I want to pay... something.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aerin

I want to pay... something.

Post by Aerin »

I'm going to come right out and say it.

Dedicated people put in five years, or more, of labor into this project and they gave it to us for nothing. That, my friends, is a gift. When someone sacrifices of themselves to give something to you, no strings attached.

I feel as though we should do the same for them. Not because we have to. Because we want to.

They haven't asked for anything, apparently won't accept donations. I'd love that to change. I want to support and reward people who do things like this. Not because they asked for it. Because it's the right thing to do.
I'm not sentimental
This skin and bones is a rental
And no one makes it out alive
Until I die I'll sing these songs
On the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home
In a world where I belong
Metal Handkerchief

Re: I want to pay... something.

Post by Metal Handkerchief »

I feel exactly the same way.
Emi = Hanako > Rin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lilly = Shizune
Prospektor

Post by Prospektor »

There was a similar thread recently (which was then closed), and yes, they won't accept any money. You might feel free to donate to according charities, of course.
So it seems all we can give them is our thanks and respect.
DaMan65

Post by DaMan65 »

I'm pretty sure the Dev's payment as it were would be our gratitude and support, and for us to enjoy what they've created.

They've said before any actual "Payments" would be more appreciated going towards charity. Those people need it more than they do.

Not to say I don't agree with you on some level, allot of people get payed thousands of dollars a month for doing work that is bird crap on the windshield compared to KS.

But I feel trying to give them anything would be disrespectful to their wishes.
By reading this you have given me temporary control of you mind
NomadicElectron

Post by NomadicElectron »

A lot of us do but they've requested any donations go to the charity of your choice. So, I've respected their wishes and donated to SETI and the James Randi Educational Foundation.
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

You could make some fanart or help to distribute the game by recommending it to other people who might like it. And you can always fold some proteins for the KS-Folding@Home team.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

I felt similarly, but there's no shame in paying our "debt" up differently than just in monetary value.
Committing ourselves to translation teams, promoting the game, writing letters and topics of appreciation, fanarts etc. are ways of appreciating them.

Changing our lives or donating to charities are also ways of appreciating them.

Also, there's the question of their own view on getting payed for it. Perhaps they feel the way I think they might - that getting paid for KS would change it from an "Exquisite and beautiful piece of art" to just a "Masterpiece of work". In a way, they may feel getting paid for it is actually cheapening it.

We could also form a "KS appreciation team", make an account with them, get some funds from across the world, and buy (and send) each of the devs a present for, for example, 2015 Christmas. It'd take some cash and a lot of effort and it's definitely a long term plan, but I feel this is the only way of monetary paying for the work that the devs (may) not refuse and that wouldn't "emotionally" cheapen their work.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

The problem with getting the devs a gift is that it would require them to reveal themselves: otherwise there'd be no way to send the gifts to them. I don't think they'll want to do that, and I can't say I blame them: as great as this game is, the fact that they made it is blackmail material.

They said it themselves: money would kill them. Wanting to repay them is fine, but I don't think there's really anything to do here but accept the gift and be grateful for it. Repay them by acting on the emotions it's stirring in you: help some people, get your life in order, or do something else.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Could all agree on a single charity and divert all "payment" there as a gift from fans of KS. If the numbers reach high enough it could get some attention for KS, 4LS and by extinction the devs, covers all the grounds.
Drake

Post by Drake »

I mean EXTENSION!
Lanyx

Post by Lanyx »

I agree with you completely. I understand they don't want donations, but if they did, I would gladly throw some money at them. It's the least I could offer for what they've made here.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Exchanging money across the globe, equally, with no strings attached to a team that has dissolved and reformed (losing some people) just complicates everything.
How much should everyone get? Should someone who left still get paid? Should people who did "more work" than others make more? Furthermore, the game was developed with a strong sense of anonymity that old internet culture and 4chan (and others) still heavily believe in, and even base themselves around.

The tax work alone for distributing money internationally is a beyond an arduous chore.

Everything is just easier this way. I understand how everyone feels, wanting to give back. But just spread the word, thank the team for their hard work and continue to support them. Realize that they never made this to make money.
Putting a price tag on something can, ironically, diminish its value and the dev's (I assume anyways) realized that. This is freely available to everyone to enjoy, love, and experience like great art should be.

Also, not to try to put words in their mouths as I don't know their actual thoughts on the matter; I imagine the feeling of a job well done that has truly touched so many people; even changed some of them is a feeling that getting some money won't top. Would you rather get 30 dollars or inspire someone to turn their life around? I realize the world is a capitalist place, but surely almost everyone would pick the latter.

Money is very cut and dry; it exchanges hands and everything is paid for and done with. The playing field is level and no one feels like they owe the other. The game is free so you shouldn't feel like you owe anyone anything but your thanks. However, if you truly feel like you owe them something tangible you're going to have to find your own way of "paying" them. Either with sincere thanks or actual action.

Donate to a charity. Volunteer at a local organization/hospital/school/whatever accepts (depends on country, laws, etc.). Donate blood. Learn sign language. Maybe just help someone, or help to make the world a little more accessible. These are just ideas of course, but I'm sure you can figure something out.
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

I've personally talked with a number of fans who choose not to pay for their commercial-quality media. And I've seen plenty of blog posts and comments from people who say they won't pay for commercial products, often for trivial reasons. So it's a bit surprising to see this topic.

Also, I've seen a number of bootleg and dubious products in my day. I don't expect that someone will start selling CD-Rs of Katawa Shoujo on online auctions, but I won't rule out that possibility. (I say this because on eBay, I've seen people who try to sell freeware, abandonware, hacked games with fan translations, and plenty of suspicious figures and region 0 DVDs.)
Swibble

Post by Swibble »

They'll be rewarded. People will make more games now. Maybe the developers will play those games. Maybe they will like them.
cselador

Post by cselador »

I do hope that they continue making these games. This was my first VN, and I will gladly pay for more of this quality.