Why is Shizune's dad such a.....

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

purple haired Katawa Shoujo character

Re: Why is Shizune's dad such a.....

Post by purple haired Katawa Shoujo character »

Fronzel wrote:Comic relief.

Because Shizune's route was kind of lacking in that department.
But it wasn't funny, it was just enraging.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

Harco wrote:
Shintai wrote:
Harco wrote:Probably to liven up Shizune's route somewhat. .
Most likely, but his character is to the point of absurdity.
True. And he's very hostile. It's a sad thing, really. My first impression was: wow, dude looks cool. Big hair, lame shirt, muscles, katana... he gave of a bit of a Boisterous Bruiser vibe. Plenty of opportunities there to liven up the route in a positive way! I would've liked it if Hisao ditched Hideako and went on to drink beer and hunt bear with his future father-in-law. Alas, daddy turned out to be an asshole...

Now that I think of it, he kinda looks like an inversion of Jecht from Final Fantasy X. They look really similar, I think. The inversion is that Jecht started out as a jackass, but became more sympathetic as time went on, whereas Jigoro started out as nice and turned into a jackass in a matter of seconds.
I have to agree, when I saw him I thought he was cool too. I was hoping he was gonna act like Akio, Nagisa's dad from Clannad, who has got to be one of the most awesome dad's ever. However, yeah, I can see Jecht too, but I dont entirely agree with Jecht being a jackass and turning into a decent guy. The way I see it, he was also a pretty decent guy, if a bit arrogant, but Tidus had misplaced daddy issues and exaggerated his faults. If you pay attention to the story, the fault more lies within his mother, and not his father, yet he chooses to blame him anyways.

I digress, this isn't about FFX, this is about Jigoro, and how he's a complete tool.
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

I couldn't disagree more with the sweatervests. They are the offspring of casual and class. One could wear a sweatervest to any event.

Anyways, I found Jigoro very effective as his role in comedic relief. I found myself laughing at every one of his scenes.
I think what's funny about him is his contrast with his family, while everyone else is pretty reserved and "proper"(?) he is loud rowdy and lacking in class...
His confidence and arrogance was also really epic.
I think it's also because he is in the mould of your everyday stereotypical douchebag. It's enjoyable to see such a lifelike character in the story xD
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi

Post by Guest »

If you read The Answer, also by a22 (from memory), Jigoro's character is basically 100% the same as the whiny, annoying, insecure and overly judging main character, Arthur Proxy.

The fact that Arthur spends the entire time in The Answer badmouthing what he perceives as terrible writing and VN writers who think they are above their medium, and then in KS the same basic character spends the entire time calling Hisao, Shizune, and anyone else in earshot terrible awful people and picking fights with them, I'll leave up to you to interpret.
Darkish-One

Post by Darkish-One »

I actually met a person like that, it because when you're older and have at least done something you have experience and think you're better then everyone else. You're right they're wrong about everything that's all that's to it... even though that's total bull. Hell I'm 24 and a 8 year old down the street knows more about some crap then I do, and I think he's a super hacker to. >_>

The dude just expects everything to be the way he wants it no ifs, ands, or buts.

Post by Guest »

Where can I read "The Answer"? If the main character is just Jigoro, I want to read it pretty badly.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Where can I read "The Answer"? If the main character is just Jigoro, I want to read it pretty badly.
There's a link in the sidebar of the blog. It's not a great read, but I sincerely doubt it was developed to be one.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

purple haired Katawa Shoujo character wrote:
Fronzel wrote:Comic relief.

Because Shizune's route was kind of lacking in that department.
But it wasn't funny, it was just enraging.
It was both. He's like a real-life Internet troll; he says things to get you riled up and often succeeds, but at the same time he's so ridiculous you can't take him too seriously. Also I just realized that I should not have used "like a real-life x" to describe a VN character, but anything else would have been just as awkward.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Fuck knows why, but I decided to browse the thread I apparently have the most posts in to see why the hell that is. Found this.

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1956&start=150
G3n0c1de wrote:
U.T. Raptor wrote:
Caesius wrote:Who the fuck is Jigoro?
Apparently a character from the full game.
If I meet Jigoro in the full game... I'm going to feel a bit uncomfortable.
This was eerily precient. I felt I had to point it out somewhere.

Now I'm going to be uncomfortable if Genocide sees this post.
Random Kiwi

Post by Random Kiwi »

I'm kinda on the fence with raging jerkface father characters.
On one hand, hiimdaisy has taught me that those kinds of dads are the best kinds (see: Zak Gramarye, Ryotaro Doujima, Lord Cabbage, etc)... But on the other hand, I still couldn't help but feel at least a bit ticked off whenever he popped up.

Maybe it was because of the way he acted towards Shizune and Hideaki. Or maybe it was the dig against sweater-vests, I'unno.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Ukotaku wrote:....Faggot? is there a reason why he picks a fight with almost every character he meets?

and worse of all, he bad mouths the sweater.....thats going too far......
He's ashamed of Shizune's disability and thinks behaving that way shows what a manly man he is and that it's her mothers' fault she didn't turn out as perfect of a human speciman as he is. That's also probably why he and Lilly's parents hate each other since he blames that side of the family for his daughter's imperfection. He is so ashamed of her that he tried to pay people to make her 'normal' instead of caring enough for her to learn how to communicate with her himself. Basicly he's just a sad excuse of a man and a father.