Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Akros
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:23 am

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Akros » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:55 am

Xanatos wrote:It's not my problem if you won't consider facts. It's only my problem that this semantics bullshit clutters the thread. Take it elsewhere if you seriously can't get over it.
you are the one who started all this, in fact, most of your post in this thread are offtopic
BTW, check the wikipedia so you know where "soccer" comes from
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:00 am

Akros wrote:
Xanatos wrote:It's not my problem if you won't consider facts. It's only my problem that this semantics bullshit clutters the thread. Take it elsewhere if you seriously can't get over it.
you are the one who started all this, in fact, most of your post in this thread are offtopic
BTW, check the wikipedia so you know where "soccer" comes from
Actually, you and Erenussocrates started this in the 4th and 5th post, respectively, on page 92. You then continued it after it was plainly pointed out by Enemy | as a useless discussion of semantics. And now it's going to end because Enemy | was correct.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
ZXRN
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by ZXRN » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Althamus wrote:
ook wrote:Week 1 day 2 of pushups complete. I don't know if it was because I didn't run first like last time, or if I'm actually getting stronger already, but it was a little easier than day 1.
It's that you didn't run first. Running is a low-energy long activity, and will just generally deplete your energy reserves, but will increase your stamina and slightly increase your muscles.
Pushups (for example) is a high-energy short activity, and will go for maximum muscle growth and make your arms hurt, but won't really deplete your energy reserves or increase your stamina.

Therefore, plan accordingly. If you can, do exercises that'll deplete your energy reserves last (otherwise anything after that will be done while you're feeling exhausted), do high-energy short activities when you won't need to use -those- muscles for a day or so, otherwise they'll hurt etc etc.

tl;dr
Do endurance exercises after weight-lifting style exercises.
update: I honestly don't know if I'm following Althamus's chart but if I'm correct about this. I should rest until Monday again since I'm done with the first 3 days in that week. (Or should I progress on the chart everyday?)
With -any- exercises that're designed to push you to your limit (pushups, running etc etc.) then you should always rest for a day or so afterwards to give your body time to recover. Ideally exercise Mon, Wed, Fri and have the other days in the week off.
This is because if you're doing it right, then you should be actually tearing your muscles apart as you exercise, and then when they regrow, they'll regrow bigger and stronger. But obviously, if you don't give them time to regrow, you'll just end up damaging them.
Obviously, if you can run for 20 miles np, then a half-mile walk isn't pushing you to your limits, so a rest afterwards isn't needed etc etc.
If you feel sore when you start the exercise, you're probably better off leaving it a day more.

Well, at least I'm pretty sure I'm doing the jogging right then. However, I do push-ups until I can't no more but I'm not in any sort of pain afterwards for some reason unlike when I jog and my feet feel sore. Anyways, thanks for the tips and I'll just stick to what you said.

off-topic: They do say football refers to rugby in America. Football is Rugby/Football and soccer is soccer in america. If it's not america theeen it's also football. (but most people call it soccer now. just sayin') BUT that's not important and this is the last place I'd see anyone fight...so please stop? maybe? (least I tried.)

Say sorry to each other or something I dunno, just don't fight here coz I think I've had enough of people fighting with trolls in other threads. That's all
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.

User avatar
dwarduk
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by dwarduk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:41 pm

English game is football.
The American game is armball Image

The only problem is rugby, or in its original name, Rugby Football. I don't care which name you use; I just care about the people that insist the other name is wrong. :x

(Edit: pictures removed due to common sense regarding post size)



Aaaanyway, I'm going to start again with both of these challenges. Initial tests tomorrow, then the applicable workouts starting on Monday. I'm thinking pushups in the morning before work; situps after work, and maybe a run if I can manage that as well. You say it's not endurance so much as strength, but pushups still drain me like nothing else :|
Image
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 pm

I can't do pushups. No strength in the right arm.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
dwarduk
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by dwarduk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Xanatos wrote:I can't do pushups. No strength in the right arm.
I don't know anything about your condition; is it possible for you to build up strength? If so, you could always try some sort of alternative form of pushup, like knee pushups, or wall pushups if it comes to it? If not, just :?
Image
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:55 pm

dwarduk wrote:
Xanatos wrote:I can't do pushups. No strength in the right arm.
I don't know anything about your condition; is it possible for you to build up strength? If so, you could always try some sort of alternative form of pushup, like knee pushups, or wall pushups if it comes to it? If not, just :?
Autism and cerebral palsy.

It's technically possible but not entirely practical. The muscle control on my right side is sorely lacking so the muscles fall into disuse and atrophy pretty quickly anyway whenever I do get strength in them. Alternatives never really occurred to me...I may try that.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

User avatar
Enemy |
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Enemy | » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Got a headache after running today, still hurts a bit.
Maybe a cold coming up, I don't know.

Erenussocrates
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 am

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Erenussocrates » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Akros wrote: Don't complain for something so stupid, it's no use, besides this isn't a discussion of semantics, like you said. Football is played with your feet, if Americans just grab a ball with their hands and call it football well.... you need to to learn the meaning of words
I'm not american and that doesn't change the fact that the actual name of the sport's name is soccer. That is fact.

Sorry for being offtopic so far, I won't post about this obvious matter again.

User avatar
Gandara
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 3:24 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Gandara » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Weekly Update

I've hit another milestone. After losing 4 more pounds this last week, I've now lost a total of 50 lbs. since the beginning of the year. I feel great.

My week was a little sordid to say the least. I worked a 14-hour shift on Saturday, most of that on my feet, so on Sunday and Monday I was having some significant knee problems. My right knee was buckling a lot and swelled up pretty bad. I iced it and it seemed to get better, but I didn't walk much this week. I swam on Monday and Wednesday as planned, and the swimming seemed to help a lot with my knee. I'm better now, but losing that exercise was a little disheartening.

Anyway, I've got a lot longer to go but I'm much closer to my goal than I was several weeks ago. Gotta keep moving!
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"

User avatar
Althamus
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Althamus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Gandara wrote:Weekly Update

I've hit another milestone. After losing 4 more pounds this last week, I've now lost a total of 50 lbs. since the beginning of the year. I feel great.
Wow :D That's really great, congratulations! ^_^

And despite being plauged by bad eating habits (ie. not enough money) and excessive working (my workload has literally more than tripled since Wednesday), I'm aiming to keep pushing on the pushups. I figured that it'd be kinda awesome to say "I can do 100 PUs", but figured the next obvious question would be "prove it" or similar (especially as I have a slim frame, so it looks unlikely) and to follow that with something like "Well, I can, but under the following optimal circumstances..." sounds a bit lame, therefore my next step is to consolidate my 100PUs, and get myself to a stage where I can do 75 np, and can do 100 within a normal exhaustion test.
First step, another exhaustion test tomorrow evening (I have Saturday off, so can actually eat and rest up) and see how well I can do!
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101

User avatar
Sk3tch
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Sk3tch » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Gandara wrote:Weekly Update

I've hit another milestone. After losing 4 more pounds this last week, I've now lost a total of 50 lbs. since the beginning of the year. I feel great.

My week was a little sordid to say the least. I worked a 14-hour shift on Saturday, most of that on my feet, so on Sunday and Monday I was having some significant knee problems. My right knee was buckling a lot and swelled up pretty bad. I iced it and it seemed to get better, but I didn't walk much this week. I swam on Monday and Wednesday as planned, and the swimming seemed to help a lot with my knee. I'm better now, but losing that exercise was a little disheartening.

Anyway, I've got a lot longer to go but I'm much closer to my goal than I was several weeks ago. Gotta keep moving!
Well done! Not to like throw you on the pedestal or anything but you are like the success story of this thread. In other news, I haven't been able to run but I have been keeping up with the pushups so that's good. Finally got a job after some extensive searching, doing auto work so hopefully I can get a good workout from it.
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed

User avatar
Walrusfella
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: The Dominion of Canada

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Walrusfella » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 am

ook wrote:Also, I reached a milestone today - I went to an amusement park. :D
I hadn't been to one of those in about 8 years, so I was really nervous as I was about to get on that first roller coaster.
Not because I was scared, but... skinny people probably take this for granted, but it's something every 300+ man has experienced: It sucks to wait in line for a ride, only to take the "walk of shame" because the restraints won't close all the way. :oops:

But thanks to emi and you guys, that didn't happen. :) My gut has now shrank enough to ride on roller coasters.
As soon as the realization hit me that I could literally go on any ride in the park now, I felt... liberated.

And oh how I enjoyed those coasters.
Congrats, that's just awesome. I love roller coasters too. I worked at an amusement park one summer in my late teens and rode them after every shift. I've been on the opposite side of that scenario a couple of times; I felt about two inches tall when I had to tell someone they couldn't go on because of that. :oops:
Gandara wrote:I've hit another milestone. After losing 4 more pounds this last week, I've now lost a total of 50 lbs. since the beginning of the year. I feel great.
Good on you, man! Your hard work is paying off like crazy and inspiring people to follow. I've lost 24 pounds since I started this, at the rate of a bit less than 2 pounds a week. I'm now about 10 pounds away from my goal of 220.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!

jmeks23
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by jmeks23 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:22 am

Much congrats to Gandara! Finished week 5 tonight and I gotta say it felt amazing! Didn't think I could even sniff 21 minutes, and it turns out I could have ran even more than that. Feels good!

User avatar
ZXRN
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by ZXRN » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:11 am

Wow, I envy you guys. I couldn't run at all this whole week due to my job and not waking up last morning.

To Gandara who just lost 50 lbs. congrats dood :D !
to Enemy, give it a day and you'll be okay. (cool, it rhymed wahaha)
to jmeks, good job on finishing week 5 dood, (damn..i'm gettin' left behind again!)
and lastly, advanced congrats to Walrusfella who's almost finished with his goal.

no updates from me...sad.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.

Post Reply