Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Reksho

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Reksho »

Enemy | wrote:Well uh I don't know the technical difference between soreness and pain.
Soreness is pain that goes away by itself. Mostly it's inflicted by exposing muscles to streneous physical activity in which it will tire itself out and then repair itself. You can notice this repairing part by soreness (muscle pain). Like having pain in your chest when you've been doing many pushups the day before. Soreness is completely normal.

Actual pain is bad. It's a sign from your body telling you that something is damaged. This mostly does not go away by itself and needs intervention. Things like pain in your bones and torn muscles are alarming signs that you need to stop working out immediately and sort the problem out.

A good rule of thumb is that pain other than in muscles is bad.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Oh. Then soreness.
Glitter Freeze

Post by Glitter Freeze »

So, I've starting running c25k about a month ago. Used to quite borderline underweight, but had been putting on some weight this year.
I used to be 'okay' fit, regularly running/basic workout when I was in my school's cadet. Then I had a bad fall (trying to backflip from a horizontal beam lol). Injured my left knee, left the cadet. Never ran anymore, though I still do pushups now and then.

Got Emi on my first playthrough cause I really thought Hisao would die or something terrible if I don't follow the Nurse's advice.
Can't say she's my favourite but playing through her path really made me decide to run again.

week1: Was great tho my cardio was really weak
week2: Everything's better and I feel so good
week3: Shit happened, I started experiencing pain in my left knee. I was stubborn and finished the 3 days anyway cause the pain disappears during the run and occurs after the runs
week4: The pain becomes too much and I had to stop the routine. It was now that I found out about forefoot running
week5: Forefoot running really solved the knee pain. Although my calves are pretty sore after the run

I'm going to run again tomorrow morning. Still have to work on perfecting my form
I think I won't have anymore problems after my calves get used to forefoot running
I never felt anything as good as what I feel during and after the runs
During the runs, I feel energized, spiritually almost, all my worries seem less
After the runs, the 'runner's high' was really something, I feel almost invincible. Although my injured knee impeded my progress, but it probably won't occur anymore

I feel much better, physically and emotionally after I started these runs. I'm really glad that I made the decision to run again. I believe I would continue to run for as long as my body permits
You guys are great
Thank you Emi, thank you KS

Sorry if my post isn't very relevant, just wanted to share my experiences :)
Walrusfella wrote:[

One last thing: I had another patch made up as a treat for reaching the end of Bridge to 10k, and I just finished sewing it to my riding jacket. I thought you guys might like it. :)

Nice
Yellow 13 wrote:also, After the heart attack you are in a hospital room, all alone, back to square one. but then suddenly the music box and FEELS, FEELS EVERYWHERE
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Glitter Freeze wrote:week5: Forefoot running really solved the knee pain. Although my calves are pretty sore after the run
Wow, really?

I needed weeks of professional physiotherapy to make the pain go away. Was told that my running and even walking form was bad. Worked on that and the pain mostly went away. Forefoot running does sound interesting though if it works as well as you say.
Akros

Post by Akros »

Couldn't keep with the runs last week due to all the raining going on now in Spain, but anyway, things are still getting better. These runs are great :D
Congrats to Walrusfella for finishing the 10k. Love that patch!! :D
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Haven't gone running for about 5 days due to exams. Was afraid my stamina had dropped and really didn't want to face it today.

Turns out, this morning was possibly the best run I ever had. Broke my record of number of minutes running consecutively without walking in between (26 minutes) and had an overall higher top speed during the run.
Maybe taking a longer break once in a while isn't so bad after all.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Reksho wrote:Still, there is no need to drink when you're hydrated enough beforehand. If you're not interrupting the workout, then you sure are interrupting your digestive system.
There is a widespread opinion among cyclists - don't know, how true it is, though - that you always should sip some water every now and then because joints dry out fast and thus cycling for a prolonged time without drinking damages the knees. Can't tell about running yet, but a mouthful of water every 10 minutes or so really helps when cycling for over an hour.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

My habits regarding running have been incredibly poor over the last month (I've run maybe once in a month's time, if that), but on the other hand I've broken 55 consecutive pushups. W00t!
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

ugh, i finally made the first week :shock:
my poor knees!

this was actually my third try for the first week, but in the previous two weeks i was too weak to finish the jog (sorry for the bad pun).
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

dunkelfalke wrote:ugh, i finally made the first week :shock:
my poor knees!

this was actually my third try for the first week, but in the previous two weeks i was too weak to finish the jog (sorry for the bad pun).
Go for it!
You're finally in the zone. That oughta give you a motivational boost.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

I don't lack motivation, I lack fitness and carry 30 kg too much (used to be 57 kg more, though, so I can't complain there). Also I am pissed off that all my cycling this year doesn't help much with running.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

dunkelfalke wrote: my poor knees!
I sympathize. I'm pretty sure at least one of my knees is arthritic at this point. I've found starting slow and limping a bit for a couple strides helps work it out. Apparently Newton was right.

I should probably see a doctor at some point, though.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

dunkelfalke wrote:I don't lack motivation
Didn't say that but whatever. You can never have enough motivation.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Didn't mean to offend you, pal, sorry.
Peace?
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Emibro's for life.