Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ThaGuyWithCake

Re: Ask!

Post by ThaGuyWithCake »

Hello, first time poster here, still finishing the other routes on KS (Completed Rin and Emi).

This may or may not have been discussed in previous threads, but I feel that posting my question here is more appropriate...

Why did you guys label some of the endings of the characters as trueendings? (I.e Rin's neutral ending after being extracted is labelled trueending) Did you guys intend for this to be the true ending/canon ending?? Or was it labelled this way for other reasons. I'm sorry if this question seems redundant, but I would REALLY like some closure on this...

Amazing VS btw, incredibly well written (So well written that my question is really starting to get to me).
An unhealthy obsession with the Cryengine
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Guest wrote:Why make KS ? You had no obligation to, you get nothing in return, it took lots of time and effort, and some of you have jobs, that have nothing to do with games or VNs. So some of you wont even be able to use KS, to show what they can do, if they wanted a certain job.
I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but making KS for me was just the same as making my art for any other purpose. I write music because. It's just something I do, and I imagine that's the same reason many of the others chipped in on it. Creating is something we do for many reasons, be it a means to express ourselves or just for fun.

Although I'd argue that we did got a lot in return; the outstanding positive emotional response from everybody has been immensely gratifying.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

ThaGuyWithCake wrote:Why did you guys label some of the endings of the characters as trueendings? (I.e Rin's neutral ending after being extracted is labelled trueending) Did you guys intend for this to be the true ending/canon ending?? Or was it labelled this way for other reasons. I'm sorry if this question seems redundant, but I would REALLY like some closure on this...
Every ending in the game is equally true and canon. It's a name, nothing more.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

Post by Guest »

Nicol Armarfi wrote:
Guest wrote:Why make KS ? You had no obligation to, you get nothing in return, it took lots of time and effort, and some of you have jobs, that have nothing to do with games or VNs. So some of you wont even be able to use KS, to show what they can do, if they wanted a certain job.
I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but making KS for me was just the same as making my art for any other purpose. I write music because. It's just something I do, and I imagine that's the same reason many of the others chipped in on it. Creating is something we do for many reasons, be it a means to express ourselves or just for fun.

Although I'd argue that we did got a lot in return; the outstanding positive emotional response from everybody has been immensely gratifying.
You may like it, but dosent it feel different to you, when making/doing something for yourself, and doing it for others ? You know if you like the music you make, you know how it feels. But you cant be sure others will feel the same and enjoy it, like you do/did.

True, lots of people seem happy, and im guessing that makes you happy. But I doubt you guys expected such a strong reaction from so many people.
Aura wrote:
It's a good question, but one that might be difficult to answer satisfactorily. Simply put, it's a hobby for us, something we enjoy doing. We like visual novels and find them interesting, as well as our own specialty (for me, writing). There's no special reason to it. Why KS specifically? Coincidence, mostly, for all of us.

To try to make you understand why the question is not really sensible, an example: I also play the piano, I've played it a lot longer than I spent making KS. Would you question why I play the piano? Do you find it difficult to understand why someone would bother to learn to play an instrument? I'm not obligated to, nor do I get anything in return from that either. In fact, I've probably gained a lot more useful skills from my 5 years in 4LS than I've gotten from my music hobby that has lasted almost my entire life. And now with KS released, a thousand times more people have been enjoy it than I've played the piano to. I play the piano for the same reason I write. Is there anything you simply just enjoy doing? We made KS for the same reason.
Maybe its just me, but there is a difference between doing something for yourself, and doing it for others. I cook sometimes, I enjoy it a bit, but dont enjoy cooking for others. Im not 100 sure why, maybe its becuase if I mess up, it only messes up for me, or its easier because I know if its something I like. But there just seems to be a difference between doing things, I enjoy, and doing those things hoping others enjoy them.

Just one other, semi related question. I know you guys started making KS after seeing some artwork. But what made you guys look at that, then make a VN out of it ? Seems odd to get that idea, just from a drawing.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Guest wrote:You may like it, but dosent it feel different to you, when making/doing something for yourself, and doing it for others ? You know if you like the music you make, you know how it feels. But you cant be sure others will feel the same and enjoy it, like you do/did.

True, lots of people seem happy, and im guessing that makes you happy. But I doubt you guys expected such a strong reaction from so many people.
Everyone has unique tastes and interprets things differently; I would be more worried if they all felt the same way as I do about my work.
TehIshter

Post by TehIshter »

Nicol Armarfi wrote:
TehIshter wrote:The similarity is uncanny. Is it on purpose that you guys referenced a track from Planetarian?
Nope. I've gotten a lot of comments of this sort before (compare this with this for example), but most of the time the similarities were not intentional. There is a fairly lengthy quote of O'Canada in the track Nocturne, though.
Cool beans, thanks for clearing it up!
Dragonbait

Post by Dragonbait »

First of all I'd like to thank you all, this probably stands as my favourite VN I've read up until now and the music was superb.

Just a question to the Australian guys, do you think you'll do something at another con like you did in Tasmania?
Also what was the story behind the last con, did you get asked to go or was it something you put yourselves up for?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Dragonbait wrote:First of all I'd like to thank you all, this probably stands as my favourite VN I've read up until now and the music was superb.

Just a question to the Australian guys, do you think you'll do something at another con like you did in Tasmania?
Also what was the story behind the last con, did you get asked to go or was it something you put yourselves up for?

I didn't do Tasmania (I'd imagine that was Suriko's doing) but we also did a panel in Melbourne. We were asked to come along to that, and it happened to co-incide with a business trip for me, so I said okay.

If I were asked again I would have to check my schedule, but I'm not opposed to it. The others might have a different take on it.

And for the person that was asking about motivation for doing this, I would advise you to check out Flow by <A Russian name I can pronounce but have no hope of spelling>.

It goes into the psychology of intrinsic motivation, which I think is the thing that helped everyone get through the project.

I will also admit that there is a certain degree of not wanting to let others down involved. If I were working by myself I might release something, but then again leaving it isn't such a problem. But when you have 20 other people that you are working with, you don't want to be the guy that lets the team down (which, of course, I did). The heartache of leaving something and knowing that you will be creating heaps of problems for others makes it hard to leave. And that same teamwork motivates you. It's like building a fort with your friends; you're all working towards a goal (no matter how trivial), and it's more about the time you're sharing together than the end product.

That being said the end product is pretty bitchin'
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money

Post by Guest »

cpl_crud wrote:
Dragonbait wrote:First of all I'd like to thank you all, this probably stands as my favourite VN I've read up until now and the music was superb.

I didn't do Tasmania (I'd imagine that was Suriko's doing) but we also did a panel in Melbourne. We were asked to come along to that, and it happened to co-incide with a business trip for me, so I said okay.

If I were asked again I would have to check my schedule, but I'm not opposed to it. The others might have a different take on it.

And for the person that was asking about motivation for doing this, I would advise you to check out Flow by <A Russian name I can pronounce but have no hope of spelling>.

It goes into the psychology of intrinsic motivation, which I think is the thing that helped everyone get through the project.

I will also admit that there is a certain degree of not wanting to let others down involved. If I were working by myself I might release something, but then again leaving it isn't such a problem. But when you have 20 other people that you are working with, you don't want to be the guy that lets the team down (which, of course, I did). The heartache of leaving something and knowing that you will be creating heaps of problems for others makes it hard to leave. And that same teamwork motivates you. It's like building a fort with your friends; you're all working towards a goal (no matter how trivial), and it's more about the time you're sharing together than the end product.

That being said the end product is pretty bitchin'
I dont think anyone, let anyone down. The game turned out great, and everything you did was voluntary, some of you have jobs and other requirements. No one expects you to put a voluntary project before real life.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Here's a real left-field question:

Were Misha's drills a reference to the "drill girls" page, one of the two other pages that Raita included with the original "cripple girls" page?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:Here's a real left-field question:

Were Misha's drills a reference to the "drill girls" page, one of the two other pages that Raita included with the original "cripple girls" page?
No.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:Here's a real left-field question:

From memory we had two artists (both left the project long ago I think...) that drew character sketches for Misha. One of them was blond...

But yeah the drill-hair was just there. As for the reasoning you'll probably have to trawl the internet to find them and ask them...
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
jc

Post by jc »

Hi, before coming to the question I really want to thank you for this VN, one of my favorite, and one offew with a really interesting plot. :D

I just wanted to know what Programming language did you used for this game...
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

jc wrote:Hi, before coming to the question I really want to thank you for this VN, one of my favorite, and one offew with a really interesting plot. :D

I just wanted to know what Programming language did you used for this game...
KS is made with Ren'Py, which is Python-based.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Aura wrote:
ThaGuyWithCake wrote:Why did you guys label some of the endings of the characters as trueendings? (I.e Rin's neutral ending after being extracted is labelled trueending) Did you guys intend for this to be the true ending/canon ending?? Or was it labelled this way for other reasons. I'm sorry if this question seems redundant, but I would REALLY like some closure on this...
Every ending in the game is equally true and canon. It's a name, nothing more.
And to compound this further, at various times we referred to various endings by different names that didn't make it into the game at all, such as "dead", "shark", "worse", "sad", and "muffin".

See, you just made a very good argument in favor of our dislike of extracting assets here.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.