Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

rydiafan

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by rydiafan »

Question ..... does it have to be running ??

I walk 7k each day to and from work for almost 3 years now ( lost about 20 pounds and i feel great )
Akros

Post by Akros »

rydiafan wrote:Question ..... does it have to be running ??

I walk 7k each day to and from work for almost 3 years now ( lost about 20 pounds and i feel great )
well, it should, walking is ok too, but you are just not gonna do as much exercise and it'll take you longer to lose weight
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Nah, it doesn't. Walking, biking, strength training, swimming, whatever you do to improve yourself at fitness.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Sk3tch wrote:
Walrusfella wrote:"He Who Can Run for One-Score-and-One Minutes Without Stopping for a Breather"
I am going to use that in a conversation one day. Mark my words, by the power vested in me these words shall be uttered from my lips upon the ears of common men
Haha! It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Congrats on polishing off week one. It gets easier from there. In a few weeks you'll rate that grandiose title yourself! :)
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

rydiafan wrote:Question ..... does it have to be running ??

As long as you get your heart rate BPM level up to the recommended rate you're fine. As long as it puts a bit of a strain on your heart to pump faster (light jog, etc.).

Off topic: Man it's been a while since I've been here or Fitocracy. Glad I still workout but sad since I missed the chance to potentially help/encourage others. :( Happy Workouts everyone. :D
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Weekly report:

Week 1 of my diet / exercise is done! And I come bearing good news:

Last week's weight: 373 lbs.
This week's weight: 368 lbs.
Lost 5 lbs.

Now, I know a lot of times when you first lock into a big diet routine you'll lose a lot the first week or two ("water weight", so I've heard it be called), but nonetheless I'm super stoked.

Notable achievements for the week:

- Kept my caloric intake below 2000 every day for the entire week. Passed up numerous temptations on sweets and high calorie food with ease.
- Exercised every single day, minimum walking 2 miles, maximum walking 5 miles and swimming 1hr 10min in one day.
- Last night I broke a few records of my own: I walked 4 miles straight, AND for the last 2.1 miles I jogged as much as I could, bringing myself back home after 32 minutes. That's an average of 3.9mph, not bad for a big, terribly out of shape dude like me. :D

I'm taking a break today, my legs are pretty sore. But I'm finally doing it - this is the beginning of the rest of my life, a life of not being out of shape any more!
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Way to go dude!
Just be careful, if you want to continue to exercise every day, no problem, but you need to do recovery exercises every other day. So, for example, monday long walk, tuesday shorter and easy paced walk, wednesday swimming, thursday easy walking, friday a walk uphill for an hour, saturday easy stride. Don't push it too hard with hard training in two days row, otherwise you'll overtrain and it sucks. Rather always raise the exertion for the "real training" days (you can also raise the time of the recovery walks when you get more fit, but not too much and not too fast, of course).

And yes, with that weight, better don't jog yet, nordic walking is a much better exercise in that case. You can start jogging later and (if possible) on soft ground.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

dunkelfalke wrote:And yes, with that weight, better don't jog yet, nordic walking is a much better exercise in that case. You can start jogging later and (if possible) on soft ground.
Thanks a bunch for the advice. Yeah, I don't think I've been alternating it exactly, but I'm definitely not straining myself every day. My body is being quite communicative with how it's feeling. :)

As for the jogging, I know I shouldn't push it. But, I've always had a very sturdy frame and strong joints. I will be very careful to not injure myself or put unneeded stress on my knees / feet, but I think that the little spurts of light jogging are doing good in getting my heart rate up and a little sweat rolling on my forehead.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Just be careful, okay? Never cared about my joints in my twenties, now I do feel them and I hate it :(
That's also the reason for walking uphill. It both trains the heart and it is better for the knees than walking (or worse, running) downhill.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

dunkelfalke wrote:Just be careful, if you want to continue to exercise every day, no problem, but you need to do recovery exercises every other day. So, for example, monday long walk, tuesday shorter and easy paced walk, wednesday swimming, thursday easy walking, friday a walk uphill for an hour, saturday easy stride. Don't push it too hard with hard training in two days row, otherwise you'll overtrain and it sucks. Rather always raise the exertion for the "real training" days (you can also raise the time of the recovery walks when you get more fit, but not too much and not too fast, of course).
+1

Although training different parts of the body also works, as long as you can maintain an energy intake. ie. massive weight training on Monday, Wed and Fri and massive runs on Tue Thurs and Sat would be OK as well I think, since you'll be training each body part on alternate days still.
Although you'll feel very tired and sore all the time that way xD

Or as dunkelfalke says, something which will exercise you, but not actually hurt your muscles at all (like gentle walking for half a mile or whatever) is fine to do on your 'rest' days.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Well, starting week 4 tomorrow. Wish me luck dood! Hope I feel the same way as you guys and won't feel as tired as I think I would. (week 3 wasn't that bad so I'm hoping that i'll be able to do it.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Just stopped by to give a second "thank you" to you guys and then set off :) (I've been lurking around for a while, not knowing what to say but feeling like I left without tying up loose ends, I don't know. I'm a bad conversationist, and I felt like anything I would say now would be small talk. Well, let it be then.)

Things have been good for me now. A good friend of my stepfather gave me some advice on what's 'good' exercise for my age, and I managed to blend his routine with C25K perfectly (and with Tennis class!).
2 years left before strenght training. Damn it.
I'm managing to keep up with the bigger kids on PE class with ease, so that's enough for me I guess. I'm doing speed training at thursdays and mondays instead of the 30 min run, so maybe that counts as "rest" (Sprinting is easy, fighting against the will of your own body to throw itself to the ground for 30 minutes isn't)
I decided that I don't need running partners. I'm kind of keeping sports that require teamwork and 'people' in general away, but that is a problem that another work of art (Or even my own mind) will solve in the unforeseen future. Besides, I'm having the same contact I had before with my friends and I am DOING SPORTS. Even if they are kind of lonely.
I feel like my self-steem is so much higher now, and that thing I had of not being able to do anything right is gone. I know that I run, people know that I run. I have something to do when I feel weak and useless, that will completely wash away that emptiness and sadness. I know that I'm a runner and I have you guys to thank for it! :) (You kind of were my running partners all along)

...Woah, that was easy. I didn't proofread it though, it will feel artificial if I do. Pseudo-poetic inspiration aside, thank you all for helping me! I really mean it! :mrgreen:

I'll be gone now :wink:
Couchto5k Progress:
Kind-of-complete, increasing speed now.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Kilo wrote:Just stopped by to give a second "thank you" to you guys and then set off :) (I've been lurking around for a while, not knowing what to say but feeling like I left without tying up loose ends, I don't know. I'm a bad conversationist, and I felt like anything I would say now would be small talk. Well, let it be then.)

Things have been good for me now. A good friend of my stepfather gave me some advice on what's 'good' exercise for my age, and I managed to blend his routine with C25K perfectly (and with Tennis class!).
2 years left before strenght training. Damn it.
I'm managing to keep up with the bigger kids on PE class with ease, so that's enough for me I guess. I'm doing speed training at thursdays and mondays instead of the 30 min run, so maybe that counts as "rest" (Sprinting is easy, fighting against the will of your own body to throw itself to the ground for 30 minutes isn't)
I decided that I don't need running partners. I'm kind of keeping sports that require teamwork and 'people' in general away, but that is a problem that another work of art (Or even my own mind) will solve in the unforeseen future. Besides, I'm having the same contact I had before with my friends and I am DOING SPORTS. Even if they are kind of lonely.
I feel like my self-steem is so much higher now, and that thing I had of not being able to do anything right is gone. I know that I run, people know that I run. I have something to do when I feel weak and useless, that will completely wash away that emptiness and sadness. I know that I'm a runner and I have you guys to thank for it! :) (You kind of were my running partners all along)

...Woah, that was easy. I didn't proofread it though, it will feel artificial if I do. Pseudo-poetic inspiration aside, thank you all for helping me! I really mean it! :mrgreen:

I'll be gone now :wink:
aww, I'm sure we'd love to hear from you again so I hope you don't disappear completely. Well, I'm glad your doing great in your daily life so I tip my hat to you friend.

I feel the same way abt jogging. It's like the only thing that makes sense when I do nothing for the day (I am still looking for a job). And as you said, removes that weak and useless feeling from ya.
(maybe that's why I decided to continue even if it's a drag for me...well, at first anyways.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Babli

Post by Babli »

Gonna start Week 6 tomorrow. Made my last mixes since after second day its just full running without walking. If someone would want my mixes for 20-25 min runs that will consist mostly of one or two songs, then write me, because I dont wanna just spam it all here in future.

Anyway here they are:

Week 6 Day 1

http://www.mediafire.com/?pyybi7iy7uek8vn

I went all Japanese on this one
5 min run - Misery by hide
3 min walk - Breakthrough by Aya Hirano
8 min run - White Feathers by L'Arc~en~Ciel
3 min walk - Jenny by Thee Michelle Gun Elephant
5 min run - Rosier by Luna Sea

Week 6 Day 2

http://www.mediafire.com/?yl822z2hfmkhxbc

10 min run - Child in Time by Deep Purple
3 min walk - Innocence from KS ost
10 min run - Core by Yutaka Ozaki (this is actually only 9 min but I wanted to run to this song since beginning of my runs, so keep that in mind.

And here are all my mixes for previous weeks. I would appreciate if OP added it in his post :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?oevhdlubn0t4b6q
http://www.mediafire.com/?vxt4rcjwtolycap
http://www.mediafire.com/?6g7l78s8h4anel1
http://www.mediafire.com/?lblqqymy2y23n1y
http://www.mediafire.com/?ktba3dxo7kxeeb0
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Great mix again :)

I didn't do any sports the last 4-5 days because of exam preparations etc. But today i'll do some push-ups and a 5k run.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25