Emotional Impact

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

BemaniAK

Emotional Impact

Post by BemaniAK »

I knew that a lot of people would get emotionally attached to these characters, but this is going to the extreme.
I don't know if I'm proud of these guys or if I just feel sorry for them.

And then there's this gem

yuastnav

Re: Emotional Impact

Post by yuastnav »

It is very easy to get that emotionally attached to fictional characters, mostly because they are some sort of archetype. Basically the writer created the character and gave that character set of different personality traits, which also means that they have flaws e.g. they are not flawless but you only see what the writer wants you to see.
I like the way it was portrayed by the poet in the Endymion books. "It amuses me to think of World Historical Figures, much less heroes of future myths, paying to get their hair cut." The little details of how people live their lives are not really shown or portrayed in any way so the heroes, or heroines in this case, become sort of legendary or archetypal creatures you look in awe at, from below.

Although the videos i.e. the reactions of these players are rather creepy they are somewhat understandable.
"A short lapse in judgement" does that to you.

[edit]
btw. last video: obvious troll is obvious
the others - not sure. maybe, maybe not
"[...] it's just a ride."
Nightydreams

Post by Nightydreams »

While I do not find myself being largely impressed by these peoples efforts at getting their emotions across I cannot say that I do not understand them, nor can I critisise their judgement.

Katawa Shoujo leaves you fulfilled and attached in a way that few other things could, some of weaker will or perhaps those with a greater desire to connect will find themselves enamoured very easily, I admit I was too though not to this extent.

I do not find these people sad,
I do not find these people creepy,

I think they are being true people, who have fallen in love.

How is falling in love with a girl in a visual novel any different from falling in love with a girl in real life?

you know only what the author wishes you to see, how is that any different from you knowing only what that girl wants to show you?

Attachment and love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.
-Alexander. Infinity Ocean

Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
-Terro, The saddest music in the world
CowPrint

Post by CowPrint »

I'm pretty sure none of these are serious...
None of them...
CosmicGhost

Post by CosmicGhost »

Nightydreams wrote:While I do not find myself being largely impressed by these peoples efforts at getting their emotions across I cannot say that I do not understand them, nor can I critisise their judgement.

Katawa Shoujo leaves you fulfilled and attached in a way that few other things could, some of weaker will or perhaps those with a greater desire to connect will find themselves enamoured very easily, I admit I was too though not to this extent.

I do not find these people sad,
I do not find these people creepy,

I think they are being true people, who have fallen in love.

How is falling in love with a girl in a visual novel any different from falling in love with a girl in real life?

you know only what the author wishes you to see, how is that any different from you knowing only what that girl wants to show you?

Attachment and love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
Amen! But I still can't stop laughing at the I Love you Kenji one.
Chocolates, lol.

'Love With a Hint of Luck' is my fanfic. I just started with the fanfic business, so don't expect me to deliver professional writing.
Emiolev

Post by Emiolev »

CowPrint wrote:I'm pretty sure none of these are serious...
None of them...
I created the Emi video, I have no idea if the Rin video was serious, nor do I care.
I was 100% dead set serious about every single word.
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

If these are real,
I will say I understand how they feels

Not just based on KS, there are people who fall in love with anime characters and stuff.
Japan has people marry themselves to frictional characters. And i wont mention who are those.

My point is, i do understand what these guys feel.
Just that, giving up your girlfriend for 2D girl,
u need to understand the end-result.

2D are more like psychological support and there for you.
If you are more towards physical support, please consider deeply before making this choice...
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
scoopnokes

Post by scoopnokes »

There are those who have waited these years for this VN to come out, and when it did they found an extraordinary story and the characters they grew to feel for them. It's not something weird and I agree that it's just an attachment that some have gained from reading the VN. I find that it's sorta envious that they can speak out like that, but still at the same time that it's still needed to keep in mind that they're not real. The closest thing to having a girl like that for a spouse would mean either: take what you gained from this story/venture and take the main point of the whole story and live life. Go out there and live your life and find someone that you can also have an emotional connection. Katawa Shoujo shows that no matter if you're disabled or not, we're all still people at heart learning and experiencing that same thing as others. So when you live your life, just keep that in mind to not look at the differences but look past them to who people truly are.

Or you can try to hook up with one of the artists/writers since they've been connected with the character the longest and might have taken the traits of teh character into themselves since they had to involve the personality from somewhere.
yuastnav

Post by yuastnav »

scoopnokes wrote:[...] The closest thing to having a girl like that for a spouse would mean either: take what you gained from this story/venture and take the main point of the whole story and live life. Go out there and live your life and find someone that you can also have an emotional connection. Katawa Shoujo shows that no matter if you're disabled or not, we're all still people at heart learning and experiencing that same thing as others. So when you live your life, just keep that in mind to not look at the differences but look past them to who people truly are.
[...]
Very well said! Personally I did not really ponder something like that but I guess you are right.
The thing is that many people will possibly, after some time, find, that such a one-sided relationship is rather unfulfilling but I guess there are some things that they can take away from that whole experience which will help them grow and give them a different outlook on life.
scoopnokes

Post by scoopnokes »

yuastnav wrote:
scoopnokes wrote:[...] The closest thing to having a girl like that for a spouse would mean either: take what you gained from this story/venture and take the main point of the whole story and live life. Go out there and live your life and find someone that you can also have an emotional connection. Katawa Shoujo shows that no matter if you're disabled or not, we're all still people at heart learning and experiencing that same thing as others. So when you live your life, just keep that in mind to not look at the differences but look past them to who people truly are.
[...]
Very well said! Personally I did not really ponder something like that but I guess you are right.
The thing is that many people will possibly, after some time, find, that such a one-sided relationship is rather unfulfilling but I guess there are some things that they can take away from that whole experience which will help them grow and give them a different outlook on life.
Thanks, is this the second time you've agreed with me strongly?
yuastnav

Post by yuastnav »

scoopnokes wrote:
yuastnav wrote:
[...]
Thanks, is this the second time you've agreed with me strongly?
This very well may be the case but that's mostly because you provide a valid and intriguing point that made me think a bit more about these issues!
So thank you for the insights. :)
scoopnokes

Post by scoopnokes »

yuastnav wrote:This very well may be the case but that's mostly because you provide a valid and intriguing point that made me think a bit more about these issues!
So thank you for the insights. :)
There are two things men must not do. One is to not make girls cry...The other is to not handle food crudely!
Rivin

Post by Rivin »

yuastnav wrote:
[...]
Quite true.. I know how these people feel to a degree though. I wouldn't say I am in love with any of the characters, but they do hold a place in my heart now due to the emotional attachment and evokation the game brought out. I see nothing odd about these people whatsoever... They are just being honest, and if it somehow helps them or gives them something they can take into real life from the experience, I applaud them.
Misfile17

Post by Misfile17 »

The thing is that many people will possibly, after some time, find, that such a one-sided relationship is rather unfulfilling but I guess there are some things that they can take away from that whole experience which will help them grow and give them a different outlook on life.[/quote]

Quite true.. I know how these people feel to a degree though. I wouldn't say I am in love with any of the characters, but they do hold a place in my heart now due to the emotional attachment and evokation the game brought out. I see nothing odd about these people whatsoever... They are just being honest, and if it somehow helps them or gives them something they can take into real life from the experience, I applaud them.[/quote]

Well said, I can't deny that I'm ridiculously attached to this game and its characters, It's just such a well put together experience and one that is truly mind blowing,
Evvinartopski

Post by Evvinartopski »

Katawa Shoujo, the male equivalent of Twilight. Except that it's not horrible.

Still gives a weird taste in my mouth though. Blech, time to get mouthbleach.