hisao's signing

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nekken

Re: hisao's signing

Post by Nekken »

Pl4t0 wrote:
Drake wrote:I always thought he was practicing his sign language but then started doing Ninjutsu seals, which is why Misha started laughing.
Oh god, that would be awesome.
ultrarare wrote:If I recall, sign language is not universal surprisingly.
Yeah, I seem to have heard this elsewhere, what a missed opportunity to have at least some form of universal communication on this earth.
Some of the sign languages are surprisingly old, and came about before universal communication was really considered much of a concern. ASL, for example, predates Esperanto by almost 75 years, and ASL's ancestors go back to the 1750s. As for the newer languages, it comes down to the question of what language you base it on.

And then there's Nicaraguan Sign Language. There's a fascinating story there, because the first school for the deaf in Nicaragua opened before there was a local sign language, and so they essentially crammed together a bunch of students who had previously only had their own ad-hoc systems they'd used at home, and out of this a language just sort of happened which isn't related to any spoken language at all. Linguists, needless to say, love it.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

mik4384 wrote:in shizune's cutscene hisao was trying to sign something does anyone know what's he's trying to say in sign language?
He was upset at being roped into more student council work so he tried to say, "Don't give me anymore crap, Shizune!" but he messed up and it came out as "Give me the chocolate, Shitzune!".

You're welcome. :mrgreen:

Actually, try asking this in the ASK thread. Devs show up there and answer questions so you would be more likely to get an answer there.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

Prospektor wrote:In "our" language it would probably be a mess-up like saying "I lurk you" instead of "I love you"; I'm not too familiar with sign, it may be that a slightly different move has a completely different meaning, so it would be hard to translate straight into plain English. Misha would find it amusing, nonetheless :D
well the signs for "love" and "trapped" are fairly similar (fists vs open hand during the motion) in ASL.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Well,
Aust Kyzor wrote:It's probably JSL, since Hisao doesn't do very well in English anyways.
and also:
Nekken wrote: and out of this a language just sort of happened which isn't related to any spoken language at all. Linguists, needless to say, love it.
As far as I know, no natural sign language is related into it's spoken counterpart. So knowing English, you have the same background to learn ASL, as JSL or any other.
And ASL is not to be confused with signed english (Signed Exact English or Manually Coded English), which is not a language, but a way of signing english words using english grammar. It's used mainly to learn ASL users an ordinary English.
Pl4t0 wrote:Yeah, I seem to have heard this elsewhere, what a missed opportunity to have at least some form of universal communication on this earth.
Real, live language doesn't work this way. Spoken or not. Note the way English changes from post to post on this forum, depending in which part of the world it was learned, how long and how succesfull the teacher was. And this is the global web village. In comparison sign languages tends still to be quite hermetic and local.
guest2

Post by guest2 »

That whole scene didn't even make sense to me. Shizune could see what was going on, but it later took Misha to tell her that Hisao was learning it? Hisao isn't that careless, anyway. He was doing everything he could not to let Shizune know.

Unless it was after she knew, but he was pretty fluent by then, it seemed like.

Dat eyebrow, though. hnnng
Katawa Shoujo Piano Sheet Music Project
"Jellyfish are like people to me" - Me
"OH GOD MAH DRILLS" - yipyapper
quellsnarg

Post by quellsnarg »

guest2 wrote:That whole scene didn't even make sense to me. Shizune could see what was going on, but it later took Misha to tell her that Hisao was learning it? Hisao isn't that careless, anyway. He was doing everything he could not to let Shizune know.

I thought it was more of a teaser as to what would happen than something that actually happened between the acts, like a trailer of sorts.
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly
Kirkner

Post by Kirkner »

On a off note, I found the act 2 picture pretty hilarious first time around seeing it. If they were into ninjutsu, Shizune would use the sign for instant paper pile up as seen in the picture. I found the ninjutsu suggestion rather funny as well, Hisao would be doing the sign for... iunno the counter paper pile trick? Not that Hisao doesn't like paper work, I'm taking a wild swing in context of the scene.
A Kimikiss x Katawa Shoujo comparison...
Mao - Rin... ?
Yuumi - Lily
Asuka - Emi
Eriko - Hanako
Mitsuki - Shizune
Best I could come up with strangely enough.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

guest2 wrote:That whole scene didn't even make sense to me. Shizune could see what was going on, but it later took Misha to tell her that Hisao was learning it? Hisao isn't that careless, anyway. He was doing everything he could not to let Shizune know.

With Misha sitting between them like she was in that scene Shizune might not have been able to see what Hisao was doing with his hands. For all she knew he may have been copping a feel or something. Even if she did see him trying some sign she might not realize he was actually trying to learn it since there was a scene in act 1 at the Shanghai where he tried to imitate something Shizune had signed to him to get Misha to translate it, but she refused since it was something nice.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

That scene might even be Hisao practising AFTER Shizune found out he was learning JSL.
Regarding what he signed in the scene - I don't think Mike Inel, who did that scene, has any experience with JSL and the devs didn't credit anyone as a special advisor for that either. So I guess it's just a random gesture Mike came up with.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
guest2

Post by guest2 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Regarding what he signed in the scene - I don't think Mike Inel, who did that scene, has any experience with JSL and the devs didn't credit anyone as a special advisor for that either. So I guess it's just a random gesture Mike came up with.
"Sexy no Jutsu!!1!"
Misha: Wahahaha~ ............ *nosebleed*
Katawa Shoujo Piano Sheet Music Project
"Jellyfish are like people to me" - Me
"OH GOD MAH DRILLS" - yipyapper
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

guest2 wrote: "Sexy no Jutsu!!1!"
:lol:

Shizune only looks over after he's screwed up, so maybe she didn't realize.

[Hisao is just saying 'hang on, what did that sign mean?' to Misha or something and trying to replicate it. And she's laughing, AGAIN. It's times like this I'm almost glad I'm deaf. It must drive everyone crazy.]

I think the animation bits are just a 'highlight reel'/flavouring for the stories. I don't remember any bit in the story itself where Hisao and Shizune go up to the roof at night and pass each other notes, it's there to illustrate the sort of stuff they get up to between the key events we participate in. Consider Emi's route intro: it shows them running, and then shows Hisao lifting her on his shoulders so she can pick apples, when she has her 'human' prosthetics on.