Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dunkelfalke

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by dunkelfalke »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:I don't like protein shakes much myself, but that's a bit extreme...
Well, that kind of cheese is almost bearable if you put it into a salad. And it is almost pure protein - basically 30% protein, 70% water, better than a shake actually.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Went for my usual walk today. Stamina seems slightly improved...At least, I wasn't breathing quite as hard. My legs seemed to hold up to the activity longer too...I would have gone on longer today but my lower back tends to protest extended walking by transforming into a lump of pain.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

Xanatos wrote:Went for my usual walk today. Stamina seems slightly improved...At least, I wasn't breathing quite as hard. My legs seemed to hold up to the activity longer too...I would have gone on longer today but my lower back tends to protest extended walking by transforming into a lump of pain.
Read #2. (Hurt Your Back? Just Keep Moving)

Also #4. (Don't Stretch Before a Workout) [I wonder what Emi would say? I know she hates it too]

http://www.cracked.com/article_19954_5- ... me_p2.html

Finally the ice melted. :) Starting week 2, but I don't think it lasts for long before snowing again. :x
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Zilveri wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Went for my usual walk today. Stamina seems slightly improved...At least, I wasn't breathing quite as hard. My legs seemed to hold up to the activity longer too...I would have gone on longer today but my lower back tends to protest extended walking by transforming into a lump of pain.
Read #2. (Hurt Your Back? Just Keep Moving)

Also #4. (Don't Stretch Before a Workout) [I wonder what Emi would say? I know she hates it too]

http://www.cracked.com/article_19954_5- ... me_p2.html

Finally the ice melted. Starting week 2, but I don't think it lasts for long before snowing again. :)
#4 contradicts Emi. This article must be shunned. D:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

Xanatos wrote:
#4 contradicts Emi. This article must be shunned. D:
I know, Emi is always right. :D I'm still gonna leave the article there, if somebody else wants to read it.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Yeah, I've known about stretching's problems for a while now, which is why I don't do it (that and laziness). I should stretch after workouts but... meh.
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

ook wrote:I believe in you walrus! There's still plenty of time before the new year, so make sure you don't add too much distance too quickly. But if there's anyone here who can run a half marathon it's you 8)
Thanks Ook, that means a lot. I won't be going so hard that I'll hurt myself, at least not through carelessness. I reached 15km again the other day and I'm going for 16 or 17 tomorrow.

Heartless Wanderer, that's a cool avatar you've got. I'm playing through that just now. :)
dunkelfalke wrote:W2D3 finished. My shins are in pain :(
But they always are after a run, the next day the pain goes away.
Good going. My shins are almost always the first thing to fail on a run nowadays. Do you know any exercises that specifically strengthen them? I can't think of anything.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

Could be shin splints. http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints
tl;dr version is take asprin or ibuprofen after a workout if its bad and ice your shins for awhile after running. Good luck on your goal Walrusfella but frankly you are practically there already so long as you keep at it.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

do try to walk with poles (aka nordic walking). it really helps a lot!
Walrusfella wrote:Good going. My shins are almost always the first thing to fail on a run nowadays. Do you know any exercises that specifically strengthen them? I can't think of anything.
maybe cycling? also workouts with this latex resistance band should help.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

So I did an experiment today by not stretching before going for a run. And frankly, my results were significantly worse than before. I managed to run only for 22 minutes instead of the usual 30 and I was exhausted afterwards. Really, I had to drag myself through the hallway of my house just to reach a chair.

Now to be fair, I WAS able to run considerably faster during my run. My top speed without stretching was higher for the first 15 minutes than with stretching. This may partly be the reason why I was so exhausted early on but I'm not entirely sure about that considering the fact I managed to run only 5 laps around the park instead of the usual 6. I will experiment with this a few more times to get a good understanding on how it affects my body. As always, this does not represent anything in general because every individual has a different body but I found this interesting enough to experiment with.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

I have read that stretching should be a separate workout.

Btw, just finished W3D1, but barely. After two minutes of jogging I thought that Darth Vader was unhappy with my performance :lol:
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

I managed to realise today that everywhere I go is roughly a mile.

It's a mile from work to the train station, it's a mile across town from bus stop to train station...

OK, so that's only two, but those're the two routes which I walk a lot.

Most of the time I time myself properly and can walk the route. Occassionally, I don't, and need to get there ASAP.

Therefore: I have a new goal. Be able to comfortably run a mile.

I don't really notice any marked improvement between running in T-shirt and jeans with trainers to running in work outfit and smart shoes with bag. Also, I don't tend to get that sweaty (which helps too).

On a less cardiovascular level, I'm getting back into pushups again, and am starting to throw some dips and things into the mix as well, round myself off as it were, since I still find muscle-building far easier than CV work.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Althamus wrote:I don't really notice any marked improvement between running in T-shirt and jeans with trainers to running in work outfit and smart shoes with bag. Also, I don't tend to get that sweaty (which helps too).
A mile isn't exactly a big enough of a distance to notice clear differences between your running times. Even less if you've got decent stamina, which I assume is the case since you stated you don't get that sweaty.

Then again, the higher your stamina the more you sweat.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

dunkelfalke wrote:
do try to walk with poles (aka nordic walking). it really helps a lot!
Doesn't sound like it'd help much...

I think I might get some ankle weights. On account of the palsy leaving one leg weakened, I tend to put too much weight on the good side and wear out a lot easier than I should. Need to balance myself out...
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Xanatos wrote:Doesn't sound like it'd help much...
don't judge it by how it sounds.

made her proud today :D
w3d2 finished and added a 6 minute jog afterwards.