Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook »

He does now. Since the guy ripped our backgrounds, sprites and music I'm removing your link while waiting for further reactions, which I'd expect to be unpleasant.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

SylonBPC

Post by SylonBPC »

brythain wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:31 pm Does Suriko know that Summer's Clover has been turned into a sort of VN?
Man that's just wrong It is not a fanfic or something, you are talking about a new project based on material that don't belong to whoever is doing that VN or even allowed to use the license for create a VN like that using their resources (sprites, backgrounds, etc) and the script made by Surikoo, even if it's free that's just abusing of others work.
Knight_in_fire

Post by Knight_in_fire »

1) I'm getting the feeling, that the inspiration for Lilly's theme "Concord" was "Sunshine on Leith" by The Proclaimers. It has the same vibe.
2) It's sad, that Miki and Suzu couldn't become a route, even, if the prototype existed. Oh well, but that's the reality. There wouldn't be this rip off mentioned above, if it was implemented. But... yeah.

The main thing is, that it would be have to be rewritten from Hisao's perspective.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Knight_in_fire wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:36 pm 1) I'm getting the feeling, that the inspiration for Lilly's theme "Concord" was "Sunshine on Leith" by The Proclaimers. It has the same vibe.
2) It's sad, that Miki and Suzu couldn't become a route, even, if the prototype existed. Oh well, but that's the reality. There wouldn't be this rip off mentioned above, if it was implemented. But... yeah.

The main thing is, that it would be have to be rewritten from Hisao's perspective.
If you make a fan work you can do whatever you like, really.

To be fair I really enjoy writing things from Hanako's perspective, and I tried to do Lilly for Duet (the Winter KS artbook)
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

What happened to the forum? Will we get the old look back?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Return to "Public Discussion", read the top announcement.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

WopWop

Post by WopWop »

Do you really think Hanako's route was acceptable?
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

WopWop wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:13 pm Do you really think Hanako's route was acceptable?
Pretty sure we've answered this question before in this very thread but yes obviously if it made it into the game we thought it was good enough to be in the game.

Some folk liked it. Some folk didn't. So it goes.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Knight_in_fire wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:36 pm 1) I'm getting the feeling, that the inspiration for Lilly's theme "Concord" was "Sunshine on Leith" by The Proclaimers. It has the same vibe.
had to reset my password so i could login and tell u

no
Merrycatch22

Post by Merrycatch22 »

What did the editors, like Silentcook, of Katawa Shoujo do? As in, what where their jobs? Did they write minor characters, parts of the heroines? I was blazing through the fan works the devs wrote, and Summer's Clover tastes like Lilly, the Old series tastes like Emi, and so on. But Silentcook's writing just sort of feels a bit like Katawa Shoujo in general, did he spread his writing throughout everything? Perhaps I've been hit with some psychological effect.

What is the image in the pink flash that Hisao sees in Emi's Act 2, when Hisao is going to visit the sick Emi and has some lewd thoughts? It's too fast for me to recognize.

Is there a list of other dev projects that is stored somewhere? I had only heard of Suriko's Salty Salty Studios yesterday. What about a list of dev fan fiction? I enjoyed the Aoyama Chiyo route and all the future Hanakos and etc. from Silentcook and cpl_crud.

Also, where do I ask about the broken search function I realize the Support subforum is for the game and not this forum
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I proofread and corrected grammar and syntax issues, did some reality checking and controlled continuity, provided feedback to and requested rewriting from the writers, wrote interstitial text, reworked or axed dead weight. All over.

None of the minor characters were "owned" by me, or by any of the writers specifically. The more they appear in a certain branch, the more that branch's writer was an "authority" on them, so to speak.

No list of dev projects or works exists to my knowledge, but there's a dev stalking guide on the blog.

Also, the Support subforum is the right place to ask about that... and no, I can't do anything about it myself. :?

dedsec

Post by dedsec »

How long did it take to write the script of Katawa Shoujo?
It's not how far you get before your done, but what you accomplish getting there.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

dedsec wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:59 pm How long did it take to write the script of Katawa Shoujo?
The wine game took about 5 years, but there were lots of re-writes.

I'd say a single path took about 2 years to write, but that's not entirely accurate

------
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
kryzja

Post by kryzja »

As some "context" for this question, I want to say I feel like complete garbage for being so late to the party. I remember seeing lots of KS content years ago but never thought I'd be interested in VNs. Well, here I am years later regretting that. I could go on about what KS has done for me, but I'm sure you've heard it plenty.

Have you noticed bursts in popularity with Katawa Shoujo over the years? Of course there were the successes in popularity early, but has there been certain events or times (that weren't just localizations) which caused an influx of downloads or fans? I know from a previous question that you weren't able to track downloads anymore, but has there ever been a spike in popularity through what outlooks you have available?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

kryzja wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:43 pm As some "context" for this question, I want to say I feel like complete garbage for being so late to the party. I remember seeing lots of KS content years ago but never thought I'd be interested in VNs. Well, here I am years later regretting that. I could go on about what KS has done for me, but I'm sure you've heard it plenty.

Have you noticed bursts in popularity with Katawa Shoujo over the years? Of course there were the successes in popularity early, but has there been certain events or times (that weren't just localizations) which caused an influx of downloads or fans? I know from a previous question that you weren't able to track downloads anymore, but has there ever been a spike in popularity through what outlooks you have available?
There's no real way to track the downloads etc (a lot of them are via Torrent anyway) but I do know that the various communities (Reddit, Twitter, here) get busy at certain times. There's a bit of a resurgence now due to Doki Doki Literature Club; a lot of people are reading that now and finding out about KS that way. There have been previous incidents that have been the same, like when KS was talked about on the Gaming Subreddit, and also when we were on the top page of TV Tropes. So those things keep on happening.

------