Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Enemy |

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Enemy | »

You can use BMI as long as you use body fat % together with it. People with lots of muscles end up getting an "overweight" on BMI, even if their body fat is low, because muscles weigh more than fat.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

BMI was originally meant as a rule of thumb, but somehow got twisted into the be-all and end-all it is in some circles. As mentioned above, use it together with body fat %.
Last edited by YZQ on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Sleeve

Post by Sleeve »

Hi everyone,

I'm an 18 year old English boy in his second year of six form college, the English equivalent to whatever high school year Hisao is in during KS. I am also a science student which kind of adds to the Hisao thing :P.
I consider myself in good health and shape, I am naturally quite skinny and have been improving my diet gradually throughout six form. I also cycle to and from college every day, 20 mins each way.

I completed all the KS routes in December, only did the good endings as they were what I naturally ended up on and I didn't feel like going back again. I didn't get any of the 'feels' as they are called here, the girls mainly just brought up happy memories of my last relationship. I enjoyed it immensely and even recommended it to a female friend of mine, who also very much enjoyed it.

After seeing this topic I decided to take up jogging using the program and set my college's 4.5k charity run in April as my goal. I still need to consider a specific goal for this as simply being able to jog the whole way is fairly simple, I'm thinking a time goal of under 25 mins is a decent enough start.

I started the "couch to 5k with emi" routine last Monday. I got up at 6, got dressed and stretched out and opened the door to find it had snowed the previous night, snow is somewhat of a rarity in my area of Britain. I of course immediately thought of delaying my run but since I was already stretched out I just went for it, I thought of it as willpower training. It really wasn't that bad, the city looked incredibly beautiful in the snow and it made a softer impact surface than the pavement. I found the week 1 schedule way too easy, it kept me warm but not much else, I made a note to skip a week for my next session. My college closed for snow for the first time in over a decade.

Wednesday is the second running day of my week, however I had an important math exam that day so I decided not to run in the morning, sleeping in instead. I used my free periods in the afternoon to cycle home for another jog in the snow before my final period, this time using the week 3 schedule. It was still too easy, I could have increased the difficulty by running faster but I didn't want to risk that in the snow and ice.

On Friday i made another skip to the week 4 routine, still not much of a challenge but it definitely was an improvement.

This morning I woke up at 5 and started the week 5 routine which gave me a good challenge, the difficulty also naturally ramps up this week so i will stick with this one.

Sorry for the long post, i'll be keeping them shorter from now on, just giving updates on my runs of Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

All the best everyone.

(Sorry for any silly grammatical or spelling mistakes, I am dyslexic)
"But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing, and you were supposed to sing, or to dance, while the music was being played." - Alan Watts
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Sleeve wrote:Hi everyone,

*snip*
Welcome, and congratulations on your rapid progress through Emi's Couch to 5k! Keep up the great work, and if you ever need any help with anything let us know. If nothing else, feel free to use this topic as a tracker for yourself, and all of us (including Emi) will be here to cheer you on!

Good on you for remaining safe in the snowy conditions. Running in the snow is quite dangerous, so be extra careful if you decide to continue doing such. If nothing else, try finding some place where you might have access to a treadmill during such conditions. It might not be much fun running in place, but it's better than hurting yourself. (I live in Wisconsin, USA, which is basically an awesome version of Canada, so I experience snowy / icy conditions 4+ months out of the year...)

P.S. - I noticed hardly any grammatical errors with your writing. No need to be self-conscious about your condition. Thankfully, unlike a lot of other communities, this one is quite accepting of all types. So long as your writing is at the very least coherent you will not find any strife here.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
Lloonnee2

del

Post by Lloonnee2 »

del
Last edited by Lloonnee2 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeve

Post by Sleeve »

Gandara wrote:
Sleeve wrote:Hi everyone,

*snip*
Welcome, and congratulations on your rapid progress...
Thanks for the warm welcome, at least to begin with I'll be updating on each of my running days (until it turns into "I went for a run this morning!"). I'm also starting strength training tomorrow so I might comment on how that goes.

Snow isn't going to be an issue anymore, rainfall on Sunday cleared what was left and more snow in my area before next winter is highly unlikely.
"But we missed the point the whole way along. It was a musical thing, and you were supposed to sing, or to dance, while the music was being played." - Alan Watts
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

Okay, lazy week starting again. I can't run on Treamills, I seem to always either run into or off of the stupid thing.

Speed-Walking on Incline Machine seems to be my best bet right now.

Finished my fourth day at the gym.
Lloonnee2

del

Post by Lloonnee2 »

del
Last edited by Lloonnee2 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeve

Post by Sleeve »

Week 5 day 2 done, it was a challenge but with a bit of pace adjustment I was fine.
Finally warm enough to not need a jacket and heavy gloves, and it's only going to get warmer.

I checked the route I've been taking on Google maps and it comes out to just below 4.5k, I manage it in around 28 minutes.
My current goal for the 4.5k charity run is 23 minutes, definitely achievable as there is still over ten weeks to go.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Been acclimating myself to daily exercise for a few weeks now with hour-long walks. General stamina is improved a lot, breathing is more controlled during exertion (still untrue of running), and the unholy lower back pain I typically suffer from walking a lot (my physical condition causes an unnatural gait that affects it) is largely a thing of the past, barring bad days. Specifically, my right side is undeveloped and somewhat shrunken due to lack of use (I can't control the muscles so well for most activities) and my weight is naturally readjusted to the left.

Did a stamina test earlier. Kept the run up for 48 seconds (though I think the timer I used is less than accurate). Walked for 1.5 minutes. Second run, 33 seconds.

This at a time when I hadn't slept the previous night and had only a can of Coca Cola to fuel me which is far from ordinary conditions. Plus the air was moist and a bit too humid. Will run another test under more typical circumstances another day.

Will spend the next few days readjusting my sleep cycle (it gets regularly derailed) then start on Week Zero on Sunday. (Note: I invented week zero to more easily condition my fat sack of a self for week one. 30 seconds running, 30 walking. 20 minutes total.)
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

Fourth Day, Second Week. Going well so far! I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA if I have lost any weight yet, nor do I notice any change in size in my overall body. I assume it will take a month or two to see a visual change, if any. Oh well~
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

CaptPonyholder wrote:I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA if I have lost any weight yet, nor do I notice any change in size in my overall body.
Yeah, you won't notice changes right away. In fact, you will be hard-pressed to REALLY notice changes ever, at least psychologically. Personally, I've lost 50 lbs. since my heaviest and when I look at myself in the mirror I still look as fat as I've ever looked in my own eyes. However, dropping from 4x to 2x shirts and pant size from 46 to 42, combined with my ever-tightening belt - these things don't lie. Also, a lot of folks have been saying I'm looking thinner.

It's the rough thing about losing weight. It's hard to notice it yourself unless it's really dramatic, and even then your brain will be like, "Nope."
Xanatos wrote:Been acclimating myself to daily exercise for a few weeks now with hour-long walks.
Glad you're making some great efforts, Xanatos! Keep at it, and keep pushing yourself, but don't push so hard that you hurt yourself. You're on the right track, and I hope things keep going that direction for you. :)
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

Gandara wrote:
CaptPonyholder wrote:I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA if I have lost any weight yet, nor do I notice any change in size in my overall body.
Yeah, you won't notice changes right away. In fact, you will be hard-pressed to REALLY notice changes ever, at least psychologically. Personally, I've lost 50 lbs. since my heaviest and when I look at myself in the mirror I still look as fat as I've ever looked in my own eyes. However, dropping from 4x to 2x shirts and pant size from 46 to 42, combined with my ever-tightening belt - these things don't lie. Also, a lot of folks have been saying I'm looking thinner.

It's the rough thing about losing weight. It's hard to notice it yourself unless it's really dramatic, and even then your brain will be like, "Nope."
Yea, as your brain registers you as the same back every day. Unless you use pictures, I don't think I would look much different, unless I suddenly got toned over night.

Also my calves are killing me, I am worried that they will grow 10 times in size before I lose my fat T-T
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Gandara wrote:Glad you're making some great efforts, Xanatos! Keep at it, and keep pushing yourself, but don't push so hard that you hurt yourself. You're on the right track, and I hope things keep going that direction for you. :)
I already hurt myself. :lol: Completely quit walking afterward for the longest time. Healed up okay though. Now I've just gotta try not to injure myself running on asphalt. No suitable soft surfaces around here for exercise.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

Xanatos wrote:
Gandara wrote:Glad you're making some great efforts, Xanatos! Keep at it, and keep pushing yourself, but don't push so hard that you hurt yourself. You're on the right track, and I hope things keep going that direction for you. :)
I already hurt myself. :lol: Completely quit walking afterward for the longest time. Healed up okay though. Now I've just gotta try not to injure myself running on asphalt. No suitable soft surfaces around here for exercise.
Do you have any schools with track fields? Thankfully there are about seven or eight around where I live, I plan on using the College's though as... well why not? Plus, I may meet some cuties who are out there for various sports~