What's up with all the hate?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Terrato

Re: What's up with all the hate?

Post by Terrato »

Rivan wrote:God, they can really be a bunch of weird people can't they?
that they can, truely a shame; but is that our culture talking or just me :P
Peorth
Zenryoku Zenkai!

Post by Peorth »

Gelbooru's userbase is a bag of dicks, pretty much.

Source: I'm a Gelbooru mod.
Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stopped, the story will not end.

Whether it's a comedy or a tragedy, if there is cheering, the story will continue on.
Just like the many lives.
For the us who are still in it and still in the journey, send warm blessings.

---We will continue to walk down this path until eternity.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

So im lost ... sex with lilly ( who is willing , over 18 but blind ) is offensive in japan ... but raping a 13 year old minor who is healthly ( in rapelay ) is non offensive or less offensive then KS ??
Carnificus

Post by Carnificus »

I don't think the issue is entirely with the title as much as the content itself. Admittedly I may have not played this game had I known what it was when I downloaded it, because quite frankly it sounds weird, there's a lot of VN's out there and a lot of H-content but none of it really deals with something of this subject matter. After I downloaded the game and the manual came up with the list of heroines I scrolled through and kind of had a "what the fuck?" reaction, but I gave it a shot and within the first five minutes I was immediately sucked in and the fact that it dealt with disabled girls never bothered me. But most people aren't going to try the game because of the content, I'm not sure you can really hold it against them as much as norms of society.
"Stories never begin nor do they end. They are comprised of people living, an endless cycle of interacting, influencing each other, and parting ways. As long as stories are told they shall not have clear endings." -Vice President Gustav St. Germain
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

rydiafan wrote:So im lost ... sex with lilly ( who is willing , over 18 but blind ) is offensive in japan ... but raping a 13 year old minor who is healthly ( in rapelay ) is non offensive or less offensive then KS ??
Depends on the language you'd use. In Japan, it's common to attribute different levels of negativity or vulgarity to different words and as such, they wouldn't describe both of the games as "offensive" in the same sense. However, Rapelay, as a title, bears no social stigma. The word "katawa" does. The question of playing - assuming there is an alive, wise person that knows what both games are about, he is far more likely to say Rapelay is the bad, ofensive one, and only mention Katawa Shoujo as "an ok game with a sh*tty title".

But to the average Japanese guy who plays eroge and visits booru sites (who is by no means the average japanese PERSON), Katawa Shoujo is a game with an offensive title that concerns a weird fetish that he'd consider disgusting, whereas Rapelay is a game in which you can have sex with hot chicks with the added thrill of overpowering them and then breaking them to be your willling sex slaves - a valid fantasy, unlike having sex with a girl with burns, or missing some limbs...

Terrible to us due to the cultural barrier, but I always try to see both sides of the coin, or however you put it. In the broad perspective, we are probably on the right side, but there are reasons for them behaving the way they are.

Ps. Oh, just to explain myself : I doubt I'd find many 13 year old girls "Hot". At least I hope so. For my own sake.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
Terrato

Post by Terrato »

Carnificus wrote:I don't think the issue is entirely with the title as much as the content itself. Admittedly I may have not played this game had I known what it was when I downloaded it, because quite frankly it sounds weird, there's a lot of VN's out there and a lot of H-content but none of it really deals with something of this subject matter. After I downloaded the game and the manual came up with the list of heroines I scrolled through and kind of had a "what the fuck?" reaction, but I gave it a shot and within the first five minutes I was immediately sucked in and the fact that it dealt with disabled girls never bothered me. But most people aren't going to try the game because of the content, I'm not sure you can really hold it against them as much as norms of society.
my friend told me "Theres a new Visual Novel from 4Chan, Katawa Shoujo... (continuing on to discuss what its about and the meaning of the title.)" I didn't hesitate to click the download button. And i didn't hesitate when i picked up To Kill a Mockingbird... am i one of the only ones that avoids judging a book by its cover... or in this case title?
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Where is the common sense ?? lol

I know im outta the loop ... sex with elves, catgirls , fairys , young girls and the undead ( most commons ones i can think of ) is in most popular VN's / H games i played so far ... i still find it hard the title " Katawa Shoujo " pisses ppl of in Japan
Pata Hikari

Post by Pata Hikari »

Wow, I went to gelbooru and you're right. There are basically some trolls doing malicious downvoting of any KS themed picture. The mods there should do something about it.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

rydiafan wrote:Where is the common sense ?? lol

I know im outta the loop ... sex with elves, catgirls , fairys , young girls and the undead ( most commons ones i can think of ) is in most popular VN's / H games i played so far ... i still find it hard the title " Katawa Shoujo " pisses ppl of in Japan
Common sense evolved in a different way there, lol :D.

I explained the best I can. Please make note of the fact that I was talking about a specific group, and also see what was written in the topic about the game other than just the title itself.

Elves, fairies etc. could be seen as more attractive than burn victims by those who usually play such games.

They, of course, miss the entire point of Katawa Shoujo, mainly because they failed to play it with the right mindset, or failed to play it at all!
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
boredism

Post by boredism »

Common sense is not common.
People will hate... its common sense but most people deny it making not so common...

Though, if people are bashing this for the political correctness then it is quite sad.
The politically correct way of going about this title will be Girl with Exceptionality.
Yes, exceptionality is currently the word for disabled, retarded, handicapped, genius, etc.
Then needed the "Person First" idea we will have to put the person in front of the adjective so it does not define them.

There are tons of political incorrect dialogue throughout the game, not glaring, but it exists.
Though I do think the political incorrectness in game makes it sound realistic as most people do not even know disabled and handicapped have been considered unacceptable for quite some time. I doubt even the students know the correct term anymore.
Peorth
Zenryoku Zenkai!

Post by Peorth »

Pata Hikari wrote:Wow, I went to gelbooru and you're right. There are basically some trolls doing malicious downvoting of any KS themed picture. The mods there should do something about it.
We can't, really, we don't have the ability to say...lock votes on image uploads, or lock comments from being downvoted.
Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stopped, the story will not end.

Whether it's a comedy or a tragedy, if there is cheering, the story will continue on.

kaz

Post by kaz »

Rivan wrote:
rydiafan wrote:So im lost ... sex with lilly ( who is willing , over 18 but blind ) is offensive in japan ... but raping a 13 year old minor who is healthly ( in rapelay ) is non offensive or less offensive then KS ??
Depends on the language you'd use. In Japan, it's common to attribute different levels of negativity or vulgarity to different words and as such, they wouldn't describe both of the games as "offensive" in the same sense. However, Rapelay, as a title, bears no social stigma. The word "katawa" does. The question of playing - assuming there is an alive, wise person that knows what both games are about, he is far more likely to say Rapelay is the bad, ofensive one, and only mention Katawa Shoujo as "an ok game with a sh*tty title".

But to the average Japanese guy who plays eroge and visits booru sites (who is by no means the average japanese PERSON), Katawa Shoujo is a game with an offensive title that concerns a weird fetish that he'd consider disgusting, whereas Rapelay is a game in which you can have sex with hot chicks with the added thrill of overpowering them and then breaking them to be your willling sex slaves - a valid fantasy, unlike having sex with a girl with burns, or missing some limbs...

im japanese.
its kind of hard to describe why the katawa word is so offensive,its probably similar to "FUCKING USELESS JEWS SHOULD GO TO THE GAS CHAMBER". a katawa person was put down at birth usually as he will be a burden to all.
katawa is a word that should not be used at all time because the word itself hints "Cripples are useless rice leechers" and disgraces the user of the word for being a dickhead and the insulted disabled and the community(japan in general) for having such a disgraceful word in the past.
the_phenom wrote: Don't go on Gelbooru too often. Is there a strong Japanese membership there?

Apparently, the Japanese don't like the game. I think that their culture is probably more opposed to the idea of dating disabled girls than ours is.
this saddens me a little.
you are getting things wrong.
most people that dislike the title dislike it because katawa it is one of the most insulting words that can be said to a disabled person.
the hatred is not to dating disabled people in the story but to the user of such a word.

and as with the japanese wearing fuck me T-Shirts, we dont really care how foreigners use japanese words too.
so you shouldnt really care how the japanese thinks of the title,most would just think "Gaijin are fond of wierd words......"

also gelbooru is unheard of in japan.
ScrotieMcBoogerballs

Post by ScrotieMcBoogerballs »

The real question is: who cares?
Peorth
Zenryoku Zenkai!

Post by Peorth »

Haters gonna hate.

ttestagr

Post by ttestagr »

Also if I remember correctly, didn't the game have a booth at Comiket...

Where it sold out of just about everything.