gonna through this thing as well. KS really can be inspirational yea?
Hopefully things go well and I dont strain myself. I was a big runner back in high school but now that I went to a alternative, I almost never run anymore. Laziness and others caught up heh.

So best of luck to myself!
Have you already started? Do you use the Emi running guide or will you make up your own running schedule?

Good luck btw :P
"Be A King"


User avatar
Black Knight
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Black Knight » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:20 pm

HereticNine wrote:If youre a dude, do some weight lifting. If youre a girl, do weight lifting anyways its even better for you ^.^
Agreed. I don't know where this idea came from that frequent jogging is somehow fantastic for your health. It always amazes me when I meet these marathon-addict types who have the physiques of Auschwitz escapees but are still somehow convinced that they represent the peak of physical fitness. I suppose endless cardio is moderately superior to sitting on your ass eating chips all day, but I wouldn't call it even close to optimal, neither in the amount of time you have to invest in your workouts nor in the end effect they have on your physical development.

My "cardio" consists entirely of HIIT variations once or twice a week, and none of these sessions last longer than 15 minutes. The rest of my time I invest in moving heavy weight.

I wish more women would lift weight, especially. It's seriously the best method of combating post-menopausal osteoporosis known to humankind, and I'm unable to think of any possible disadvantage there could be in simply being physically stronger in your everyday life. I think a lot of women are afraid that they'll get "bulky" or something ridiculous, which is practically impossible since they're not swimming in testosterone. Women who lift get lean and toned, they don't magically transform into Arnold with tits. Plus when they do put on extra mass, it's in all the right places, because I've never met a chick who could squat serious weight who didn't have an amazing ass.

User avatar
HereticNine
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by HereticNine » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:20 am

Black Knight wrote:
HereticNine wrote:If youre a dude, do some weight lifting. If youre a girl, do weight lifting anyways its even better for you ^.^
Agreed. I don't know where this idea came from that frequent jogging is somehow fantastic for your health. It always amazes me when I meet these marathon-addict types who have the physiques of Auschwitz escapees but are still somehow convinced that they represent the peak of physical fitness. I suppose endless cardio is moderately superior to sitting on your ass eating chips all day, but I wouldn't call it even close to optimal, neither in the amount of time you have to invest in your workouts nor in the end effect they have on your physical development.

My "cardio" consists entirely of HIIT variations once or twice a week, and none of these sessions last longer than 15 minutes. The rest of my time I invest in moving heavy weight.

I wish more women would lift weight, especially. It's seriously the best method of combating post-menopausal osteoporosis known to humankind, and I'm unable to think of any possible disadvantage there could be in simply being physically stronger in your everyday life. I think a lot of women are afraid that they'll get "bulky" or something ridiculous, which is practically impossible since they're not swimming in testosterone. Women who lift get lean and toned, they don't magically transform into Arnold with tits. Plus when they do put on extra mass, it's in all the right places, because I've never met a chick who could squat serious weight who didn't have an amazing ass.
Running improves type 1 muscle fibers, which are the slow-twitch fiber capable of resisting fatigue. These muscle fibers aren't as big as type 2a and 2b, which are for explosive motions and are the fast-twitch fibers.

However, lifting isn't for everyone. Biggest factor is time. Others have school, job(s), a family to care for and hobbies that it makes it difficult to find time to drive to a gym and lift. But I'm lovin' the praise for weight trainning. What you say is true. It's definitely great for women to do it too.

User avatar
Gravy
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:36 pm
Location: Good ol' Kansas

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Gravy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:23 pm

Gary wrote: Have you already started? Do you use the Emi running guide or will you make up your own running schedule?
Good luck btw :P
I actually started yesterday on Labor Day cause it just made it sound much better in my head. It went more smoothly than I thought it would.. at first. I began my jog and it felt much like how you turn on an old computer and kinda get your memories back with the thing, And as the old computer would be not the greatest thing.. I wasn't either. had trouble at the end and was panting more than a dog that likes to chase its tail. I've been doing a mix of the Emi schedule and my own. Since my city is only 8 miles long, It isn't a big jogging place but its still good!
HetricNine wrote: If youre a dude, do some weight lifting. If youre a girl, do weight lifting anyways its even better for you ^.^
Looks like either gender, lifting is good. And I have. I lift many boxes and work on fixing/building homes so upper strength is good. So I dunno if that already counts or not ^^; But I will take any advice and I'll begin to lift weights as well.
My name may be "Gravy", but that doesn't mean I like gravy.
I have Narcolepsy.

Favorites in order: Rin, Suzu, Emi, Lilly, Hanako,Mishaha!, Shizune
Image
Image

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by SpunkySix » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Black Knight wrote:I don't know where this idea came from that frequent jogging is somehow fantastic for your health. It always amazes me when I meet these marathon-addict types who have the physiques of Auschwitz escapees but are still somehow convinced that they represent the peak of physical fitness.
Eh... if they're running regularly and they look like that, then they're probably doing something wrong, likely in their diets. Running is fantastic for your core and leg strength, among other things. Lifting should be used to supplement it for the best results, but it's not necessary for being very healthy.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Black Knight
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Black Knight » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:44 pm

HereticNine wrote:However, lifting isn't for everyone. Biggest factor is time. Others have school, job(s), a family to care for and hobbies that it makes it difficult to find time to drive to a gym and lift. But I'm lovin' the praise for weight trainning. What you say is true. It's definitely great for women to do it too.
Good point. I actually forgot about the inconvenience for most people, since about 6 months ago I put up the money to purchase my own power rack and barbell set, which I stuck in the garage. No more changing into gym clothes, driving to the gym, waiting for people to finish up with the equipment, driving back, etc etc. I can literally get home from work, squeeze in a killer workout and go collapse on the couch in just 30 minutes.

But for people who rely on commercial gyms, I agree that time commitment is something to consider.
SpunkySix wrote:Eh... if they're running regularly and they look like that, then they're probably doing something wrong, likely in their diets. Running is fantastic for your core and leg strength, among other things. Lifting should be used to supplement it for the best results, but it's not necessary for being very healthy.
I would recommend sprinting for most people over jogging (as long as you build up intensity gradually to avoid hurting yourself), since the benefits to leg and core strength that you mentioned are much greater with sprints than long, low intensity jogging sessions. Plus, overdoing cardio-type stuff (e.g. jogging for >45 min every single day) may possibly promote an unhealthy hormonal profile, especially by chronically elevating cortisol, which can ironically cause people to put on weight despite the fact that they're running more and more.

I agree that weightlifting isn't necessary for good health, but I think upper-body exercises of some sort are good for everyone. Even if just a basic program of push ups, pull ups and perhaps handstand push ups.

Post Reply