Odds of KS getting a sequel?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Rykthrall

Re: Odds of KS getting a sequel?

Post by Rykthrall »

Pointedly, 2 fan teams are already preparing to making a spiritual successor to KS.
And another group has been inspired and are creating ideas for an original VN.

Post by Guest »

The Local Hentai wrote:Any devkits/resourcing going to be released? Because with enough patience, a new team could write up a story and use the old stuff (giving credit where it's due of course) to make a brand new VN. Backgrounds seem easy enough to replicate since they are based off real location.
I was under the impression that this goes against the Creative Commons license.
Oscuras

Post by Oscuras »

Rykthrall wrote:Pointedly, 2 fan teams are already preparing to making a spiritual successor to KS.

What groups would these be?
Bix

Post by Bix »

Oscuras wrote:
Rykthrall wrote:Pointedly, 2 fan teams are already preparing to making a spiritual successor to KS.

And how can I help them?
**Library 99% complete.**
1. Emi *Done*
2. Rin *Done*
3. Shizune *Done*
4. Hanako *Done*
5. Lilly *Done*
TheGrimAngel

Post by TheGrimAngel »

The Local Hentai wrote:Any devkits/resourcing going to be released? Because with enough patience, a new team could write up a story and use the old stuff (giving credit where it's due of course) to make a brand new VN. Backgrounds seem easy enough to replicate since they are based off real location.
No need for a dev kit, the program used to make the game is free to download online, and the website is full of tutorials on howto make a game using the engine. Currently 2 teams are working towards making VN inspired by Katawa Shoujo, only inspired, the teams are not allowed to re use anything from KS, just the concept of disabled people. Both teams have already started actively recruiting for people to work on the projects, and both are turning out to be very different from each other.

Honeymuffin is working towards a VN focused on girls with mental disorders, Schizophrenia, DID, bi-polar, etc. He has a thread on this forum about his ideas and you can contact him about details if you are interested in joining.

The other group I am a part of. There are about 8 of us from this forum so far who have joined up to make a new VN, and we have gone a completely different direction. That is all we are willing to say now I believe. We are not actively recruiting members yet as we are still in the planning phases for everything, but if anyone is interested they can PM me and we can talk.
Why pick a favorite character? Each of the story was beautiful and touching in its own unique way.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

I don't think 4Leaf ain't gonna do a sequel. They stated themselves as soon as KS was fully release, this was it and they're gonna disband or something like that. And hey, they deserve to take a nice break and not work for a while. Five years is a long time when working on these kinda projects.

Now, I'm stealing this idea from somebody from this place and I agree with them: I think people should wait until the KS hype has died down to make a VN just like it and try to cash in on the success. Unless you're legit serious about it and have the passion, the network, the right people, and drive, I would wait and not try to do an unofficial sequel, spiritual sucessor, or a completely original game based on the ideas of KS. This is how many projects like KS can fail because people think "Oh, if these groups of gents and ladies could do it, than so can I." It's good to think like that and I'm not trying to discourage anyone, I'm just keeping it real.
Rykthrall

Post by Rykthrall »

Bix wrote:
Oscuras wrote:

And how can I help them?
Check the later pages: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5067

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5161

I'm not sure where the Original VN thread went.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

idle observer wrote:Well technically there's nothing stopping anyone from making their own sequel.
This is true as far as it goes, but aside from being profoundly disrespectful and childish, it is also illegal.
Last time I checked KS wasn't copyrighted or anything like that.
Actually, it is. That's how the Creative Commons licenses work, and they've chosen the license they offer that does not allow for derivative works. They look the other way for some things, but other VNs, including sequels, cross the line. They've already stated that.
The_Thing

Post by The_Thing »

Since this virtual novel has myriad endings to choose from, it leaves the ones who experience it to the end to imagine the possibilities. It's a shame that one cannot automatically create a sequel for him/herself through the mind and make it hop into the simulator, but some day in the future I think that will be very possible.

So my outlook is "no," but despite that it was well worth checking out and reading it.