Emotional Impact

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Rivin

Re: Emotional Impact

Post by Rivin »

Well said, I can't deny that I'm ridiculously attached to this game and its characters, It's just such a well put together experience and one that is truly mind blowing,
exactly.. this is the kind of game I feel that i'll replay every so often, like rereading a favorite novel or listening to a song you haven't heard in a while.. it's just so multifaceted and beautifully enacted.
Negi Springfield

Post by Negi Springfield »

I gotta say that for someone who takes his name from a harem manga, I do horribly when put in a setting with a harem type cast. You would think this would be something I would accell at, but I don't. I can't find a girl who really stands out to me, so I wonder what kind of end I'll get. All the decisions I've been making have been to spread myself evenly around and not play one girl over another. Is this normal or am I weird? Help?
scoopnokes

Post by scoopnokes »

Negi Springfield wrote:I gotta say that for someone who takes his name from a harem manga, I do horribly when put in a setting with a harem type cast. You would think this would be something I would accell at, but I don't. I can't find a girl who really stands out to me, so I wonder what kind of end I'll get. All the decisions I've been making have been to spread myself evenly around and not play one girl over another. Is this normal or am I weird? Help?
sounds to me Mr. Sprinfield that you are used to having a classroom full of girls adore over you that you want all girls. Unfortuantely, Katawa Shoujo won't let you do that and you neeed to be paying attention to a specific girl ;P
Negi Springfield

scoopnokes wrote:
Negi Springfield wrote:I gotta say that for someone who takes his name from a harem manga, I do horribly when put in a setting with a harem type cast. You would think this would be something I would accell at, but I don't. I can't find a girl who really stands out to me, so I wonder what kind of end I'll get. All the decisions I've been making have been to spread myself evenly around and not play one girl over another. Is this normal or am I weird? Help?
sounds to me Mr. Sprinfield that you are used to having a classroom full of girls adore over you that you want all girls. Unfortuantely, Katawa Shoujo won't let you do that and you neeed to be paying attention to a specific girl ;P
I'm sure one of them will stick out to me, but as to who...that's going to be the interesting part. ^^
scoopnokes

Post by scoopnokes »

Negi Springfield wrote:
scoopnokes wrote:
I'm sure one of them will stick out to me, but as to who...that's going to be the interesting part. ^^
just answer naturally and you'll find someone. Asuna isnt' a choice
Negi Springfield

scoopnokes wrote:just answer naturally and you'll find someone. Asuna isnt' a choice
Oh...of course not.

It's funny that Asuna-san wasn't my favorite per se, but it was more Miyazaki-san that stuck out to me ^^. Would you call that foreshadowing? Maybe...you never know.
scoopnokes

Post by scoopnokes »

Negi Springfield wrote:
scoopnokes wrote:just answer naturally and you'll find someone. Asuna isnt' a choice
Oh...of course not.

It's funny that Asuna-san wasn't my favorite per se, but it was more Miyazaki-san that stuck out to me ^^. Would you call that foreshadowing? Maybe...you never know.
-shrug
Setsuna was mine.
Negi

Post by Negi »

dfgadthtgdfsdgjiklogikfujhvdczx c

People gonna get real confused if I start posting in here too...

Well, I made a vid response to Rin guy, but those of you who followed my threads all know the impact it had before it even released.

For me, the story is never over. The fight is never finished. Where others see an end, I see only another chapter's beginning when I write more threads.

Or just say fuck the canon and go nuts with a Bromont style thread and ride a magical motorcycle of manliness across the rainbow bridge to Valhalla.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
-Carl Sagan
Negi Springfield

Negi wrote:dfgadthtgdfsdgjiklogikfujhvdczx c

People gonna get real confused if I start posting in here too...

Well, I made a vid response to Rin guy, but those of you who followed my threads all know the impact it had before it even released.

For me, the story is never over. The fight is never finished. Where others see an end, I see only another chapter's beginning when I write more threads.

Or just say fuck the canon and go nuts with a Bromont style thread and ride a magical motorcycle of manliness across the rainbow bridge to Valhalla.
Hissashiburi da na, Other Negi-kun.

How have you been? We haven't talked since forever, so I'm all ears to know how things have been. Please fill me in on the details.
Negi

Post by Negi »

I spent about 9 months sitting around my house unable to find work after taking a leave of absence from college after I had a nervous breakdown. Classes were difficult and things were snowballing pretty badly, and on top of that OH GOD ALL THE DEATH IT SURROUNDS ME, 3 people that I was close died within the last 6 months. One of which was my grandfather in Scotland whom I was assured was doing well with his amyloidosis, then 10 minutes after talking to my mother, she calls me back to tell me he died. Yeah, quite the shock.

I managed to get a job under the table with a family friend for the last few months before going back to school, kinda screwing up, dropping all but 2 courses and working my ass off to not get kicked out. And I earned high enough grades to replace a previous F and put my GPA over the expulsion threshold.

Oh, and a lot of League of Legends. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much League of Legends. My life is that Penny Arcade comic that discusses how free LoL is.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
-Carl Sagan
viduuskamen

Post by viduuskamen »

It took a very long time to come to terms with the emotional impacts of this game.
I saw the video reactions/responses, and I can say is that those folks are braver than I am. I applaud them for being able to be so frank and willing to share their feelings.
I'm wondering if those that chose Hanako/Lilly could be even more emotional (as I was).

The girls in KS are so well written that they may well have been real, but sadly, we know they aren't.
That doesn't mean their story, personality, reactions and flaws can't affect us.

Your emotions are real, and like Yuno said, you have to examine why.

Even as I type this, it doesn't help me feel any less attached to the characters (especially Hanako), or even diminish the feelings of "love" I had for them.
Yes, I did "fall in love" with the characters.

But it's important not to neglect those who you are close to real life (if applicable); and if anything.
I guess I am trying to convince myself that compartmentalizing is okay, by sharing it publicly; but I do I hope this helps someone too, if they need to do the same.
"It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure."
-Rykn

[I feel like a giant jerk for completing the game.]
Ry74

Post by Ry74 »

Evvinartopski wrote:Katawa Shoujo, the male equivalent of Twilight. Except that it's not horrible.

Still gives a weird taste in my mouth though. Blech, time to get mouthbleach.
From what I've read, I've seen it as the VG realm's equivalent of Brian's Song. You may not cry, but it's all right if you do.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Um... dude.

It's a great game, yes, and very moving, but get a grip. These are fictional characters. The drawings look good, and the personalities are well-crafted, but they are not real people. Getting emotionally attached to them is standard practice in fiction, as is drawing inspiration from their stories: these are, in fact, usually what the author is going for. Even some minor crushing on a character or two isn't uncommon. But falling in love with them, especially at the expense of real-world relationships, is a Bad Idea, capitalized bold-italic underlined.

Seriously. If you're making videos like this and meaning them, you are in too deep. Take a break, get some distance, and come back. You don't want to be the guy they show marrying a DS on the next slow news day.
V2Blast

Post by V2Blast »

Nekken wrote:Um... dude.

It's a great game, yes, and very moving, but get a grip. These are fictional characters. The drawings look good, and the personalities are well-crafted, but they are not real people. Getting emotionally attached to them is standard practice in fiction, as is drawing inspiration from their stories: these are, in fact, usually what the author is going for. Even some minor crushing on a character or two isn't uncommon. But falling in love with them, especially at the expense of real-world relationships, is a Bad Idea, capitalized bold-italic underlined.

Seriously. If you're making videos like this and meaning them, you are in too deep. Take a break, get some distance, and come back. You don't want to be the guy they show marrying a DS on the next slow news day.
Finally, some sanity in this thread.
Pie is delicious.
Heiwatsuki

Post by Heiwatsuki »

CosmicGhost wrote:
Nightydreams wrote:While I do not find myself being largely impressed by these peoples efforts at getting their emotions across I cannot say that I do not understand them, nor can I critisise their judgement.

Katawa Shoujo leaves you fulfilled and attached in a way that few other things could, some of weaker will or perhaps those with a greater desire to connect will find themselves enamoured very easily, I admit I was too though not to this extent.

I do not find these people sad,
I do not find these people creepy,

I think they are being true people, who have fallen in love.

How is falling in love with a girl in a visual novel any different from falling in love with a girl in real life?

you know only what the author wishes you to see, how is that any different from you knowing only what that girl wants to show you?

Attachment and love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
Amen! But I still can't stop laughing at the I Love you Kenji one.
OMG, I HAVE TO ASK THIS EVEN IF ITS IRRELAVENT TO THREAD. WHERE IS YOUR IMAGE SOURCE FROM? I NEED MOAR HANAKO