Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Xanatos »

CaptPonyholder wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Gandara wrote:Glad you're making some great efforts, Xanatos! Keep at it, and keep pushing yourself, but don't push so hard that you hurt yourself. You're on the right track, and I hope things keep going that direction for you. :)
I already hurt myself. :lol: Completely quit walking afterward for the longest time. Healed up okay though. Now I've just gotta try not to injure myself running on asphalt. No suitable soft surfaces around here for exercise.
Do you have any schools with track fields? Thankfully there are about seven or eight around where I live, I plan on using the College's though as... well why not? Plus, I may meet some cuties who are out there for various sports~
There's a school and it has a field. The track is asphalt though. And it's an hour walk from my house just to get there. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

Xanatos wrote:
CaptPonyholder wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
I already hurt myself. :lol: Completely quit walking afterward for the longest time. Healed up okay though. Now I've just gotta try not to injure myself running on asphalt. No suitable soft surfaces around here for exercise.
Do you have any schools with track fields? Thankfully there are about seven or eight around where I live, I plan on using the College's though as... well why not? Plus, I may meet some cuties who are out there for various sports~
There's a school and it has a field. The track is asphalt though. And it's an hour walk from my house just to get there. :lol:
Eek! Well crap, forget that thought then!

Try some Gel Insols for your shoes. Supposedly they are quite comfy for long walks on sidewalk!
Sleeve

Post by Sleeve »

Week 5 Day 3 done. Went very well, 4.5k in 25 minutes; well on the way to my 23 minute goal.
Going to have to start extending my route so that I can still fit in the 5 min warmup/cooldown walks.
Getting much better at landing on the balls of my feet as well, in a week or so I should have the flexibility to do so 100% of the time, then I'm going to work on extending my stride length.

Going to start my strength workout tomorrow, nothing crazy just some simple dumbell based stuff, some pushups, some pullups and some crunches.
Also planning my nutrition a bit more carefully to make sure I have a steady income of protein, got a busy weekend ahead of me.
"But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing, and you were supposed to sing, or to dance, while the music was being played." - Alan Watts
nginx

Post by nginx »

Finished W7d3 today. Still far from the 5k goal, my track is about 600m long and I can only run 5-6 rounds in the 28 minutes, which makes 3 - 3.6k. Or are the 5k in miles?

I have a question to all you nutritionists! What should I eat in the afternoon, between lunch and dinner? Even if I'm hungry at noon, I can't eat enough for lunch to not get me hungry hours before dinner time. Maybe also because when I'm hungry before noon, I usually already eat between 11 and 11:30.

Until now I ate mostly sweet pastry, donuts or something like that; or I just drank 1.5l soda. But that's not what is good for me, so do you have any tipps? What do you eat in the afternoon?
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

nginx wrote:Finished W7d3 today. Still far from the 5k goal, my track is about 600m long and I can only run 5-6 rounds in the 28 minutes, which makes 3 - 3.6k. Or are the 5k in miles?

I have a question to all you nutritionists! What should I eat in the afternoon, between lunch and dinner? Even if I'm hungry at noon, I can't eat enough for lunch to not get me hungry hours before dinner time. Maybe also because when I'm hungry before noon, I usually already eat between 11 and 11:30.

Until now I ate mostly sweet pastry, donuts or something like that; or I just drank 1.5l soda. But that's not what is good for me, so do you have any tipps? What do you eat in the afternoon?
No no it's 5 kilometers.

I don't drink soda at all anymore, and I recommend to stop drinking it too. The impact is fairly small, compared to stopping eating things you like, and the results are big - soda has a lot of calories/sugar.
Sleeve

Post by Sleeve »

nginx wrote: I have a question to all you nutritionists! What should I eat in the afternoon, between lunch and dinner? Even if I'm hungry at noon, I can't eat enough for lunch to not get me hungry hours before dinner time. Maybe also because when I'm hungry before noon, I usually already eat between 11 and 11:30.

I personally go for a bowl of muesli with some fruit or I microwave some mixed frozen veg.
Based on what you've said I would recommend some fruit that you enjoy mixed in with a plain cereal, make sure it's low on sugar and fat.

The thing with sugar and fat is that alongside their other negative effects they don't fill you up as much for their calorie value as carbs and protein.
Fibre is fantastic as it is indigestible (no calories!) and yet helps fill you up, so if you can get yourself to have at least some veg that definitely helps with hunger.
Simpler, non processed food almost always tend to fit these criteria well, as well as being cheaper generally.

I highly recommend you cut any drinks with calories, that obviously includes soda but also includes things a lot of people consider healthy such as fruit juices.
The main reasons for doing so is explained here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/lose-fat-the-easy-way/

Make sure to drink lots of water, it helps fill you up as well as a whole host of other benefits.
It can be an acquired taste to some people but it is well worth it the long run, force your self to drink some with each of your meals.
It's hard to have too much but I gauge based on when my pee goes colorless.

Scooby's Workshop is generally a great resource for fitness and nutrition info. It's completely free and has great nutrition and fitness info from a pretty swell guy still fit and muscular in his 50s.
"But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing, and you were supposed to sing, or to dance, while the music was being played." - Alan Watts
notme

Post by notme »

nginx wrote:Finished W7d3 today. Still far from the 5k goal, my track is about 600m long and I can only run 5-6 rounds in the 28 minutes, which makes 3 - 3.6k. Or are the 5k in miles?

Try myfitnesspal.com, It shows cal/carbs/fats/proteins of food you eat.
Generaly try to avoid added sugars(soda)/solid fats(butter)/white bread and don't go over 2000 cal a day.
Its 14 days I'm sticking with this plan. I mostly eat some meat/pasta/rice/potatoe/eggs/milk/oat meal(every morning with milk and chocolate)/water/no alc beer/oranges/pepper/whole wheat bread, I don't even spend more money on food than before. And don't drink, max 2 drinks of alcohol a day. My belly starts to look smaller, and I feel great. Before I was trying to meet just calorie needs, but now with proper food I feel I have enough energy and more resistance for diseases. And yea It's hard to stop drinking, but maybe you can substitute with weed like me, I smoke like 2-3 times a month, It's good to have sth to relax, but alcohol is pretty harmful imo.

Try this course https://class.coursera.org/nutrition-001/class/index in 1st week theres a lot of info about right nutrition what cal/carbs/protein/fat and all that means, Its like 8 videos, one is about 10-20min and it gives you a lot of information.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

I only drink water too.
To a fairly obsessive amount though, I drink 4 liters+ of water everyday, and it makes me have to go to the bathroom constantly in the afternoons. I should start eating fruits again, ever since I moved to the capital I've been eating more and more crap and its taking its toll on my weight.
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

Couldn't go to the Gym today. Too cold to walk to the gym. Going tomorrow when it is a nice 20 degrees F to make up for it.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Enemy | wrote:I only drink water too.
To a fairly obsessive amount though, I drink 4 liters+ of water everyday, and it makes me have to go to the bathroom constantly in the afternoons. I should start eating fruits again, ever since I moved to the capital I've been eating more and more crap and its taking its toll on my weight.
Cutting out excessive sugar and fat helps alot. Don't be guilty about eating a little bit, though.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Lloonnee2

del

Post by Lloonnee2 »

del
Last edited by Lloonnee2 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeve

Post by Sleeve »

I did my first strength workout on Saturday, still feel stiff from it but it's kind of satisfying.

Week 6 day 1 this morning, easier compared to last Friday but my stiff muscles didn't help matters.
Started extending my route as well so i can still fit in the 5 min walks for warm up/cool down. I imagine i'll be doing my first full 5k on Friday :).

Main struggle this week is making sure I have a constant income of protein to help rebuild my muscles. Luckily we seem to have loads of different kinds of beans sitting around unused.
Also planning to do 20 mins of jumping rope on days I'm not running, apparently it's pretty tough so I might have to start with 10.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Snow came again. And my shin's been sore so I'm resting it a bit while the snow melts. As for protein, we've got a huge stock of shakes and such from when Julie was around.

Julie was an old woman who lived with us. She got cancer, had her colon removed, then the tumors crushed her spine and eventually got to her brain. She couldn't eat eventually so she kept all sorts of nutritional shakes around. She's cremated now though. May as well repurpose them.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
komkommer

Post by komkommer »

Started running last week after finishing the game. Went surprisingly well seeing i have been pretty inactive over the last year. However i think i might have pulled a muscle today at the start of week two, happened pretty early in the workout, so my guess is i need a better warm up. Anyone have any ideas for a good quick warm up? Perhaps i should walk a bit more before starting to run? Currently i walk a few hundred meters and stretch before i start to run, but that doesn't really get the blood flowing and i still feel cold when i actually start running.
Lloonnee2

del

Post by Lloonnee2 »

del
Last edited by Lloonnee2 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.