Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by SpunkySix » Wed May 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Hoitash wrote:I've found J-pop useful, too, oddly enough.
The Black Rock Shooter theme is the best thing.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
wazuzu
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by wazuzu » Wed May 28, 2014 1:08 pm

Hoitash wrote:I've had success with power metal and hard rock, but maybe that's just me.

I've found J-pop useful, too, oddly enough.
This. As much as I dislike the genre, rhythm is mostly basic enough to run without problems. The aural satisfaction is entirely different thing.

User avatar
AaronIsCrunchy
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Portsmouth, floating.

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by AaronIsCrunchy » Wed May 28, 2014 1:13 pm

wazuzu wrote:
Hoitash wrote:I've had success with power metal and hard rock, but maybe that's just me.

I've found J-pop useful, too, oddly enough.
This. As much as I dislike the genre, rhythm is mostly basic enough to run without problems. The aural satisfaction is entirely different thing.
Haha, this is pretty much my experience of J-Pop, though I've not heard much! Power metal can be quite good, and I admit Sabaton is definitely on my running list.
Amon Amarth = best running music. NOTHING gets you pumped like Norse tales shouted by the god of thunder himself :L
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.


User avatar
Forever_ambivalent
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Forever_ambivalent » Wed May 28, 2014 2:26 pm

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:Yea I don't think I would listen to stanchinsky (romantic era musician). There is a reason I specified the music eras to Baroque and Classical. Romance era music can be confusing and crazy. 20th century music is a mixed bag though. Largely full of crazy pieces that play with sounds marvelously but they also have a lot of music that is dedicated to certain time periods.
I have a few pieces in mind but does anybody know any good (20th-21st century) classical pieces? I'm fine with any good pieces done on an instrument so it can even be game music/film music/programme music. I would be happy with anything with a constant beat that isn't over-complicated that is played on an actual instrument. I already have a list of classical music for running but I wouldn't mind having a few modern gems included. I would appreciate it if there isn't a violin in any piece though. Those tend to really hurt my ears when they go for the higher notes and are generally uncomfortable. I will bear it though if I think the piece is good enough though. Violas and Cellos all the way!
I really need to open myself up to more modern pieces of music.
Is it uncomfortable with brass as well?
I'd recommend The Planets by Holst, though there is the odd violin passage and some of the brass sections go quite high so maybe it's not suitable. I too would recommend John Williams, though the guitarist one, as much of his classical guitar work is exceptional (same as Segovia and Albeniz, to start off). Could you suggest a few pieces you like, as I'm not all that knowledgeable about the baroque period?

Haven't been running for a bit, as I managed to twinge my right calf, but I went for one today and all was fine. Need to start working towards an hour now, which is gonna be a lot more work than the half hour, I can tell :/
The trumpet can be pretty painful as well. It's mostly high pitched and loud stuff that gets on my nerves. A lot of other noises really irritate me as well. I can stand the discomfort and pain for a while (5 minutes or so) but if I listen to a violin playing for 30 minutes with many high pitched notes than I will get a headache. Same goes for other high pitched and loud instruments such as the trumpet. BTW I already know The Planets by Holst. I can listen to it quite fine (it isn't too painful or annoying) and I sort of like it anyway :lol: so all is good.
I like classical guitar as well so I'm fine with John Williams.
A few pieces I like. Well there is Partita n. 6 in E Minor by Bach and the infamous Pachelbel's canon. Bach Cello Suite No.1 in G, Bach Air on G string and Bach Partita in A minor and Bach Chaconne and..... I think you get the picture now.
Yea Bach is my favorite baroque era musician. Although in general I prefer Romantic era music the most.

User avatar
AaronIsCrunchy
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Portsmouth, floating.

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by AaronIsCrunchy » Thu May 29, 2014 11:47 am

Forever_ambivalent wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:Yea I don't think I would listen to stanchinsky (romantic era musician). There is a reason I specified the music eras to Baroque and Classical. Romance era music can be confusing and crazy. 20th century music is a mixed bag though. Largely full of crazy pieces that play with sounds marvelously but they also have a lot of music that is dedicated to certain time periods.
I have a few pieces in mind but does anybody know any good (20th-21st century) classical pieces? I'm fine with any good pieces done on an instrument so it can even be game music/film music/programme music. I would be happy with anything with a constant beat that isn't over-complicated that is played on an actual instrument. I already have a list of classical music for running but I wouldn't mind having a few modern gems included. I would appreciate it if there isn't a violin in any piece though. Those tend to really hurt my ears when they go for the higher notes and are generally uncomfortable. I will bear it though if I think the piece is good enough though. Violas and Cellos all the way!
I really need to open myself up to more modern pieces of music.
Is it uncomfortable with brass as well?
I'd recommend The Planets by Holst, though there is the odd violin passage and some of the brass sections go quite high so maybe it's not suitable. I too would recommend John Williams, though the guitarist one, as much of his classical guitar work is exceptional (same as Segovia and Albeniz, to start off). Could you suggest a few pieces you like, as I'm not all that knowledgeable about the baroque period?

Haven't been running for a bit, as I managed to twinge my right calf, but I went for one today and all was fine. Need to start working towards an hour now, which is gonna be a lot more work than the half hour, I can tell :/
The trumpet can be pretty painful as well. It's mostly high pitched and loud stuff that gets on my nerves. A lot of other noises really irritate me as well. I can stand the discomfort and pain for a while (5 minutes or so) but if I listen to a violin playing for 30 minutes with many high pitched notes than I will get a headache. Same goes for other high pitched and loud instruments such as the trumpet. BTW I already know The Planets by Holst. I can listen to it quite fine (it isn't too painful or annoying) and I sort of like it anyway :lol: so all is good.
I like classical guitar as well so I'm fine with John Williams.
A few pieces I like. Well there is Partita n. 6 in E Minor by Bach and the infamous Pachelbel's canon. Bach Cello Suite No.1 in G, Bach Air on G string and Bach Partita in A minor and Bach Chaconne and..... I think you get the picture now.
Yea Bach is my favorite baroque era musician. Although in general I prefer Romantic era music the most.
Peer Gynt by Edvard Grieg is very good, and depending on if you like opera or not there's versions of both :)
Bach eh? Might be worth a look at, I'll probably find I recognise more than I realise.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.


User avatar
SpecimenSix
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:12 am

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by SpecimenSix » Thu May 29, 2014 3:17 pm

I haven't been running seriously in awhile now, but when I used to I'd listen to Death Metal. For me anyways, rhythm isn't as important as enjoying the music and it getting me pumped up, whether that's pissed off or energetic or whatever, as I can find my own groove to run to regardless of whatever I'm listening to. I've had some really good results with Veil of Maya, among others, and they're known for their heavy breakdowns and changing up their time patterns on the fly. :lol:

In fact, since I'm off work today I think I may go for a run myself. Today feels like a good melodic death day. :P
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.

User avatar
AaronIsCrunchy
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Portsmouth, floating.

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by AaronIsCrunchy » Thu May 29, 2014 3:23 pm

SpecimenSix wrote: In fact, since I'm off work today I think I may go for a run myself. Today feels like a good melodic death day. :P
EVERY day's a good melodic death day ;)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.


User avatar
SpecimenSix
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:12 am

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by SpecimenSix » Thu May 29, 2014 3:27 pm

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
SpecimenSix wrote: In fact, since I'm off work today I think I may go for a run myself. Today feels like a good melodic death day. :P
EVERY day's a good melodic death day ;)
True true, but something about the rain and gloomy gray skies makes me think of Conducting From the Grave. :P
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by metalangel » Sat May 31, 2014 8:56 pm

Bought a new mountain bike today... bike store guy gave me $50 off a Raleigh Talus 2.0 because it was last year's model.

Took it through the park trails on the way home. The last hill out of the ravine the park runs through just about killed me. Beginning to understand why I was so much fitter in high school and university!

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by SpunkySix » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:57 am

metalangel wrote:Bought a new mountain bike today...
Aw, cool. It's been forever since I biked, now that I'm thinking of it. I learned to ride so I could bike alongside my dad while he ran when I was little because he was so much faster than me, but ever since I started running I sort of let that go. I think I might get back on sometime, I forgot how nice peddling can be.

Was it working smooth?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
AaronIsCrunchy
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Portsmouth, floating.

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by AaronIsCrunchy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:13 am

metalangel wrote:Bought a new mountain bike today... bike store guy gave me $50 off a Raleigh Talus 2.0 because it was last year's model.

Took it through the park trails on the way home. The last hill out of the ravine the park runs through just about killed me. Beginning to understand why I was so much fitter in high school and university!
Aaah, I love cycling, though my bike is an absolute crapbox due to me not oiling it :'/
You gonna use it primarily for recreation or for getting about? :)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.


User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by metalangel » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:16 am

AaronIsCrunchy wrote: Aaah, I love cycling, though my bike is an absolute crapbox due to me not oiling it :'/
You gonna use it primarily for recreation or for getting about? :)
Recreation. The streets around here are quite busy, I don't want to ride on them too much if I can help it. I used to use a bicycle to get around everywhere. Then, after finishing university, I found I was using things with their own engines: cars and motorcycles, because I had a job. So sit on my butt to get to work, so I can sit on my butt there too. Hence why so many people gain weight once they enter the workforce.

User avatar
Forever_ambivalent
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Forever_ambivalent » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:35 am

I gave up cycling when I was young. I just preferred walking.
I wish I could swim everywhere. I want there to be a swimming lane for people who want to swim to work :!: Swimming feels much better and is much more refreshing. Also requires you to use more energy which will make a lot more people healthy.
Than I could swim to school or collage or work. You can also peek at the sexy guys and gals.

User avatar
Gamera Ramen
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:46 am
Location: Land of Gold and Beaches

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Gamera Ramen » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:02 pm

I never really liked biking myself. I was never an athletic kid, and being forced to do it each time gave me a dislike for it. I still have a bike, but it's rarely used.

Went for a 15/3/15 run today. I had a lot more trouble than usual today, dunno why. I had to push myself a lot more than usual to keep going. Maybe the switch-up in music has something to do with it? Maybe it was just burning out the negativity of the past couple days? I dunno.
Hellcat wrote:Hanako as a guest appearance for Marvel Vs Capcom 4, make it happen.
TheHivemind wrote:(the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by metalangel » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15 pm

We did 30km today! A mixture of trails, roads, paths and a little bit of offroading. I hate the handgrips on the handlebars, they are roughly textured which is hard on the hands, but apart from that, the bike is cool.

That combined with the 12km we walked on Friday means I am just about ready to fall over and die.

Post Reply