Lilly's Frustration (SPOILERS)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Grim-Scribe

Lilly's Frustration (SPOILERS)

Post by Grim-Scribe »

Back in act 4 when Kenji knocked her down and tried to help her up, Lilly got really upset.
I didn't really catch the meaning behind the outburst.

Help a brother figure this out?
Palas

Re: Lilly's Frustration (SPOILERS)

Post by Palas »

PMS
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
Aelexe

Post by Aelexe »

Stress, wasn't that obvious?
RadiantBeam

Post by RadiantBeam »

Aelexe wrote:Stress, wasn't that obvious?
Pretty much this. Lilly was carrying quite a bit of weight on her shoulders by Act 4, and was trying to maintain herself. Possibly being knocked over by Kenji and feeling that brief helplessness caused her to snap and lash out, even if she recovered from it rather quickly.
Prospektor

Post by Prospektor »

In that moment, she realized Kenji had correctly identified her as the leader of the feminist conspiracy and that little "accident" was merely a warning of his upcoming assassination attempt. She knew that she, as a blind girl, wouldn't have much of a chance, and Kenji played with her, like a cat with a mouse. In that moment, she saw (figuratively) the whole conspiracy, the work of her life, blown to bits and pieces. It was the end, and she knew it, and Kenji knew it. There was no need anymore to keep her facade of a uptight lady - for whom? Hisao? A mere bystander in the greater scope of things? He didn't matter.
TheGrimAngel

Post by TheGrimAngel »

Scene really caught me off guard. But yeah I think it was due to her keeping everything going on bottled up inside and then having that one outburst where she slammed her face on the ground in anger.
Why pick a favorite character? Each of the story was beautiful and touching in its own unique way.
Grim-Scribe

Post by Grim-Scribe »

Okay, so my guess was sort of spot on.
Prospektor wrote:In that moment, she realized Kenji had correctly identified her as the leader of the feminist conspiracy and that little "accident" was merely a warning of his upcoming assassination attempt. She knew that she, as a blind girl, wouldn't have much of a chance, and Kenji played with her, like a cat with a mouse. In that moment, she saw (figuratively) the whole conspiracy, the work of her life, blown to bits and pieces. It was the end, and she knew it, and Kenji knew it. There was no need anymore to keep her facade of a uptight lady - for whom? Hisao? A mere bystander in the greater scope of things? He didn't matter.
:roll: :wink:
RadiantBeam

Post by RadiantBeam »

Grim-Scribe wrote:Okay, so my guess was sort of spot on.
It was an easy way of showing something was wrong, without actually revealing what was wrong.

I have to admit, that scene made me jump. It was a pretty mild swear all around, but rather surprising to hear it from Lilly.
Grim-Scribe

Post by Grim-Scribe »

RadiantBeam wrote:
Grim-Scribe wrote:Okay, so my guess was sort of spot on.
It was an easy way of showing something was wrong, without actually revealing what was wrong.

I have to admit, that scene made me jump. It was a pretty mild swear all around, but rather surprising to hear it from Lilly.
I was actually noticing the small hints of stress related reactions way before that scene.

It just caught me off guard, seeing her out of character.
Prospektor

Post by Prospektor »

Grim-Scribe wrote:seeing her out of character.
I had the same feeling, and not a good one. The whole time Lilly was portrayed as gentle and mild-mannered. If she'd have a moment to break under emotional stress, I'd rather expected her to cry than to have such a violent outburst. Together with the hints at beginning alcoholism I saw a future of Lilly and Hisao like in "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf".
Harco

Post by Harco »

Prospektor wrote:
Grim-Scribe wrote:seeing her out of character.
I had the same feeling, and not a good one. The whole time Lilly was portrayed as gentle and mild-mannered. If she'd have a moment to break under emotional stress, I'd rather expected her to cry than to have such a violent outburst. Together with the hints at beginning alcoholism I saw a future of Lilly and Hisao like in "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf".
Which hints at beginning alcoholism are you talking about exactly? Because I didn't see them. Yes, she likes wine and she began to drink it on special occasions -- as far as I can tell in moderation, not counting Hanako's birthday party. If that is all it takes to become a prospective alcoholic...

I thought Hisao was overreacting there, too, but maybe that's because it was just a booze for him. For Lilly, however... Here, read this, from TV Tropes:

Anyone who's ever tried to taste wine properly knows that there are a multitude of factors involved in judging a wine, most of which are not related to it's appearance. Things like smell, texture, body, acidity, variety of grape, aftertaste, flavours etc. To Hisao, or most people for that matter, these would be an afterthought since it's just booze to him. To Lilly, these things would immediately stick out to her since her other senses are so much more sensitive. Even the sound of the wine sloshing about in the glass would be something new and exciting to Lilly, so it's no surprise she takes such a fast liking to it.

I'm not saying this is the absolute truth, but it makes sense I think.

As for her swearing: I think that's just a side of her character that she likes to suppress. The use of profanities, especially in company, is not exactly a show of good taste, so to say.
Verix

Post by Verix »

Grim-Scribe wrote:Help a brother figure this out?
Frustration of helplessness. You tend to get those when you're blind.
"A realist is what a cynist calls himself..."
yuastnav

Post by yuastnav »

There are people who can drink and people who cannot.
People who cannot drink have a much higher chance of becoming alcoholics so it really depends on how you handle alcohol.
It wasn't really suggested that Lilly isn't someone who cannot handle alcohol because this one incident at Hanako's birthday party may count as a learning experience for teenagers (although Akira was rather irresponsible in that case).

I think Hisao says somewhere along the way (or rather thinks it out loud) that he now probably realised why Lilly was so upset when she tripped, or maybe she even says so to her - I don't really remember.
Lilly had a hard time deciding whether to go to Scotland or to stay.
"[...] it's just a ride."
Honeymuffin

Post by Honeymuffin »

This is actually my favourite scene in Lilly's route.

Finally she shows some humanity instead of playing the usual super-polite automaton. While her outburst freaked me out at first, I came out of the scene liking her much more as a character; it shows that despite her great inner strength and empathy for others she can still be overwhelmed, which makes a relationship with Hisao more meaningful.

Sure, she breaks down at other times in her path... But this is the only time she does so for herself.
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

Prospektor wrote:In that moment, she realized Kenji had correctly identified her as the leader of the feminist conspiracy and that little "accident" was merely a warning of his upcoming assassination attempt. She knew that she, as a blind girl, wouldn't have much of a chance, and Kenji played with her, like a cat with a mouse. In that moment, she saw (figuratively) the whole conspiracy, the work of her life, blown to bits and pieces. It was the end, and she knew it, and Kenji knew it. There was no need anymore to keep her facade of a uptight lady - for whom? Hisao? A mere bystander in the greater scope of things? He didn't matter.
Where the fuck is the vote up button?