Would love to see a KS 2 someday

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Rubytyr

Would love to see a KS 2 someday

Post by Rubytyr »

Still Hisao as the MC; but as the next "the next step"
Game could have a reliance on what arcs you've completed in KS (good ending only) and open what starting point you want for the story (through the main menu); Hanako, Shizune, etc~

It could be their story leading from that transitonal stage of highschool to career/college/whatever; and how they overcome the ordeals of a less static life (without the security of highschool)

I guess it would be considered more of an expansion then a sequal; but I'd love to see their individual stories unfold beyond the "first major trial" - becuase sadly, life is never so simply as a 1-time fix and then happy ending, two people have to work hard togerther to make it last. :)

thats my hope; but thats also just the longing of a reader not willing to put down a finished book, too i soppose.

EDIT: touched it up abit (didnt like some wording)
Yuno

Re: Would love to see a KS 2 someday

Post by Yuno »

Maybe some day. I can't imagine how many people would crap their pants a few years down the line when a trailer came out for the game. I knew when I heard that Katawa Shoujo itself was being released, I gasped IRL.
Rubytyr

Post by Rubytyr »

Heh, I jsut simply stumbled across it while surfing around - completely fluke, a day after it's release.

Thought I doubt anything furtehr will be done, just finished reading through their blog, looks like their are content to leave KS where it ends. Maybe I will have to start up some fanfic ...hmmm..
TheGrimAngel

Post by TheGrimAngel »

I think if there is a KS2 I want it to have the same setting as the 1st one, but an entirely different main character and girls. Maybe it takes place a couple years later and some of the staff, like The Nurse or Yuuko still remember Hisao and will make some references to how you (the new main character) are just like he was when he first came here, but how he also turned it around and ended up finding love, being delibrately vague since there were 5 different people who you could fall in love with in KS1.
Why pick a favorite character? Each of the story was beautiful and touching in its own unique way.
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

Rubytyr wrote:Heh, I jsut simply stumbled across it while surfing around - completely fluke, a day after it's release.

Thought I doubt anything furtehr will be done, just finished reading through their blog, looks like their are content to leave KS where it ends. Maybe I will have to start up some fanfic ...hmmm..
Well, I don't think anything further would be done either. However, the actual existence of KS is just a tremendous feat in itself. If a sequel came out, I think people would literally have heart attacks of their own.
Evvinartopski

Post by Evvinartopski »

As much as I'd like to say NOPENOPENOPE, I suppose a sidestory could be awesome, where you play as Taro hitting on all the ladies in your class that didn't get through Hisao's preferences, putting itching powder on Emi's prosthetics, prankcalling Lilly from 'Scotland', and interacting with Hisao the same way as how the former MC was handled in Apollo Justice.

Hot
Arivien

Post by Arivien »

I'd love a KS 2 as well, even if the devs say it'll never happen, a guy can dream, right?

I'd like it to be handled in much the same way as TheGrimAngel does: new characters, same setting.
Hanako>Lilly=Rin>>>>Emi>Shizune.

Akira = Miki > Kenji > Yuuko > Hideaki > Everyone Else >>>>>>>>> Jigoro.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Possible, but remember that KS had a lot of variation between its romances. Doing the whole same setting, new characters thing would be difficult without rehashing ideas. I completely respect the devs decision to not make a sequel. Some side stories would be nice though.
geno93n0

Post by geno93n0 »

Great idea, but I'm pretty sure that 4LS has stated that KS will be the only game they produce as the entity they currently are.

Either way, I'd like to see what it's like through, say, Kenji's eyes. Have him be the MC, there's huge potential for character development there. I don't really know how many VN's have had misogynistic/chauvinistic protagonists, though.

Have him interact with Miki, and the other kids in the blind/partially blind class. Hell, you could even make it just Miki and have a dozen different endings ranging from accidental pregnancy to happily-ever-after to suicide. As long as Miki's in it :)
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

Personally I think after the way KS ended any further direction from the original would be rather... plain?

If it was a new story with different characters it would be interesting, but KS seems like "The Gold Trophy" and anything that follows it would have to settle for silver or bronze.
With something as Radical as KS, it would be hard to "wow" people again (Not that i think that the devs aren't capable of pulling it off again). The original content of said sequel or expansion would have to be somewhat completely new to make fans fall in love again...

That being said, I'd like to see the main cast of this KS as side characters in the sequel. For example since Misha and Hisao stated they'd like to teach at Yamaku in the future, it's be cool to see Hisao replace Mutou or something.
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
Nivrin

Post by Nivrin »

I think it's like a good movie, you just shouldn't make a sequel. I would be fine with a spiritual successor, which I think is the most likely course of action if 4LS does indeed decide to make another game (highly unlikely).

A VN with different characters, different setting, but treads on similar themes present in the "predecessor". A straight up sequel wouldn't do, not with how the story arcs in KS end. They're all good, satisfying, complete endings.
The sky changes every day but it always stays the same. Humans don't have that luxury.

Haphazardly butchered together from the immortal words of Rin.
Smoky

Post by Smoky »

Personally, I think it should be like this:

You start off as Hisao's son, and you are attending for a similar reason, it's the last year like in KS. Now, you see a older version of Hisao telling him that his mother is already in the car, waiting, and that he knows that this school will "treat you as good as it treated me". The mother is never shown. The rest continues like KS, just with some more paths and...how should we say, oddball characters. Misha would be able to make a cameo, maybe Nurse as well, and even Yuuko might. They could even reference his parents when they were in school.
"Maybe people like butterfly vomit." - Rin
FrozenKimchi

Post by FrozenKimchi »

to be honest, I can't really imagine a direct sequel to Katawa Shoujo

high school is the glory days of Japanese life where you can easily make friends and be together
college is usually the biggest divider in separating people
especially since all the girls are different and Hisao is different in each route
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

It'll likely never happen, and even if it does it probably wouldn't be by the same team.

That said, if it did, I'd like to see something set only a couple of years after. Still an entirely new set of principals, completely unrelated to the old crew, though the old principals might still have other, minor roles. Hisao, at least, should be teaching science at Yamaku (perhaps in his first year, with Mutou as his mentor). Yuuko finally got enough saved up to start going to a university nearby: she still waitresses at the Shanghai, but has quit her job as librarian at Yamaku. Kenji disappeared never to be seen again, but can be found living in some kind of survivalist camp in the woods as an Easter egg.

As for what to do with the girls from KS1, there's enough information in the plotlines to make an Acme Looniversity setup, if a bit contrived, at least plausible. Lilly and Misha are also back teaching (English and sign language, respectively). Hanako took over as librarian when Yuuko quit. Emi is interning as an assistant to the nurse. Shizune's meteoric rise in the business world has landed her, among other places, on the board of trustees. Rin bought the art gallery with the proceeds from several of her early sales, and now exhibits her art and that of other Yamaku students and alumni. All six of them remember "precious friendships" with Hisao, but it is never stated outright which path, if any, was canon.
Reiraku

Post by Reiraku »

I think I'd much rather see a KS 1.5, where you can choose to be Hisao and run the standard KS line or a separate character for all the side paths we'd like to see (Miki, Akira, Misha).