How do Lilly able to wear Beautiful Clothes ?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Irandrura
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:29 am

Re: How do Lilly able to wear Beautiful Clothes ?

Post by Irandrura » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:42 am

Guest Poster wrote:Lilly can use her sense of touch to visualize dresses...it probably wouldn't be any tougher than visualizing Hisao's face by running her hand across it. She'd still be reliant on someone else for the colors.
This is surely a nitpick, but I quibble the word 'visualise'. She doesn't visualise a dress or indeed a person's face. If you or I wore a blindfold and had to feel out the face of a stranger, we would visualise them; we would imagine what they would look like if we could see them. Lilly was born blind, so she doesn't do that. She doesn't think in terms of a visual world which she can't interact with. Rather, her 'visualisation' of Hisao's face, or of her dresses, is constructed entirely out of touch. She understands shape, texture, softness, and so on. She doesn't imagine what he would look like if she could see him.

All that said: yes, with regard to her hair and her clothes, she might need to get some help sometimes. I suspect that a lot of the time the only thing she needs help with is colour, though. You can tell what you're wearing from how it feels on you, can't you? If someone gave her a T-shirt or a dress with holes cut, she would be able to tell. On many decorated pieces of clothing, you can feel out the designs on them, whether it's a printed design or embroidery, so she can do that as well. I suspect that most of the time she needs much less help than you might think.

Colour is the sticking point, of course, and I imagine that there probably was a conversation in a shop fitting room somewhere that started with, "Akira, which of these colours would you say suits me best?"

Fan fiction idea, anyone? Or perhaps I should just do it myself. ;)

User avatar
Worthington
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: The Grid
Contact:

Re: How do Lilly able to wear Beautiful Clothes ?

Post by Worthington » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Irandrura wrote:
Fan fiction idea, anyone? Or perhaps I should just do it myself. ;)
Go for it. :D
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios

te-kun
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: How do Lilly able to wear Beautiful Clothes ?

Post by te-kun » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:01 am

Irandrura wrote:This is surely a nitpick, but I quibble the word 'visualise'. She doesn't visualise a dress or indeed a person's face. If you or I wore a blindfold and had to feel out the face of a stranger, we would visualise them; we would imagine what they would look like if we could see them. Lilly was born blind, so she doesn't do that. She doesn't think in terms of a visual world which she can't interact with. Rather, her 'visualisation' of Hisao's face, or of her dresses, is constructed entirely out of touch. She understands shape, texture, softness, and so on. She doesn't imagine what he would look like if she could see him.
Actually people born blind do use the parts of the brain responsible to vision, they just use it to process other senses. "Visualize" here was used in the sense of spatial notion of the object, have a mental "image" of the object.

Did you know that blind people make drawings too?
http://www.armagan.com/paintings.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%C5%9Fref_Arma%C4%9Fan

te-kun
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: How do Lilly able to wear Beautiful Clothes ?

Post by te-kun » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 am

Oh, something I found googling!
Re: are blind people intereted in clothing fashion?
Posted by marismap on 03/20/2010

I, for one, am very interested in fashion, and happen to be blind. A few of my friends, who are blind and visually impaired, are interested in fashion as well. In our culture, people look at who's hot, and who's so totally not. Fashion is about presenting oneself in a respectable way, in my opinion. Let's face it, the majority of people in this world are sighted, not blind and visually impaired. I always say to myself, "People can see me, how I dress, how I do my hair, and overall how I look, so I have to stay on top of my game as far as fashion and looks are concerned. I figure I have to present myself in what is considered an "acceptable" way by most people." Color is not only socially important (most people are sighted in this world,) but it is another way for people to express themselves, regardless of being blind, visually impaired, or sighted. I know that I enjoy imagining what all colors look like, even though I am unable to see. There are so many different colors and shades of color out there--sky blue versus navy blue, turquoise versus aquamarine versus teal, sea green versus grass green versus forest green... and on and on. Style is another important in being fashionable as well, in my opionion. I always say to myself that "I should have a style of my own, but one that is still fashionable." Style isn't just wearing the hottest clothes designed by the coolest designers, it's a person's own style that reflects who they are as a person, and their overall personality in general. As Coco Chanel said, "Fashion fades, but style always remains the same." Being fashionable is a greater challenge, at least for me, since I am blind... But I try.
http://www.afb.org/message_board_replie ... FolderID=3

Irandrura
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:29 am

Re: How do Lilly able to wear Beautiful Clothes ?

Post by Irandrura » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:14 am

te-kun wrote:Actually people born blind do use the parts of the brain responsible to vision, they just use it to process other senses. "Visualize" here was used in the sense of spatial notion of the object, have a mental "image" of the object.

Did you know that blind people make drawings too?
http://www.armagan.com/paintings.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%C5%9Fref_Arma%C4%9Fan
...wow, that's actually really interesting. Armagan's paintings are amazing.

I might have a look around for some studies on how the blind use the visual parts of the brain.

Post Reply