I'm wondering about a song in game...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CowPrint

I'm wondering about a song in game...

Post by CowPrint »

I've recently listened over most of the music in the game, and one of the most eye-catching titles to me is, "Nocturne." The reason this is so eye-catching to me is because i really love classical piano music, and knowing that Nocturne is a song played by one of my most personal favorite pianists, I couldn't help but wonder. I notice some similarities, so I can't help but wonder if the music in-game was inspired by Chopin. To me, it almost sounds like some parts are from the song, but in a little bit of a reverse order. I thought I would get other people's opinions on this, so I would be happy to know what you guys think.

Here's Frederic's "Nocturne,"
yuastnav

Re: I'm wondering about a song in game...

Post by yuastnav »

In my opinion it is a bit difficult to tell.
I think I can see vaguely where you are coming from but to me this particular piece of Chopin is definitely a piece from the romantic era but the Nocturne from the game is even more so. Apart from that the Nocturne from KS has also some jazzy influences that are hinted at when the drums begin to play but really come into play at the end of second third (well, approximately, not too sure at the moment).
These two pieces may be related but that is probably mostly because they can be attributed to the same era (while the ingame Nocturn, of course, is more modern).
"[...] it's just a ride."
Carnificus

Post by Carnificus »

Yeah it's very similar, I don't think there's much doubt that it was inspired by the original, it' just got a bit of a new spin on the song.
"Stories never begin nor do they end. They are comprised of people living, an endless cycle of interacting, influencing each other, and parting ways. As long as stories are told they shall not have clear endings." -Vice President Gustav St. Germain
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

It's similar because it's a Nocturne. A Nocturne is a type of piece evocative of night. Chopin actually wrote loads. About 20 of them I think.

I'm guessing the similarities lie in the melodic shaping and the accompaniment being mostly arpeggiated?

Personally I preferred Chopin's etudes but that's because I alway fancy a challenge. Not that I'm good enough to play more than a couple but piano was never my first instrument. Chopin man, not played that stuff since College.