Online Japanese KS reception

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nekken

Re: Online Japanese KS reception

Post by Nekken »

Totaku wrote:Recently heard a story that suggest that some Japanese are discussing making their own rendition of Katawa Shoujo. Donno why or how come. I don't have a direct link or anything regarding this since it was picked up on twitter on some point.

But from what I was told based on the rumor. They are considering having a Japanese artist known as MAMA do the art. Who's MAMA? Well I got a link via pix (course he's known for his +18 art) to take heed. http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=10358

While I'm at it he posted somewhere his first initial sketches of Misha, Shizune, and Emi.

What's your take on this? I personally think this may be a few Japanese overreacting out of surprised of where KS came from ATM. But yeah is anyone can find some more on this said info that would please me.
This would be the first I've heard of it. Judging from the art style, this "new rendition" appears to be an attempt to argue that KS is a form of cultural appropriation. This new dev team feels that KS, because it is done by people not born into a specific culture with certain storytelling conventions and styles, mocks those styles. So they intend to reverse the roles in an attempt to demonstrate, in some way, how that makes them feel. In MAMA's case, that means adopting an art style that would typically be thought of as Western, or perhaps more to the point, as American.

I'll be interested to see how this goes. I doubt they actually intend to release a game: more likely this will be an archive of pictures, music, and possibly summaries which they will say are analogous to what KS does. If they do release a game, I'll play it and see what they have to say.
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

Nekken wrote:Judging from the art style, this "new rendition" appears to be an attempt to argue that KS is a form of cultural appropriation. This new dev team feels that KS, because it is done by people not born into a specific culture with certain storytelling conventions and styles, mocks those styles. So they intend to reverse the roles in an attempt to demonstrate, in some way, how that makes them feel. In MAMA's case, that means adopting an art style that would typically be thought of as Western, or perhaps more to the point, as American.
This just reminds me of some Iranian newspaper's butthurt threat to make offensive cartoons about Jesus in the wake of the Danish Mohammed cartoons global mega-butthurt. I don't know if they followed through since the response was more or less "please send us a copy".

The Japanese could write a book about cultural appropriation, anyway.
Last edited by Fronzel on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tishr

Post by tishr »

Fronzel wrote:
Nekken wrote:
Totaku wrote:Judging from the art style, this "new rendition" appears to be an attempt to argue that KS is a form of cultural appropriation. This new dev team feels that KS, because it is done by people not born into a specific culture with certain storytelling conventions and styles, mocks those styles. So they intend to reverse the roles in an attempt to demonstrate, in some way, how that makes them feel. In MAMA's case, that means adopting an art style that would typically be thought of as Western, or perhaps more to the point, as American.
This just reminds me of some Iranian newspaper's butthurt threat to make offensive cartoons about Jesus in the wake of the Danish Mohammed cartoons global mega-butthurt. I don't know if they followed through since the response was more or less "please send us a copy".

The Japanese could write a book about cultural appropriation, anyway.
I can't really comment on what the Japanese feel about it, but I've seen at least some Europeans say that they can't appropriate things from American culture, because Americans don't have a "real" culture.
chicunsu

Post by chicunsu »

I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY.... Honestly, they say so loads of crap, while how many of them really knows what they are talking about? 1%...... i still think i'm being nice.
Let them talk crap as much as they want, i will still love this game anyway.
And making a japanese version of the game?
What sickneses are they gonna use?
  • Moe
    Tsundere
    Yandere
    Oppai
and things like that? o.o
''Cheerful disposition, light skin/hair/eyes, poor motors skills, bad balance, short attention span and trouble with words" So... she has a case of moe.
~About misha's disability
Rivin

Post by Rivin »

Totaku wrote:Sancom Wahahahaha!

I don't trust that place even if it was the only online source left on Earth! XD

Oh yeah I may be sort of new but this is relevant to our discussion about Japanese's take on KS. Then maybe I can bring this up....

Recently heard a story that suggest that some Japanese are discussing making their own rendition of Katawa Shoujo. Donno why or how come. I don't have a direct link or anything regarding this since it was picked up on twitter on some point.

But from what I was told based on the rumor. They are considering having a Japanese artist known as MAMA do the art. Who's MAMA? Well I got a link via pix (course he's known for his +18 art) to take heed. http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=10358

While I'm at it he posted somewhere his first initial sketches of Misha, Shizune, and Emi.

What's your take on this? I personally think this may be a few Japanese overreacting out of surprised of where KS came from ATM. But yeah is anyone can find some more on this said info that would please me.
This is odd.. they may be preliminary sketches but I don't like them at all. they just look wrong for some reason lol.. And it's funny because I do like some of Mama's other work.. idk.. I think they just need to accept it already.. meh..
chicunsu

Post by chicunsu »

Rivin wrote:
Totaku wrote:Sancom Wahahahaha!

I don't trust that place even if it was the only online source left on Earth! XD

Oh yeah I may be sort of new but this is relevant to our discussion about Japanese's take on KS. Then maybe I can bring this up....

Recently heard a story that suggest that some Japanese are discussing making their own rendition of Katawa Shoujo. Donno why or how come. I don't have a direct link or anything regarding this since it was picked up on twitter on some point.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7108/1326118997401.jpg

This is odd.. they may be preliminary sketches but I don't like them at all. they just look wrong for some reason lol.. And it's funny because I do like some of Mama's other work.. idk.. I think they just need to accept it already.. meh..
OMG WTF, THIS IS GOING TO BECOME KATAWA SHOUJO.... IF THIS IS HOW THEY LOOK.... Then Katawa Shoujo is doomed in japan....
Last edited by Silentcook on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: DON'T quote images that were just posted, people...
''Cheerful disposition, light skin/hair/eyes, poor motors skills, bad balance, short attention span and trouble with words" So... she has a case of moe.
Ry74

Post by Ry74 »

chicunsu wrote: OMG WTF, THIS IS GOING TO BECOME KATAWA SHOUJO.... IF THIS IS HOW THEY LOOK.... Then Katawa Shoujo is doomed in japan....
Well, the odds are against fan-projects. For every one that gets completed, there about a bajillion that people give up partway through.
chicunsu

Post by chicunsu »

Ry74 wrote:
chicunsu wrote: OMG WTF, THIS IS GOING TO BECOME KATAWA SHOUJO.... IF THIS IS HOW THEY LOOK.... Then Katawa Shoujo is doomed in japan....
Well, the odds are against fan-projects. For every one that gets completed, there about a bajillion that people give up partway through.
Which makes KS even more amazing ;)
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

Japan is the last country that gets to complain about other countries taking what they do and improving upon it. :lol:
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Totaku wrote:While I'm at it he posted somewhere his first initial sketches of Misha, Shizune, and Emi.

notsureif2.png
notsureif2.png (92.63 KiB) Viewed 7443 times
Last edited by Silentcook on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Totaku wrote: While I'm at it he posted somewhere his first initial sketches of Misha, Shizune, and Emi.
Misha and Emi don't look too bad but wtf is wrong with Shizune's face? She looks like Foul Bachelor Frog.
Last edited by Silentcook on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Random Kiwi

Post by Random Kiwi »

I'm not quite sure what to make of the other two, but damn. MAMA's version of Misha is gorgeous. Though it kinda looks like her drills are tied into a knot, there...

That said, I find it kind of hilarious that things are going full circle...

(Well, no; it'd be full circle if there was a extra from a doujin made a westerner that brings up talk from 2channers in making that into a real game, but I digress.)
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

dragonfi wrote:
CindehQ wrote:Certainly if Japan released a dating sim called "Negro Girls" I would probably assume it's an offensive game.
Oh, you will love this peculiar brand of candy we have here in Hungary.
http://m.blog.hu/ga/galm/image/gp_IMG_9303.JPG
http://www.fellowplaza.hu/files/product ... 1582_1.jpg

It's called Negro.

It's original flavor is a black, hard-candy with anise-menthol flavoring.
According to Wikipedia it was invented by Pietro Negro somewhere around 1920. I don't know if this is true, but I'm sure the name of the product is at least a pun on the spanish/portugese word "black".
Apart from the brand, the (bulk) wrapper sports a picture of a chimney-sweeper on it, along with the slogan "The chimney-sweeper of the troath."

So yeah... It's perfectly benign once you look behind the name. (And I do like the herbal-like flavor, but that's beside the point.)
rhfs wrote:Sankaku Complex has a known history of ridiculous sensationalism to make their articles more popular. It looks like this is just another one. I personally don't trust anything the site says.
I think the OP should probably mention something along the lines of this in the first post, using big, friendly letters.

---

Don't you think that it has a strange beauty that our dear KS game is severely handicapped in it's own way, regarding first impressions?
That is pretty ironic, isn't it?

And actually most Americans don't have a problem with the word Negro (mainly because we have the second highest number of Spanish speakers in the world) as long as it's not used to refer to a person, and even some pre-1960s associations have kept the word in their title (like the United Negro College Fund). That said, that candy doesn't sound very delicious to me.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.

Post by Guest »

Screw the haters, the title might translate poorly; but tbh this novel makes people MORE AWARE and UNDERSTANDING of certain issues people have to live with~

I mean hell, I myself am legally blind (though not nearly as bad as Kenji) and I can actual nod in understanding at Lilly and Kenji in the small prejudices they face every day when Hisao has odd reactions to them; and I think it is an insight the writers have as well-i dont know if from personal knowledge, or jsut open-mindedness, but still.

People that bash this game for being discrinatory have obvisouly never even bothered to try it. thus making their voice invalid imo.
Fgw_wolf

Post by Fgw_wolf »

Guest wrote:Screw the haters, the title might translate poorly; but tbh this novel makes people MORE AWARE and UNDERSTANDING of certain issues people have to live with~

I mean hell, I myself am legally blind (though not nearly as bad as Kenji) and I can actual nod in understanding at Lilly and Kenji in the small prejudices they face every day when Hisao has odd reactions to them; and I think it is an insight the writers have as well-i dont know if from personal knowledge, or jsut open-mindedness, but still.

People that bash this game for being discrinatory have obvisouly never even bothered to try it. thus making their voice invalid imo.
In my opinion you can take it even deeper than that. We all have our own emotional luggage we drag around with us and I feel like this was an encouraging example of people overcoming that and being happy. Case and point with Emi in particular being an exact example.