Do I miss out if I only do the *spoilers* endings?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

NoGoodUsernamesLeft

Do I miss out if I only do the *spoilers* endings?

Post by NoGoodUsernamesLeft »

I'm currently in act 3 of Emi's route (my first route), and I have a question: do I miss out on either 'the spirit of the game', or on important info, if I avoid the bad endings and only do the good endings? The characters in this game hit really close to home sometimes, and I am reluctant to see them suffer.

What I mean with 'the spirit of the game' (couldn't think of a better term from the top of my head), is this: is the difference between the good and the bad endings

Good ending: happiness - depressive, emotional things happen - everything gets resolved
Bad ending: happiness - depressive, emotional things happen - everything stays depressed

or

Good ending: happiness - not really depressive or emotional things happen - everything gets resolved
Bad ending: happiness - depressive, emotional things happen - everything stays depressed

?

If it's the first, I would rather miss the bad endings, but if it's the second, I guess I would have to play the bad endings. Also, if the bad endings give important information, I would like to know that as well.

Also, if it's the second option, would you recommend doing the good ending first and then the bad, or vice versa?

Since I'm not far in the game at all, please make sure you don't use examples that contain spoilers.

Thanks in advance!

PS: the spoiler in the topic title is that there are good and bad endings (even though it's somewhat obvious).
Rykthrall

Re: Do I miss out if I only do the *spoilers* endings?

Post by Rykthrall »

As a general rule, you miss out on alot of heartache if you avoid the bad endings. But hey, isn't that the incredible attraction of this game? The fact that 2D characters can make you cry your heart out?

In other words, yes, you do miss out on alot of incredible things. The main downside is that you might sink into depression.
NoGoodUsernamesLeft

Post by NoGoodUsernamesLeft »

Rykthrall wrote:In other words, yes, you do miss out on alot of incredible things. The main downside is that you might sink into depression.
That's wat I was afraid of.. Damnit, that means I'll go emotionally numb for days after completing it.

So, with that out of the way (though if your opinion differs, please comment):

Is it best to do the bad endings first and then 'fix' everything by doing the good endings? Or do you automatically see the first ending you get as 'more true', meaning I should start with the good endings?
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Yes, you miss out. As awful as some may make you feel, you'll also get to know parts of the characters that are only lightly touched upon in the good endings. (or not at all) I personally think if you witness the bad endings, you'll appreciate the good endings more.
Harlequin13

Post by Harlequin13 »

Ugh, perhaps you do miss out, but think about your sanity and your heart - consider if they can take the hit. It might not be worth it, as boring as that may sound to some degree.
Evvinartopski

Post by Evvinartopski »

You shouldn't plan ahead to deliberately avoid bad endings, though. That kinda kills the whole purpose of the choose-your-own-adventure part of visual novels. Just take it as it comes, and if the ending is sudden and sad, try again.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Why do I get depressed when I get the good endings..?
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

It really is best to take the game as it comes along, the first time you play it. But the blow from the bad endings is softer if you get the good endings first, because that way the bad endings aren't your first impression of how the story ends. It's not much softer, but it's something.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I usually tried to get the bad ends out of the way first, so they're not the last thing I read.
Guess it's different for everyone...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
MrJackFrost

Post by MrJackFrost »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I usually tried to get the bad ends out of the way first, so they're not the last thing I read.
Guess it's different for everyone...
Can't agree more. I got Shizu's good ending first and then her bad ending. I replay her story just to avoid having bitter aftertaste, not to mention that the ending pic of her "bad route" is depressing by itself. (_ _")a
Carpo diem! -- Seize the day!