Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Althamus

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Althamus »

I'm still here. I got to 100 Pushups, and am probably still at roughly that same level of fitness.

Due to my physique though, I run out of energy easily, which means that after anything but the easiest of days of work, I'm just plain too knackered to do a half hour run. I'm dedicated to getting myself (harder, better) faster, stronger though, and top on that list atm is better eating. Better nutrition, better food etc, now I have the money to afford to feed myself properly. Also aiming on getting more sleep and more mental rest, and once I get to a good place with that, I'll start running again.
But I am going to get to EC25K. It's a certainty in life, like the sun coming up tomorrow :P And I am going to keep working on getting fitter. But I still like and check this topic everyday, despite being one of the older people here now (I still think of myself as a newbie here xD). Keeps me motivated and keeps me going :D
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

I'm not still going. Feeling perpetually exhausted and have no motivation. -.-
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

smartphone users who are doing the push-up challenge, check out the runtastic pushup app, it's pretty handy.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Akros

Post by Akros »

gRaViJa wrote:smartphone users who are doing the push-up challenge, check out the runtastic pushup app, it's pretty handy.
I still can't get the normal app to work :?
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

dwarduk wrote:I'm not still going. Feeling perpetually exhausted and have no motivation. -.-
Beginning is easy
Keeping it up is the hard part. Don't quit.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I just broke 50 pushups in a row. :3 I don't need no goldarned schedule!
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

My goodness, everyone's been quiet as church mice lately. Aside from the Fitocracy folk I feel like I'm running by my lonesome out here. :) How are your routines going, fellow runners and workers-out? Anybody new thinking of taking the plunge?

Small update on my stuff: I'm in the last couple of weeks of Emi's Bridge to 10k, and starting to run some very long (for me) distances. My mind's adjusting to it, and my thoughts seem to slow down and get really peaceful when I run now. I seem to be coming down sick, however, which may delay my progress. :( It's not so bad yet that I can't run, so I hope it stays like that.

My progress in the push up challenge has slowed to a crawl, with each new day block becoming a week or more. I'm still chipping away at it though.
Pseudogenesis wrote:I just broke 50 pushups in a row. :3 I don't need no goldarned schedule!
You obviously don't! Good job. I hope to get there at someday. I could make 35 on a good day with fair winds behind me.
dwarduk wrote:I'm not still going. Feeling perpetually exhausted and have no motivation. -.-
Sorry to hear that. :( It'll still be there when you're ready to try again. Be well.

Althamus, that's a solid plan. I need to eat a bit healthier myself. I already am relative to when I started, but now that I'm running longer my body craves better fuel.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Going with the workouts the gym folk made for me. Not exactly exclusive to me or anything, but I trust their judgement that these exercises are good. Been running a bit more than usual, though not too much. I stopped cycling at the gym though.
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

I've been meaning to start exercising, both my endurance, and energy levels are dangerously low, which in turn is what "stops" me from starting. After going the Emi path though, I - much like a lot of you people - decided to start jogging and then running. I'm about 1.8 meters (ca.6 feet) and around 65kg (143 pounds), though, not much of that is muscle yet :D
Does anyone got any tips on how to start? I want to run in the mornings, before school. Not so much because that's what they do in the novel, but more so because it will increase my attention and energy levels throughout the day, and also (hopefully) make me more tired in the evening. Another thing that is sort of discouraging is that the weather here in Norway is shitty and cold, and joining a gym isn't appealing. Master procrastinator here.
Another huge part of why I want to run, and honestly the biggest motivation to do so is the positive mental effects it has.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

The Couch to 5K is a good guide to start.
Akros

Post by Akros »

I'm not doing much right now, kind of bussy lately, what about you guys? still going? I plan to start preparing for the 10K as soon as I get done with what I'm doing right now
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Kadadj wrote:I've been meaning to start exercising, both my endurance, and energy levels are dangerously low, which in turn is what "stops" me from starting. After going the Emi path though, I - much like a lot of you people - decided to start jogging and then running. I'm about 1.8 meters (ca.6 feet) and around 65kg (143 pounds), though, not much of that is muscle yet :D
Does anyone got any tips on how to start? I want to run in the mornings, before school. Not so much because that's what they do in the novel, but more so because it will increase my attention and energy levels throughout the day, and also (hopefully) make me more tired in the evening. Another thing that is sort of discouraging is that the weather here in Norway is shitty and cold, and joining a gym isn't appealing. Master procrastinator here.
Another huge part of why I want to run, and honestly the biggest motivation to do so is the positive mental effects it has.
Good on you! Like Enemy said this is a great guide to starting. I started it around Easter, and I could barely run at all. The first week has you running 8 minutes divided into short chunks. You don't need to run hard, a jog will do. If you use the music mixes from the O.P. you don't even have to keep track on a watch, just go by the songs - first one is fast for a run, next is slow for a walk, and so on. If you advance to a week that just wrecks you, you can just repeat it until you master that one.

Many of us prefer to run in the evening or at night. The problem with running in the morning before you start your day is that you have to be very disciplined about your start time. If you're tired or slow getting ready, you have to scrap the run altogether because the school time can't be adjusted. I run in the evening, and if I'm slow getting ready or something I just do the run anyway and lose 1/2 hour of sleep or however long. That said, running in the morning is probably invigorating and better for sleep. If you can manage the start time, you probably should run in the morning like you're inclined to do.

I can definitely sympathize about the shittycold weather. :) I haven't yet figured out what I'm going to do when the winter gets really bad. I've found that running does indeed very positive mental effects. I can literally run away from my worries for a while three times a week - you simply can't think about that stuff when you're that tired and still moving. It's a bit Emi-ish.

Good luck, and let us know how your running goes!
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

@Kadadj
Start it up. Running when I get up is the way I go, but it is far harder to get into a routine since it is easier to convince yourself to stay in bed. As for cold I would actually prefer if it would cool down. It helps with over heating that can happen running going during the day. If it gets too cold just remember to wear proper cloths even though you wont feel cold from all the running your body really is still cold.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
basmimarsinan

Post by basmimarsinan »

I finally got to complete Emi's route this summer. Although it didn't inspire me as much as I thought it would, it was enough to convince me to do some exercise. So I have been planning to start Emi's Couch to 5K for months.

I have finally bought a pair of shoes for running and found a friend who was willing to run with me. And we completed the week 1 day 1 yesterday evening. It was a lot more easier than I expected and I was hardly tired after running although I haven't been doing any sports for quite a while. We just weren't sure about how fast we should be running. The first day exercise was ~2.2km long for us (including the walking).

I really wanted to run in the mornings but we figured it would be difficult as we're both teachers. We probably can only keep this up for a few weeks as the weather is getting real cold here. Still it's a refreshing feeling. I'll try to keep it up as long as the weather lets me.
jumjummju

Post by jumjummju »

I like how, according to this, in 9 weeks I'll be able to run for half-an hour straight, yet even after an entire track season (minus 3 days for ingrown toenails) I still have a hard time joggin' for more than 5 minutes. Even though I wasn't in any shape to begin with.

Also, I got last place every time I run. I suck at running. >_>

I suppose it's a good thing that my mentality is "I suck at it, therefor I should try harder so I don't suck at it." I'm a stubborn mule. :P

(Note to self: Stop drinking soda.)