Adult scenes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
too lazy to pick a name

Re: Adult scenes

Post by too lazy to pick a name » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:30 am

Rubytyr wrote:
Not sure why Hanako's scene was the only one with explicit penetration

Im probably just reading into it - but when I think on it, I feel it was done that way to remind the reader just how astutely self-aware both Hisao and Hanako were during the act (I cant recall exactly the description, but i remember it being something like " Hanako's face was turned to me, but her eyes were aimed lower, to the area joining us".
This. I think the artist and writer wanted to bring across the purely physical side of what they were doing and the discomfort it brought the both of them, as opposed to all the emotional things that were going on with Hanako before.

Guest Poster

Re: Adult scenes

Post by Guest Poster » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:41 am

That said... I really disliked Hanako's H scene. It was too graphic and 'porn' for my tastes... clearly from the previous comments I am a minority in this preference though.
The scene itself was very powerful and one of my favourites. But I could have done without the first person POV penetration shot, it was the only thing that turned me off (if ever so slightly). I was kinda relieved this was avoided in the other routes. It's possible this is just a personal artistic choice Weee made.

User avatar
Yuno
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by Yuno » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:55 am

I'm glad the devs took away any opportunities for "cripple porn", that's ridiculous.

I thought Rin's scenes were well done and fit her character.

User avatar
encrypted12345
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by encrypted12345 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:46 am

Yuno wrote:I'm glad the devs took away any opportunities for "cripple porn", that's ridiculous.

I thought Rin's scenes were well done and fit her character.
True, but no matter how you look at it Blind fold sex with a blind person is amazing erotic. No wonder his heart nearly gave out.

I think that all the H scenes were well done. Plot with Porn is easy. Porn with Plot however, is much harder.

Ry74
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by Ry74 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:58 am

Yeah, one thing I've noticed is that Hisao is actually pretty adventurous when it comes to this sort of thing.

User avatar
NomadicElectron
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by NomadicElectron » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:58 pm

I've only really played a few other VNs with any kind of sex scenes and they usually seem tacked on in kind of a "Here, I suppose we should give you these." manner with all the girls being little more than boner-polishing machines for no real reason. The adult scenes in KS were very well integrated with the storyline and fit each character and felt, not only tasteful, but integral to the storyline.

Emi: Her scene showed that she was, unsurprisingly, forward. She had shown before that when she has a goal she goes for it, in this case you were her goal, but it was also playful and loving. The second scene (you know the one) showed a daring and experimental side. The experimentation was a failure, but Emi shows through it all she still had fun with you. Both scenes were very Emi. Emi at her Emiest, even.

Hanako: Her scene is uncomfortable for everybody involved. She doesn't look like she enjoys it, only is going through the motions - something that it turns out is exactly what is happening. Hanako's sincere doubt that anybody, particularly Hisao, could see her as anything more than a friend caused her to believe that having sex with Hisao was the only way to keep him interested in her. It illustrated Hanako's deep issues she has with her own self-image and also her frustration with the fact that those around her tend to be more concerned with protecting her rather than getting close to her.

Lilly: I felt the story between Lilly and HIsao was the most classical love story of the 5, replete with the ol' gotta-catch-her-at-the-airport trope (though with the looming threat of arrhythmia being a new twist on it). The sex scenes here reflect this, they're full of a youthful passion and lust, but the kind of lust that two people deeply in love would share. Also the blindfold scene is totally hot.

Rin: Both of Rin's scenes were very reflective of her mindset at that time. The first one was dark as Rin has been trying to plumb the depths of her very soul desperately trying to find inspiration for her art and decided to "destroy" herself. As when she smoked the cigarettes, sex with Hisao seemed to be another step in her path of self-destruction. The second scene, however, something happened between them. There's more tenderness and the intention of the act isn't simply to further her art and find something within her self, it seemed like more of a reaction to something she already found within herself - that she wanted to be close to Hisao. The scene is a lot more tender and passionate because of this and illustrates the change in dynamic.

Shizune: Her first scene illustrates Shizune's domineering personality at the time perfectly. She initiates everything and ties you to a chair. Even sex at this point is a game where Shizune places herself in a position of total dominance. Later though, she shows she's trying to change. She's still very aggressive, but she's willing to allow a lot more give and take. Your hands are untied and at one point she even allows Hisao to take control of the moment as well. Also, Misha: Misha's scene is short, but the confused and regretful nature of the interaction is always in center stage.

Also, the implementation of the scenes themselves were tasteful, usually keeping the *ahem* good bits obscured, where a game that was focusing on being more pornographic would have taken the "HEY, CHECK IT OUT, YOU CAN SEE HER CERVIX!" approach.
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune

User avatar
Shintai
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Adult scenes

Post by Shintai » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Aust Kyzor wrote:ISometimes I feel that the ero scenes don't fit in a visual novel, like Fate/Stay Night or Shuffle! for examples - but here, they seem to fit a lot better, there's (mostly) a purpose to them
Shuffle I can see, although I hated that VN with a passion regardless, but I actually felt, for the most part the sex scenes in Fate/Stay Night were integrated pretty well. The only one that didn't mesh well to me was the threesome between Saber, Rin and Shirou. Honestly I felt that was done only to spice up the Fate route, since it's the weakest of the 3, but other than that one, I felt most of them made sense.

As for Katawa Shoujo itself, I've beaten Emi, Rin and Shizune so far, and I liked the adult scenes. They were integrated pretty well, especially Emi's. I say that because it felt to me that Emi was using sex in a way to run away from her problems, mainly shutting up Hisao as to no get too emotionally close

User avatar
Rubytyr
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:10 am

Re: Adult scenes

Post by Rubytyr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:24 pm

NomadicElectron wrote:I've only really played a few other VNs with any kind of sex scenes and they usually seem tacked on in kind of a "Here, I suppose we should give you these." manner with all the girls being little more than boner-polishing machines for no real reason. The adult scenes in KS were very well integrated with the storyline and fit each character and felt, not only tasteful, but integral to the storyline.

Emi: Her scene showed that she was, unsurprisingly, forward. She had shown before that when she has a goal she goes for it, in this case you were her goal, but it was also playful and loving. The second scene (you know the one) showed a daring and experimental side. The experimentation was a failure, but Emi shows through it all she still had fun with you. Both scenes were very Emi. Emi at her Emiest, even.

Hanako: Her scene is uncomfortable for everybody involved. She doesn't look like she enjoys it, only is going through the motions - something that it turns out is exactly what is happening. Hanako's sincere doubt that anybody, particularly Hisao, could see her as anything more than a friend caused her to believe that having sex with Hisao was the only way to keep him interested in her. It illustrated Hanako's deep issues she has with her own self-image and also her frustration with the fact that those around her tend to be more concerned with protecting her rather than getting close to her.

Lilly: I felt the story between Lilly and HIsao was the most classical love story of the 5, replete with the ol' gotta-catch-her-at-the-airport trope (though with the looming threat of arrhythmia being a new twist on it). The sex scenes here reflect this, they're full of a youthful passion and lust, but the kind of lust that two people deeply in love would share. Also the blindfold scene is totally hot.

Rin: Both of Rin's scenes were very reflective of her mindset at that time. The first one was dark as Rin has been trying to plumb the depths of her very soul desperately trying to find inspiration for her art and decided to "destroy" herself. As when she smoked the cigarettes, sex with Hisao seemed to be another step in her path of self-destruction. The second scene, however, something happened between them. There's more tenderness and the intention of the act isn't simply to further her art and find something within her self, it seemed like more of a reaction to something she already found within herself - that she wanted to be close to Hisao. The scene is a lot more tender and passionate because of this and illustrates the change in dynamic.

Shizune: Her first scene illustrates Shizune's domineering personality at the time perfectly. She initiates everything and ties you to a chair. Even sex at this point is a game where Shizune places herself in a position of total dominance. Later though, she shows she's trying to change. She's still very aggressive, but she's willing to allow a lot more give and take. Your hands are untied and at one point she even allows Hisao to take control of the moment as well. Also, Misha: Misha's scene is short, but the confused and regretful nature of the interaction is always in center stage.

Also, the implementation of the scenes themselves were tasteful, usually keeping the *ahem* good bits obscured, where a game that was focusing on being more pornographic would have taken the "HEY, CHECK IT OUT, YOU CAN SEE HER CERVIX!" approach.

Very well said; I think that analysis is right on the mark - at least how I preceived each scene.

One thing I'll add - having had time to reflect on the arcs abit now that im done (finished Rins last, it was very draining, emotionally)
The sexual encounter between Shizune and Hisao show levels of trust, and the distance she keeps people from herself; so while "give and take" is one aspect, the other is that she trusts him enough to even LET him have any control. At a glance it seemed like just another H-scene, but when you put her fears and hopes into perspective, it does add to her scenes.

geno93n0
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by geno93n0 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:04 pm

NomadicElectron wrote:Also, the implementation of the scenes themselves were tasteful, usually keeping the *ahem* good bits obscured, where a game that was focusing on being more pornographic would have taken the "HEY, CHECK IT OUT, YOU CAN SEE HER CERVIX!" approach.
I've heard that tests show that obscuring the good bits actually leads to heightened arousal on the part of the viewer, because they have to use their imagination. Does make sense, though. Better to not see it and think it looks like your ideal one instead of potentially being disappointed over what it really looks like.
Guest wrote:You guys are missing the fuck out. Who the fuck actually reads the ero scenes instead of partaking in delicious sensor melons and shrimp.
Tried disabling H scenes, I got barbecued chicken o.O
The Local Hentai wrote:Not sure why Hanako's scene was the only one with explicit penetration (cg) but all scenes were equivalent to a romance movie's softcore scenes.
Explicit penetration and exposure above the R rating, whereas the others had none. I actually liked her scene the most, though more because of the stockings and Hanako's general cuteness than the scene's general expliciticity-ness.

Ry74
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by Ry74 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 pm

geno93n0 wrote: Explicit penetration and exposure above the R rating, whereas the others had none. I actually liked her scene the most, though more because of the stockings and Hanako's general cuteness than the scene's general expliciticity-ness.
I actually liked it the most at the time that I hit it as it was the first time I had encountered a sex scene being used as something other than a metaphorical quest reward.

geno93n0
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by geno93n0 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Ry74 wrote:
geno93n0 wrote: Explicit penetration and exposure above the R rating, whereas the others had none. I actually liked her scene the most, though more because of the stockings and Hanako's general cuteness than the scene's general expliciticity-ness.
I actually liked it the most at the time that I hit it as it was the first time I had encountered a sex scene being used as something other than a metaphorical quest reward.
I know, right. Which is why KS is now my gold standard for judging all future VN's I'll ever play. From the beginning, I never thought that there were any ero scenes at all, until I checked the Options page; I went into the game not desiring them but got them anyway, but they were much, much more creative than what I had been used to. Though truth be told, I've only ever played about 8 VNs in total, 3 of them eroge including this one. Luckily, though, they were all varied titles in terms of both gameplay and story, and through anime and manga I've learned a lot more about VN's than I thought I would.

lushwell
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by lushwell » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:07 pm

In the end, I'm right on the fence about it all.

However, I was very reluctant when the sex started creeping into my experience. I love sex, (as I'm sure many people do) but I really love the initial attraction, the unknown, that first spark in a relationship. I just wish I could have stayed in that state of young romance longer.

In Lilly's scene I was surprised thinking something like, "WHAT?! already?..." but in Hanako's scene... I was actually saying "No no no no nonononononono" out loud as I skimmed through the text. I think I kind of replaced the sex with a nice little evening cuddle... maybe some kissing... haha... So many times in the VN I could relate to Hisao's decisions but there were also quite a few times I wished I was in full control. I really felt something for Hanako and I didn't want sex to complicate the relationship... damn I got a little too into this... My first VN lol oh how I shall remember thee <3

Handle
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by Handle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:11 am

Ry74 wrote:Yeah, one thing I've noticed is that Hisao is actually pretty adventurous when it comes to this sort of thing.
is he? I think its more because he's submissive. Haven't done Emis or Hanako yet, but so far, every scene is the girl initiating it. As a man, he didn't refuse.

User avatar
Aust Kyzor
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Adult scenes

Post by Aust Kyzor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Speaking of the censor thingy when you disable the adult content - I got fish. LOTS AND LOTS OF FISH.

I picked Rin's 2nd one in the library just to see the censor - THIS MEANS SOMETHING
Manual breathing activated!

Lilly=Emi>>>Hanako=Shizune=Rin=Misha

In terms of STORY, on the other hand - so far:
Lilly's>Emi's>>>>Rin's>>>>>>>>Shizune's>Hanako's

Complete: Hanako, Rin, Shizune, Emi, Lilly
What now? Now I cry over how beautiful the whole thing was.

User avatar
Nyarly
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Germany

Re: Adult scenes

Post by Nyarly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:23 pm

So far, I only saw Hanako's and Lilly's (although I'm not sure if there are more sex scenes with her as I haven't finished her route yet) and thought that they are well written. Especially Hanako's scene. Sure, it was awkward and felt wrong, but that was obviously the point.

Post Reply