Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
kryzja
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:00 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by kryzja » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:43 pm

As some "context" for this question, I want to say I feel like complete garbage for being so late to the party. I remember seeing lots of KS content years ago but never thought I'd be interested in VNs. Well, here I am years later regretting that. I could go on about what KS has done for me, but I'm sure you've heard it plenty.

Have you noticed bursts in popularity with Katawa Shoujo over the years? Of course there were the successes in popularity early, but has there been certain events or times (that weren't just localizations) which caused an influx of downloads or fans? I know from a previous question that you weren't able to track downloads anymore, but has there ever been a spike in popularity through what outlooks you have available?

User avatar
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by cpl_crud » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:19 pm

kryzja wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:43 pm
As some "context" for this question, I want to say I feel like complete garbage for being so late to the party. I remember seeing lots of KS content years ago but never thought I'd be interested in VNs. Well, here I am years later regretting that. I could go on about what KS has done for me, but I'm sure you've heard it plenty.

Have you noticed bursts in popularity with Katawa Shoujo over the years? Of course there were the successes in popularity early, but has there been certain events or times (that weren't just localizations) which caused an influx of downloads or fans? I know from a previous question that you weren't able to track downloads anymore, but has there ever been a spike in popularity through what outlooks you have available?
There's no real way to track the downloads etc (a lot of them are via Torrent anyway) but I do know that the various communities (Reddit, Twitter, here) get busy at certain times. There's a bit of a resurgence now due to Doki Doki Literature Club; a lot of people are reading that now and finding out about KS that way. There have been previous incidents that have been the same, like when KS was talked about on the Gaming Subreddit, and also when we were on the top page of TV Tropes. So those things keep on happening.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money

User avatar
Black Knight
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Black Knight » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:30 am

If Emi were missing her arms below her elbows instead of her legs below the knees, would she still run? Or would she find a way to become the pull up queen of Japan? The strongest arm wrestler with no arms?

God, I love Emi. <3

User avatar
dedsec
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by dedsec » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 am

What was the name of the first song made for Katawa Shoujo?
It's not how far you get before your done, but what you accomplish getting there.

User avatar
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by cpl_crud » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am

dedsec wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 am
What was the name of the first song made for Katawa Shoujo?
I can't remember the name... If it even had a name.... But I do know that it was piano only...


I started rearranging it but have up when I started writing the Hanako path.

Fun fact: because I had the MIDI file of the song, it is the only KS song that has been played on the Sydney Opera house organ.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 5775
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ask!

Post by Mirage_GSM » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 am

Did you work there or do they take visitor submissions?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by cpl_crud » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:54 pm

I worked there.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money

User avatar
ArcCain
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:00 am
Location: The internet.

Re: Ask!

Post by ArcCain » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:05 am

cpl_crud wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am
dedsec wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 am
What was the name of the first song made for Katawa Shoujo?
Fun fact: because I had the MIDI file of the song, it is the only KS song that has been played on the Sydney Opera house organ.
Nicely done, Crud. Do you still have it or is it lost to time?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer find ways around them.

User avatar
Scroff
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: Ask!

Post by Scroff » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:20 am

Was Jigoro Hakamichi named after Jigoro Kano, founder of Judo?

User avatar
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by cpl_crud » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:45 am

ArcCain wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:05 am
cpl_crud wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am
dedsec wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 am
What was the name of the first song made for Katawa Shoujo?
Fun fact: because I had the MIDI file of the song, it is the only KS song that has been played on the Sydney Opera house organ.
Nicely done, Crud. Do you still have it or is it lost to time?
There is a fairly good chance that is is lost.
I had my laptop stolen in 2009 and that had a lot of the original KS stuff on it.
However, I do also have a big wad of hard drives sitting in my desk that might have it there. I likely would have worked on it using my main PC so there is a chance that if I dig hard enough I could find it.
But I also had a RAID failure in 2016 that wiped out 18 months of data... but I think that was well after KS....
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money

TheHivemind
Path Writer
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by TheHivemind » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:14 pm

Man, what is it with people stealing laptops with KS shit on it? I am pretty sure that's where most of the early KS stuff I did went. The only thing that survived was the last like, two drafts of Emi's path.

User avatar
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by cpl_crud » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm

TheHivemind wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:14 pm
Man, what is it with people stealing laptops with KS shit on it? I am pretty sure that's where most of the early KS stuff I did went. The only thing that survived was the last like, two drafts of Emi's path.
Protip: the secret forums still exists, so as long as you posted it there I can retrieve it for you
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money

User avatar
a1fox3
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:39 am

Re: Ask!

Post by a1fox3 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:25 pm

cpl_crud wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm
TheHivemind wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:14 pm
Man, what is it with people stealing laptops with KS shit on it? I am pretty sure that's where most of the early KS stuff I did went. The only thing that survived was the last like, two drafts of Emi's path.
Protip: the secret forums still exists, so as long as you posted it there I can retrieve it for you
God I wish you guys would have taken KS just a few more steps in that after collage MC gets married to the girl and have kids.
Having the endings like you all did with Lilly, after the credits.
Image

TheHivemind
Path Writer
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask!

Post by TheHivemind » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:07 pm

cpl_crud wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm
Protip: the secret forums still exists, so as long as you posted it there I can retrieve it for you
Some things are best left buried, I think.

User avatar
ArcCain
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:00 am
Location: The internet.

Re: Ask!

Post by ArcCain » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Didn't Aura say something like you didn't want it to be a 'true love' story but rather a more realistic story of kids taking their first steps as adults?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer find ways around them.

Post Reply