Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Gandara

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Gandara »

I'm not really running, yet. I just bought "running shoes", as they were the best option for workout shoes.

And I'm not sure if I can take the risk of not getting inserts. When I was younger I had poor arches on my feet, doctors were worried I may have complications later on. I've tried to use inserts in my shoes but I've never had a problem like the one I'm having with these current shoes. It's almost like I can't walk right in 'em - my feet are sort of angled inward when I step. Again, it might just be a shitty pair of shoes, but all the same I don't want to risk having my arches collapse and destroying my feet, especially now that I'm getting really active again.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

If you really need special insoles due to flat feet, you would need a custom made one for your feet, with a prescription and measurements. Sorry, man. I know going to the doctor is quite expensive in the States, but standard ones are a waste of money in such a case.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

gRaViJa wrote:I think you can download the entire OST for free on the main website.
5 km run: 27m48. Not véry fast, but it's 30°C + here so i couldn't go faster and i shouldn't either with these temperatures :p
It ain't that bad. (considering the fact that i'm 1 min. slower ... :( )

There's no shame in repeating a week; I repeated week four because I had to rest an injury. That said, if you can actually run the times I'd recommend going on to the next week and repeating that if you have problems there. Only repeat a week if you can't run for the times listed. Good luck!

The soundtrack download link is right here. It's got everything, even the FMV music.
thanks a bunch for the music dood. I'll definitely repeat this week then. And hopefully afterwards, the 21 min. thing on week 5 would be a breeze.

My condolences. I somehow bruised my knee over the weekend, and while I was able to run fine on Monday, it's been hurting pretty bad since then, so I'm probably gonna need to postpone W3D1 until Friday. I hate missing days, but at least that tells me I'm not going to lose my desire to do it.

I keep thinking of Emi in the wheelchair...
I know how you feel dood. I couldn't do any work out (even the weights) because of this skin irritation thing in between my legs (dunno what this is, but it hurts when they rub together). Then again, you've got one heck of an imagination. I only thought of "sorry Emi." once or twice when I woke up.

Well, it's feelin' better now coz of some medicine so I'll definitely go again on the next day.

edit: thanks again for the the music walrusfella. I don't know how the heck did I not see this when I first downloaded the game but this is awesome. (it's even got artbooks I can draw!)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Akros

Post by Akros »

mysterycycle wrote:
ZXRN wrote:As expected, week 4 will be quite the challenge for me. If it goes well in the next 2 days, I shall continue to week 5. If it doesn't...I think i'll be stuck with this week for a while til' I get used to it. My knees hurt but I still feel like I wanna go run again. (I hope this runner's high thing stays forever in my system)
My condolences. I somehow bruised my knee over the weekend, and while I was able to run fine on Monday, it's been hurting pretty bad since then, so I'm probably gonna need to postpone W3D1 until Friday. I hate missing days, but at least that tells me I'm not going to lose my desire to do it.

I keep thinking of Emi in the wheelchair...
Emi in a wheelchair,....
...that reminds me of something else, something involving lube and the track field,...

Anyway if you guys need to rest then do, not taking your time might result in an injury so that's not cool :\
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Guys, i know this isn't thread related, but I always love your feedback, and... I need help:

tl;dr:
Basicly it's this. I have 2 choices to pick from that will pretty much decide my entire future: either do an internship + 1 more year of university at a new city or start working as a socialmedia co-manager at another university (= still have to do the final job interview though).

Full explanation:
The internship is at the ministery of education for 1 month ( = fat paycheck + more chance to find a good job at a university/college later(which i would love to do) + 1 year of studying at new university (= more fun + again chances for a better payed, higher ranked job in the future) and enjoy another summer.

Or start working as a social media co-manager at another university 4/5th (= steady income, but doesn't pay as much as i could earn fulltime, as i'll have a workweek of 32 hours only, but then i have the possibility to go live on my own aka with my friends in a few months from now). The job itself is pretty fun, but not as fun as going to university as a student and i'll spend my entire summer working instead of partying ^^. Important to state that i don't have this job yet, but i'm invited for a job interview (so only the best applicants remain and i have a decent chance for the job).

However, if i'd start working next year, i would be so happy if i get a job like this, as i get 9 weeks of vacation every year, only have to work 32 hours a week, and still get a decent (1500$) income. There are also possibilities to get ranked higher (full-time co-manager and later maybe manager etc.)

This really feels like that moment in a VN where you have to make the most important choice in the game x1000!
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Akros

Post by Akros »

@gravija that's a really important decision so think about it carefully.

I don't enjoy university life that much, but I do like being there, so I would really consider staying one more year, doing the internship and improve my chances for the future. Even though I've just said that, not having to go to classes and getting done with exams is something I've wanted for a really long time ( I ain't the only one right? ). I would try to get that job and in case I don't I'll try to go for option 1. Working 32 hours a week, 1500$ and a 9 week vacation period sounds pretty good to me for a first job and if you share a flat with some friends you'll have plenty of money left and a lot of time to "party hard", run, or do whatever you want.
I can't tell you much since university is at least 5 years in Spain so I've still got 2 more to go and by the time I graduate I hope to already have a couple job offers as an engineer, if not I'll try to get into Nokia or Samsung in Japan ( I love dreaming : P )
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Speaking as someone who's 24 and been pinballing around trying to find a real job since leaving Uni, I'd go for the full time employment. Better education should be a better choice, but it's my view so far that if you've gotten a degree you've proven that you can learn things and put in the time, and what companies now want is experience in your field to set you aside from the hundreds of other graduates who're looking for work.
Certainly in England, getting a job is not easy at all, and if you can find one, I'd jump at the chance to take it.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

Just got back from my run (W2D2) and do I have a story for you guys.

The run itself was fairly normal, harder than D1 (that's to be expected), though I was getting a bit of trouble from my music player. However at about the 13 minute mark as I am running down the street I run into 2 guys in the middle of a drug deal. Most awkwardly terrifying moment of my life. They weren't in like an alley or anything but they were secluded and a bit out of the way. As i jog past i give a quick sidelong glance and notice a few things.

1. A guy holding what looked to be a knife in his hand.
2. A second guy holding a small wad of cash and counting it out.
3. Plastic bags of "sugar"

As soon as i noticed these things i immediately looked straight ahead and tried not to look suspicious, which is really hard to do when 2 drug dealers stare you down as you run by. It was scary to say the least. But i got through the run without being stabbed by a drug dealer so I guess it all turned out alright.

So tell me, what wacky or scary event have you had while running?
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed
BionicKraken

Post by BionicKraken »

Just got off work and planning to run today. I'm still a little unsure about my ankles, though. They don't hurt at all when I walk (aside from the usual "after work" aches as I'm walking home), but they're sensitive if I press my fingers in a certain spot (here). When I'm on my feet, though, it really doesn't feel any different than the usual complaints my feet have about my busy work week.

@ Sketch: Considering there are probably all kinds of drugs in this house, I can't say I might have a similar experience while running, but I do find some interesting people on the beach as I run along it. That's quite the scene, though.
Much love to the Emi workout thread for kickstarting many positive changes in both my life and my mindset.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Thx for the feedback, i'll keep you all updated about how it goes.

@Sk3tch: Whoa, that must be pretty scary. The drugs is one thing, but the knife would make me run away asap too. Once there was group of 20 people standing in the way. They looked kinda shady. I was thinking that maybe i should take a little detour, but when i got closer they where friendly and moved aside lol. Another time i saw some dudes smoking weed, for one second i wanted to snatch their smoke and run away, but... i didn't lol.

Now that i think about it, i used to to smoke weed once every while before i started running. But since i started running, i haven't touched it once.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
BionicKraken

Post by BionicKraken »

The "runner's high" feels a lot better to me than a weed high ever did. Then again, that may have been because I overdid it last time I smoked. :lol:

Update on my ankle: feels about the same after the run. There was a bit of hesitation, but once I got into it, I didn't notice it much. The run was hard enough right after work. Luckily I won't be working again until Saturday, so it'll have some rest time. Hopefully that's enough, because I want to run again on Friday. Haha.
Much love to the Emi workout thread for kickstarting many positive changes in both my life and my mindset.
Manman

Post by Manman »

Woo, Im back from a week of finals and other crazy stuff.
I just have to run two more times, then I will be done with the emi5k.

I was wondering what I should do after finishing the 5k, do I continue with a more advanced schedule?
If so, are there any good ones you know of?
BionicKraken

Post by BionicKraken »

There's the "bridge to 10k" that's also posted in this thread, but it seems as though you would want to make sure you're completely comfortable with 5k first.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Manman wrote:Woo, Im back from a week of finals and other crazy stuff.
I just have to run two more times, then I will be done with the emi5k.

I was wondering what I should do after finishing the 5k, do I continue with a more advanced schedule?
If so, are there any good ones you know of?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12821010/5k%20t ... %20Emi.png

it's in the OP
BionicKraken

Post by BionicKraken »

I would suggest easing into it, though. Try running for 32 minutes, then 34, and so on (or something like that). After like two weeks, give it a shot.