Hanako's darker tiles game

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

whase

Hanako's darker tiles game

Post by whase »

some minor spoilers about Hanako's route here, I guess...

I just finished Hanako's story, and I can't get that one scene out of my head. It's the scene where she slows down walking and starts stepping on the dark tiles only.
The thing is, I do this too. Am I really that lonely to do that?
But my real question is, does anyone else do this?

(and if the writer of this part reads this, how did you come up with the inspiration to write that part?)
Ryto

Re: Hanako's darker tiles game

Post by Ryto »

I sometimes do this. Like, if it's black and white or a similar dark and light scheme. I only step on the dark ones, unless they are ridiculously far apart. Also, I sometimes do the whole "Don't step on the crack" thing.
100% Complete.
So here's my ranking:
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>=Emi>Shizune
Prospektor

Post by Prospektor »

I'd say it would be surprising if someone never had done it. Less when you're an adult, but I always considered it one of the most univeral child games. I myself, too.
Darkish-One

Post by Darkish-One »

Sometimes we just need to entertain ourselves. Doesn't mean we're lonely it could mean we're just bored at those given moments, or we nostalgia from childhood when these things were done almost every time we spotted different tiles or jumping from crack to crack. Sometime we just gotta do it.
viduuskamen

Post by viduuskamen »

I still scan the tiles of whatever I happen to be walking on... and do it if it's not too obvious.
I think it helps passing the time, and prevents too many straying thoughts.

Plus I'd like to think it helps coordination.
"It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure."
-Rykn

[I feel like a giant jerk for completing the game.]
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

Not really. Maybe it comes from moments of great boredom or loneliness...

I often walked only on tiles of specific color or walked down the stairs by stepping on even stepts with only my left leg and on odd ones only with my right leg.

It's not THAT weird.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
Ryto

Post by Ryto »

Sometimes in addition to playing games like this, I also count my steps. I rarely go up or down stairs without counting the steps.
100% Complete.
So here's my ranking:
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>=Emi>Shizune
gammaraptor

Post by gammaraptor »

I play that sometimes to entertain myself. Oh xkcd: http://xkcd.com/245/
sleepingfox

Post by sleepingfox »

i do this thing when walking on the street, where if i step on a crack with one foot, i need to step on a crack at the same area on the other foot, though im starting to stop.

same thing with amount of steps on certain squares. i have for most of my life been forever alone lol, so not saprizing for me to do this
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

I haven't done it in quite some time, but I've done it.
Lanyx

Post by Lanyx »

Yup. I still do this on occasion, and I'm nearly 20.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Been playing this game for many years now. It's up there with the things people do to entertain themselves when they are bored, like drumming fingers, humming, counting the clouds in the sky, ect.
Loneliness doesn't have anything to do with it, it's just a way keeping yourself entertained.
Uliana

Post by Uliana »

I've played a hell of a lot of "floor games" as far as I can remember, including the darker tiles games. It's amazing what kind of unusual rules you can create with just different patterns on a floor.

It's another reason why Hanako made me d'aaaw so much :D
Flammz

Post by Flammz »

I do this, can't help myself. Similarly I often playing with rythmic teeth clenching. For example sitting in a car and clenching left and right jaw for cars passing left/right.
Maybe I'm a bit autistic LoL.
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

Did this as a kid all the time. Did different variations on it, too.

(Keep in mind that the following diagrams are all under the assumption that you're trying to walk on the darker tiles, as Hanako was.)

Version 1: Easy Mode
The idea here was "avoid the landmines." The tiles I was walking on were the dominant floor color while the tiles I was avoiding were the aberrant color. These latter tiles were the "landmines." Usually a pattern like the top two pictured here was pretty easy to navigate without others noticing. The only oddity that they might pick up on would be that I appeared to be walking along a balance beam, religiously walking in a very straight line while glancing down at the floor periodically. Something like the bottom one wouldn't be much harder, but it would certainly be more noticeable. This is especially true if (not pictured) there were ever clumps of "landmines" all together and I had to leap over them or otherwise dodge very far to the right or left, something which of course attracts attention. But when you're a kid, you usually don't care about this sort of thing.

Version 2: Hard Mode
The idea here was "walk on the safe tiles only." Everything else was "lava" and if I stood on it, I'd die. The top-most example in this picture was typically the easiest to do without people noticing. The middle example in this picture might attract some attention as I appear to take very long steps and/or leap from tile to tile, but depending on how I did it I might escape attention. The bottom example in this picture was often the most challenging but fun: you had to truly leap from tile to tile in order to survive. Sometimes you'd get lucky and find a clump of similarly-colored tiles to land on, but other times your nearest option was a solitary tile: and if you were playing strictly by the rules, even landing one single toe outside the tile meant instant immolation.

I'm sure that others here on this board did what I did above and probably then some. It definitely brought back memories from childhood (not to mention it was super cute!) when I saw this scene in the game.