Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Xanatos »

Reksho wrote:Does anyone still get that stabbing sensation in your sides when running? It tends to disappear when your stamina improves but I still get it every now and then. Not sure what to think of this.
Just a stitch. No big deal.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:
Reksho wrote:Does anyone still get that stabbing sensation in your sides when running? It tends to disappear when your stamina improves but I still get it every now and then. Not sure what to think of this.
A stitch, you mean, this sort of thing?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

- Drink water or fluids before hand. Dehydration is a common cause of side stitches.
- Gradually increase exercise intensity when running.

These are the immediate things that I could improve according to Wikipedia. Gonna go ahead and see if it will make a difference because that pain sometimes gets in the way of my concentration.
Thanks for the link!

Xanatos wrote:Just a stitch. No big deal.
Yeah, I thought that too. I was just wondering why it didn't disappear as I'm on my last week of the schedule and can run continously for 30 minutes. Thought there may be a problem with my stamina but I guess it's simpler than that as described above.
lvl5popcap

Post by lvl5popcap »

I used to get these on almost every run when I was younger, and they seemed to become more bearable over time. But at some point I needed to take a pre-military fit test so I had to do abs & core exercises for several weeks, which I'd never done before. The side pain when running went away completely. If you have an extra 15 minutes every other day I'd recommended seeing if it works for you.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

I am an ass. On W2D2 now, had the routine memorised in a wrong way: 90 sec jog, 60 sec walk, and thought myself a loser because I only managed to do it half the time, the other half was 90 sec slow jog, 90 sec walk :lol:
But I am indeed heart constrained - 160 bpm while jogging like an old fart, huffing and wheezing. Then again, I am still 30 kg over normal weight.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

lvl5popcap wrote:
I used to get these on almost every run when I was younger, and they seemed to become more bearable over time. But at some point I needed to take a pre-military fit test so I had to do abs & core exercises for several weeks, which I'd never done before. The side pain when running went away completely. If you have an extra 15 minutes every other day I'd recommended seeing if it works for you.
Now that I think about it, I used to do a shitload of ab exercises back when I was doing Karate. I don't recall suffering side stitches when doing stamina exercises, none annoying enough to remember anyway.
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

Damn Finland's weather, it started snowing a week ago and the roads are still covered with ice. I'm sorry, but I don't want to break my leg while running. 1st week done, I'm sorry Emi. I'm still doing the push-up challenge tho.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Zilveri wrote:Damn Finland's weather, it started snowing a week ago and the roads are still covered with ice. I'm sorry, but I don't want to break my leg while running. 1st week done, I'm sorry Emi. I'm still doing the push-up challenge tho.
Run inside. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

Xanatos wrote:
Run inside. :P
I don't think that would work :D Too much stuff in the way.
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Glitter Freeze wrote:I never felt anything as good as what I feel during and after the runs
During the runs, I feel energized, spiritually almost, all my worries seem less
After the runs, the 'runner's high' was really something, I feel almost invincible. Although my injured knee impeded my progress, but it probably won't occur anymore

I feel much better, physically and emotionally after I started these runs. I'm really glad that I made the decision to run again. I believe I would continue to run for as long as my body permits
You guys are great
Thank you Emi, thank you KS
I know I'm a bit slow on commenting on this, but that's great to hear! I get the very same feelings now from running, and it's been such a positive change. Let us know how your progress goes; you've nearly reached the end!
Akros wrote:Couldn't keep with the runs last week due to all the raining going on now in Spain, but anyway, things are still getting better. These runs are great
Congrats to Walrusfella for finishing the 10k. Love that patch!!
Thanks Akros. Good luck on the 10k. You'll do well; I know from Fitocracy that you're very fast.

Glad you like the patch :) It has already occasioned some comment - one guy I was standing in line at a cafe with recognised her and a few people have asked me who it is/what she's from. The actual image it's based on is the act 4 "Motion" title card, just coloured and flipped around so she faces forward on my right sleeve.

-

Running progress update - Due to the unfortunate nature of Canadian weather (I totally sympathise Zilveri) I've had to take my running to an indoor track for the winter so I can keep making progress. I've also finally replaced my worn out shoes.

I had a bit of a breakthrough last Thursday - I ran 15 km in one go. It took about an hour and a half. This beat my previous best distance by a further two km, at a slightly faster pace. My body was falling apart by the end but I made it.

This encouraging progress has lead me settle upon a new challenge: I declare before this honourable thread that, barring grievous injury or unforeseen calamity, I will run one-score-and-one-point-one kilometres, or a half-marathon, before the arrival of the new year.

This will mark the zenith of my Emi-inspired running that I began in April, on day 1 of week 1 of Couch to 5k when I had trouble running a minute.

I'm telling you guys this now so it's more likely that I'll push myself hard to make it. If I'm found wanting, feel free to ridicule. You could even scorn, if you prefer. :) As always, the following applies: if an overweight 30 year old with bad shins can do it, you sure can too.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Wow, hey again guys. It's beena little while :P

My work has been getting more intensive, and I've had a couple of weekends of frantic work trying to meet deadlines, along with basically the rest of life deciding to kick me to the curb all at the same time. Exercise stopped completely, and I've been feeling pretty exhausted, enough tobasically make it through the day on zombie mode and hope the evening comes fast so I can go back and watch trashy TV and go to bed exhausted, ready for the morrow.

Then, a few days ago, someone told me to watch Swords Art Online. a) It's the best anime I've ever seen and you all need to see it (srsly), and b) It reminded me of KS again, and basically stirred up feelings and reminded me how I wasn't and am not satisfied with how I am at the moment, and want to be better.

Ha, it's interesting that KS is now apparently entwined in my mind with self-improvement.

Also reminded me that of all the animes that I've read/watched, a good 75% of them really make me feel good, whereas of TV series and most books and the like, I'd put the ratio anywhere between 30% and 50%.

Therefore, my first step now that I've woken from this exhaustion stupour is to get more rest, do/watch more things that'll make me feel happier and lighter, and take better care of myself and my body. If I try to exercise right now, I'll just run myself further into the ground, so I need to work up to it. But I'm gonna get there, even if I've been knocked down a few times.

For Emi.

Edit: Also, Go Walrusfella! :D Glad to see you're still kicking all kinds of ass :D
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Zilveri wrote:Damn Finland's weather, it started snowing a week ago and the roads are still covered with ice. I'm sorry, but I don't want to break my leg while running. 1st week done, I'm sorry Emi. I'm still doing the push-up challenge tho.
Is the snow already deep enough for backcountry/xc skiing?

Go walrusfella!
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

dunkelfalke wrote:
Is the snow already deep enough for backcountry/xc skiing?

Go walrusfella!
There's not enough snow yet where I live, but eventually, it will look like this:

dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Heh, I know, we used to be kind of neighbours, I was born in Estonia :D
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

dunkelfalke wrote:Heh, I know, we used to be kind of neighbours, I was born in Estonia :D
That's nice to hear. :) I have only visited Estonia once, pretty nice place.
zanger

Post by zanger »

I'd like to take this opportunity to inform y'all that the parts of your body that girls find the hottest are:

your ass, and
your back !

:D
the world would be a different place without you or me but who else would realize it?