Five behaviours expected from the player

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Palas

Five behaviours expected from the player

Post by Palas »

Just some thoughts.

It is interesting that each path tries to stress a particular behaviour expected from you if you want to be a nice boyfriend for the girl. Lilly's arc is the most blatant example - all the choices that really matter to get her good ending involve not only not lying to her, but also opening up and trusting her completely, instead of holding your thoughts to yourself. You could say every girl in the world likes boys who talks about their inner turmoils - actually, girls like honesty. However, such virtue is tested in her arc more than once.

In Emi's path you are defied to let her be in her own way. Omnipresent guys come across as possessive and manipulative. Therefore, can't we say that her whole path is dedicated to test your ability in letting matters take their course and respecting personal space? Here, the player learns that being there for her doesn't exactly mean asking her how she is feeling all the time or following her in her own house when she's having a goddamn breakdown.

Somehow, this balances the behaviour expected from you in Hanako's route. There, you have to make a little effort to get her to like you and show her that you truly care. If you want to be her boyfriend, you first gotta be her friend equal. And, for that, you have to coax her into your world, your activities and your thoughts. It takes effort to pique her interest, but you have to or she'll acknowledge you as just a good samaritan - this leading to her bad ending.

Haven't read Rin's path yet and Shizune's arc has only one chocie to make, that comes down to not cheating on the girl. Fidelity is expected from you as well by every girl you happen to meet, for God's sake.

Now, the point is: All of the aforementioned traits are indispensable for any man who wants to keep a woman by his side. However, the different accentuations were meant to be so just to keep the game fresh or are a result of each writer's personality and views on what's really important if you want to get the girl?
Last edited by Palas on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
purple haired Katawa Shoujo character

Re: Five behaviours expected from the player

Post by purple haired Katawa Shoujo character »

What's really important is the sex. Bad sex = no girl = no sex. You can be the biggest douche in the world and still get the ladies with your wang. So just fuck them, even if you have to rape them, as long as they are pleasured, they will fall for you.
Palas

Post by Palas »

(Un)fortunately, the player has no control over that bit.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

I dont think Hisao differs due to the writer's personality.
Actually is more like Hisao changed; to be suitable for the girl he love.

Not to mention, in real life examples, most of the time we will get influenced by our peers.
Ended up, we use their 'language', type of jokes and even way of conduct.
To bond better with our friends :)
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
Palas

Post by Palas »

Snelx wrote:I dont think Hisao differs due to the writer's personality.
Actually is more like Hisao changed; to be suitable for the girl he love.

Not to mention, in real life examples, most of the time we will get influenced by our peers.
Ended up, we use their 'language', type of jokes and even way of conduct.
To bond better with our friends :)
It's not about Hisao, it's about you. How the game wants you to act in order to give you the good ending.
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

Palas wrote: It's not about Hisao, it's about you. How the game wants you to act in order to give you the good ending.

Hmm. i think i misread it in ur post before u edit.

Unless i'm wrong again,
what i think is that certain traits are more favored by different girls.

when i related to real life,
i know some girls prefer their boyfriends as some kind of protector kind. Strong-build etc.
Some prefer those who will not spam her with sms asking where is she 24hours. Doesn't really mind about build.

So i think what is the most important to get the girl,
depends on the girl herself..
hence, it could be the author's view of what is the more important trait to have, to build a closer bond with the girl

Of course,
no girls will like boyfriends who lies. :?
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
Snow

Post by Snow »

Odd, I picked to follow Emi and got a good end...
Something like Follow + Argument + Depression + Apology + Good End?

That part was really a tough decision. I was thinking it would be better to let her blow off her steam and give her some space.

But the game seemed to be pushing me to get involved. Like, for the vast majority of the time, your character [outside of your control] keeps bugging Emi about the subject. And constantly says stuff like "Are you okay, you can rely on me if you need help." Which is good in all, but when it makes up 30% of all dialogue, is pretty bad. And therefore, in keeping in line with the game character's actions, I tried to get the good ending by picking the most likely answer.

Also, I thought it would be good to force the subject. My character seemed to be getting awfully distraught on the whole subject, and having an argument explode is better earlier than later, where all that pent up anxiety makes things worse.

Am I completely wrong? I think I might be completely wrong here.